How do you organise your patches on your floor controller?

Roland

Experienced
How do you arrange patches and stomps on your floor controller? I'm deciding how to arrange patch and stomp switching on my FCB1010 for live use, and would like to know what other people do. Players with other controllers may also have useful viewpoints.

My first thought is to have one bank for each amp type, with five patches per bank, getting progressively dirtier from left to right. Old versions of patches will be saved in the higher banks, where I can bring them back for comparison.

The five stomps will operate effects: tremolo, phaser or chorus, drive, mid boost, and something patch specific.

The FCB1010 has two continuous controllers, one of which will be wah, with auto on-off. In the past I've always had a volume pedal, but don't use it very often. I'm wondering if there another use.

What do you do?

I'm using FCB1010 as well, and trying to figure out the most optimal way to arrange the patches. I tried with stomp boxes on top row, but I realized bottom row is better, if you need to switch them more than presets, as I do. Since FCB1010 has only five slots for effects (though they can have two effects programmed per slot), you need to make some compromises. Here's my current setup:

- Presets on top row, stomp boxes on bottom
- The first bank contains the presets that I use most of the time: Three dirty and two clean.
- Stomps:
-- 1: Output volume increase together with Drive block (for solos)
-- 2: Reverb. On by default.
-- 3: Delay / MultiDelay
-- 4: Chorus / Phaser
-- 5: <have not decided yet>

Wah is with auto on/off. I'm using volume pedal now for Volume/Pan block at the beginning of chain, but I probably won't need that too much either. So maybe I could use it to control e.g. Chorus and Phaser Mix parameter.

The combined Output volume increase and Drive block looks like a good idea, but I have not tried that yet with the band. I'm changing output volume from value 115 to 127 (Matman's suggestions in another message) and kick in a Drive block at the same time. With Drive I can add gain to dirty sounds and some "punch" to cleaner sounds, using a right Preamp block and drive value.

I have a LF Pro and a LF jr.
Since the FCB1010 is more like a LF Jr. here's my setup:

from left to right upper row:
DRIVE - DELAY - TRE - PHA

from left to right lower row: from clean to solo

then there is a 9th button on the LF jr. which is normally the MENU-button.
this button is for me: tap-tempo and tuner when holding between 2s & 3s.

Expr. Pedal is auto wah

I'm on a GCPro, but I'll throw my setup out there anyway...

Top Row (IAs): Delay 1, Delay 2, Misc (might be a shimmer, vibrato, pitch effect, etc), Tuner
Middle Row (IAs): Comp, Drive, Trem, Solo Boost (strictly a boost of patch volume)
Bottom Row (PCs): Clean (currently Matchless, but this one changes from time to time), OD (almost always Topboost), Mid-gain (1987X), High gain (Euro Red)

This one bank has been everything I needed for just about every gig in the last year or more. With these patches I'm almost always able to get exactly what I need for any given tune. Obviously I don't play a lot of metal though (the Euro Red patch will cover that though when I need it). This is all run direct to FOH.

I used to have a second bank right after this one with a similar layout just with different amp tones to work with, but I found myself very rarely using it. I've been sticking with this one bank now for a long time because I'm so happy with these four patches and the ground they cover. YMMV.

D

Banks of 5 based on how I group them (with what works for my live uses). I use "Song Mode" with banks of 5 presets. I use the "Songs" as a way to put the presets in groups that work with the way my brain works. So my first bank is Fender Twin, Marshall JCM800, Brown, Marsha BE, Marsha HBE. I call the 'Song" "Marshall+". Each bank features a certain group of presets setup for the way I need to work. If a gig calls for certain songs/tones - I'll group presets I need on a new "song" (aka bank) and then next to the songs on the songlist on the floor, but the preset bank/number. Works for me.

Here's my board for a better idea of what I talking about:

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

That Plexi preset is on "Song 5" or as I think of it, Custom Bank 5 (RootsRock2). So on my song list at the gig, I'll put a "SO5/4" (Bank 5/Preset 4) for that preset.

Last edited:
FCB1010 here.

Stomps control the first effect blocks only. Reason I do that is if I want a reverb or delay to be on all the time in addition to a switchable one I can differentiate between the two.

Stomps are also grouped meaning that compression and drive are on 1, all delay types are on 2, pitch type effects on 3, chorus, phase, flange on 4 and all reverbs on 5. This is also where having the first blocks assigned is important, if I have a compressor and drive, but only want to switch the drive on and off I can put compressor block 2 and drive block 1 in the preset and it only switches the drive.

And like voes most of my banks are set up clean to progressively nastier.

Tap tempo and tuner are on seperate switches using the controller inputs on the back of the AxeFX.

Stomps are also grouped meaning that compression and drive are on 1, all delay types are on 2, pitch type effects on 3, chorus, phase, flange on 4 and all reverbs on 5. This is also where having the first blocks assigned is important, if I have a compressor and drive, but only want to switch the drive on and off I can put compressor block 2 and drive block 1 in the preset and it only switches the drive.

Sasha, you mentioned chorus, phase and flange on 4. Is there a way to switch more than two effects on/off at the same time with FCB1010?

I arrange mine in three ways: The groups I play in sequentially, as in HRG #1, 2 and so on. I have four different band categories like that. Then I arrange them in terms of song titles. Huh. I can't remember the third category.

Sasha, you mentioned chorus, phase and flange on 4. Is there a way to switch more than two effects on/off at the same time with FCB1010?
Sure. There's two ways to do it, either assign those effects to the same CC# in AxeFX or assign up to two CC#'s for each IA in the FCB1010.

Sure. There's two ways to do it, either assign those effects to the same CC# in AxeFX or assign up to two CC#'s for each IA in the FCB1010.

"...assign effects to the same CC# in AxeFX..." - yes, that's the trick! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom