How do you pan stereo cabs in your rhytm presets?

When using the enhancer I put it first in the stereo signal chain to convert a mono input into a stereo output.
I'm curious as to how this works as I have never heard of it used anywhere but the end of the chain?

Are you running two separate chains after the Enhancer? Many effects, including the Amp block (I believe), collapse the input to mono.

Why not hard-pan and leave it to the soundguy?
Because not every sound guy gets it.if you do the mild panning yourself, the worst he can do is collapse you to mono. If you pan hard, he can still collapse you to mono, but he can also leave you panned hard in the mains, which could be bad news.

Because not every sound guy gets it.if you do the mild panning yourself, the worst he can do is collapse you to mono. If you pan hard, he can still collapse you to mono, but he can also leave you panned hard in the mains, which could be bad news.

Can you elaborate on that? Since most FOH mains are (at most) dual mono, what would be the downside? If I'm already panning, that would give me a L/R output, no? Unless, I suppose, I have different levels left versus right...

Can you elaborate on that? Since most FOH mains are (at most) dual mono, what would be the downside? If I'm already panning, that would give me a L/R output, no? Unless, I suppose, I have different levels left versus right...
Depending on the venue, hard-panning your signal could result in part of the house not hearing part of your signal. If you pan your own signal moderately, that won’t happen, because FOH can never pan your signal more than what you send them.

Depending on the venue, hard-panning your signal could result in part of the house not hearing part of your signal. If you pan your own signal moderately, that won’t happen, because FOH can never pan your signal more than what you send them.
Note that I’m talking about true-stereo venues here. If the venue is mono, your own panning is irrelevant.

I'm curious as to how this works as I have never heard of it used anywhere but the end of the chain?

Are you running two separate chains after the Enhancer? Many effects, including the Amp block (I believe), collapse the input to mono.

No. I just put reverb and stereo delays behind it. I treat the enhancer like a chorus.

No. I just put reverb and stereo delays behind it. I treat the enhancer like a chorus.
I think maybe I read your previous post wrong. You are not putting it first in your signal chain, your putting at the beginning of the stereo part of the chain, right? Somewhere post Amp or Cab block?

I run stereo only if I'm the only guitarist. I pan my stereo effects around 2/3, between the amp and cab block, then I use the same IR twice and hard panned. The right IR is delayed in the cab block. No enhancer after, but a (dual) delay that simulates a cab room for each IR, so hard panned as well (made a thread recently about it). I need all my effects before the IRs since I send them to my real cab as well.

Reading all those posts, is the world so full of bad soundguys and monovenues? Was I lucky all the time with my venues where i mixed? Is the trust in soundguys so low that u dont even trust them in panning?

Reading all those posts, is the world so full of bad soundguys and monovenues? Was I lucky all the time with my venues where i mixed? Is the trust in soundguys so low that u dont even trust them in panning?

I would say it's an issue of trust but rather the potential of running into to that dive where all you have a slider jockey that his only job is to make sure it's not too loud.

I think it's an American thing. I've never come across a mono PA in Europe.

I run stereo only if I'm the only guitarist. I pan my stereo effects around 2/3, between the amp and cab block, then I use the same IR twice and hard panned. The right IR is delayed in the cab block. No enhancer after, but a (dual) delay that simulates a cab room for each IR, so hard panned as well (made a thread recently about it). I need all my effects before the IRs since I send them to my real cab as well.
Thanks. I need some guidance. I have recently become the only guitar player in my main band. I need to figure how to adjust my rig to fill more space, etc. Please point me to your thread. Any presets you could share that show the set up you described? Thanks.

For live, hard L, hard R or center are the only pan positions that make sense to me.

I run mono on all the big stages and dual mono if its a small show.

@curious here's the thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/finally-figured-the-best-room-simulation-for-a-cab.134942/

I join a patch using it stereo with all the tricks I can't live without. Use the secretfluid 2 IR, link in my signature. It's my main IR generally. You'll also see a special envelope modifier on the mix% of the first delay, in case you wonder it's a 1st-reflection killer. As you lower the volume of your pickup, entering clean territory, you'll reach a point where the stronger you attack the strings the lower the mix%, which softens the delay. Whereas when you keep the pickup volume higher, it has the opposite effect and tame the next reflections when you stop playing.

Attachments

• STEREO LIVE SETTINGS.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Every place I've played has been stereo as well. The key to getting what you need as a player and building trust with the sound man is to communicate with them. Contact them and let them know the rig you're going to run well in advance. The issues I've seen are when guys show up with a stereo rig and the stage plot was set up for one line. The guitar player gets offended because seriously, how can anyone play mono, and the sound guy has to figure out how to run an additional line on top of what he already has to do. I have never had an issue getting what I need anywhere I've played. There are cases where the sound guy is less than knowledgeable and I've had to spend some time explaining what I need but it's well worth the effort. Being courteous and professional will go a long way to having a good experience and great tone in the room.

@curious here's the thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/finally-figured-the-best-room-simulation-for-a-cab.134942/

I join a patch using it stereo with all the tricks I can't live without. Use the secretfluid 2 IR, link in my signature. It's my main IR generally. You'll also see a special envelope modifier on the mix% of the first delay, in case you wonder it's a 1st-reflection killer. As you lower the volume of your pickup, entering clean territory, you'll reach a point where the stronger you attack the strings the lower the mix%, which softens the delay. Whereas when you keep the pickup volume higher, it has the opposite effect and tame the next reflections when you stop playing.
This is huge. Thanks man.

Back
Top Bottom