1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you open the program after installing it?

Discussion in 'MFC-Edit' started by tabqwerty, Jul 5, 2018.

1. tabqwerty

tabqwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

[​IMG] I click on the 'MFC-Edit' desktop icon made after running the setup, then it just opens another .zip file folder (.jar). Is it supposed to do this? (There's no .exe in this new folder.)

2. tabqwerty

tabqwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

3. tabqwerty

tabqwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm using Windows 10 Professional OEM and a Mark 1 MFC-101 (that's connected to the original Axe-FX II via ethernet cable that isn't turned on right now. Should I turn it on?).

4. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Do you have java installed?

If not, install it...

5. tabqwerty

tabqwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yeah, it was mandatorily installed by the program's installer before the program itself.

6. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

tabqwerty likes this.
  7. bwanagary

bwanagary
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

On Windows versions, if the file associations are incorrect (which can happen if a) they've been manually changed or b) another software application has been installed that has changed them) then by default a .jar file (java archive) will not be opened by the Java runtime but instead by the Zip, WinZip. 7-zip programs. 99.9% of the time it is the installation of a compress/zip program that has caused this problem on all Windows systems. Some things you can try: Uninstall the zip program you installed, uninstall Java, reinstall java (do not yet reinstall your Winzip/Other-zip program yet) and then try to launch MFC-Edit. Alternatively, you can reset the default "File Associations" using either the Windows tools or other utilities. Here are some links that might be helpful:
    1. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/394616/running-jar-file-on-windows
    2. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-reset-file-associations-windows/
    The editor is working just fine - the problem is a Windows misconfiguration. Link #1 is the best place to start.

tabqwerty and unix-guy like this.
  8. tabqwerty

tabqwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thank you. I think I've got it from here.

Could I use my registration key on both my desktop (home recording) and laptop (live performance)?

9. bwanagary

bwanagary
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Awesome. Glad you got it sorted out.
    I'm okay with it if you use your key on both computers as long as they are the same OS (eg, both Windows or both MAC). Otherwise you'll need two licenses. Also, and this is just my opinion, I rather think it unlikely that you'll be editing MFC-101 settings at a live gig; if you do something wrong you could disrupt your performance :).