How do you power your real guitar cabs?

BakerySpecial

I would like to pick up a power amp to power a 2x12 mesa cab. What are you using? Are there any full range tube power amps out there worth checking out. I assume from research the Matrix gt1000fx with be the most suggested option...Thanks

I would like to pick up a power amp to power a 2x12 mesa cab. What are you using? Are there any full range tube power amps out there worth checking out. I assume from research the Matrix gt1000fx with be the most suggested option...Thanks

I think a flat, full range tube power amp would be kind of an oxymoron, at least outside the world of high end audiophile stereo stuff.

The whole point of a tube power amp is really the coloration it provides to the audio signal.

Seymour Duncan PS 170. Check the Amps and Cabs section. Everything has been discussed ad nauseam.

^ this, I've had pretty good luck with one of these myself , powering a mesa 2X12 cab.

Last edited:
Harley Benton GPA-400.
It's probably not at the level of Matrix and SD (never tried those or other hi-end power amps) but it works flawlessly and it's pretty good for the price.

I have not used the Seymour but have had the Matrix 1000 twice and sold it twice. Just never liked the feel although it’s probably better with the newer firmware. It was very lightweight and was only 1U rack space.

I have a PS2 and love it for mono use. It is lightweight, has great feel, very transparent and will be a keeper.

My favorite is my Atomic 50/50. It’s stereo and is very transparent and feels great with a traditional cab. It’s a bit more rare but can be found with patience and relatively inexpensive (paid $350). It’s also extremely well manufactured. The con is it fairly heavy so the portability is not ideal.

To this point the quilter pro block 200 into a pure 64 1x12 loaded with a 12L is the best “amp” feel I’ve had. I hate FRFR and need my setup to be amp like, so the ampiness of the quilter and an EQ get me closer to forgetting my tube amps.

Back
Top Bottom