How do you increase your guitars volume when playing a solo?

How do you increase your guitars volume when playing a solo?

• Total voters
I am using several techniques, from vol knob over PU switch to pedal and then some.

There is one thing though worth mentioning and that's monitoring. I go FRFR using my own two monitors. Usually the venue's sound guys provide me with an additional monitor on which I always ask them to give me the master signal. I feed my own monitors with the AxeFx Out2 stereo signal which mirrors Out1 which goes to FoH. On my pedal board there is a selfmade box with a rotating pot which is connected to the MFC controlling the volume of out2. That way the sound guys can mix my guitar signal the way they like it to the master signal and I can adjust the volume of my guitar monitor signal with the tips of my toes the way I like it. That's just perfect. No more asking the stage hands to up the guitar monitors volume during the show and still never having it to my taste and needs.

Cliff has made it too easy with the virtual arsenal of tools. I typically use scenes, but when I want control over the amount of volume boost I'll just put a null filter block at the end of the chain and attach a controller pedal to the output level between a range (say 0-3dB).

For the majority of my professional career I used a dedicated pedal assigned to output volume. In the early days it was a volume pedal between the preamp and power amp. In the latter days it was an expression pedal assigned to the output volume on the Axe-Fx.
+1 on this method. It's also nice to be able to "swell" to the boosted volume. It sounds more natural.

I use an IA switch to do a global boost from my MFC101, however, lately my guitar has been cutting through the mix so well that I haven't even bothered with boosting my sound anymore. Even with the sound guy trimming me back a lot, I tend to cut through the mix very well and I don't need the extra boost. I do use mid heavy patches so that probably helps a lot.

Then I use an Expression pedal after the amp (before the cab) so if I need to pull back a lot then that works very well.

Varies. Sometimes I just use the volume knob, sometimes a pedal/footswitch boost, or a volume pedal. Or sometimes a combination of all three. No set method. Dependent upon the situation and what is required tonally.

filter block at end of chain, +4 or +6 db Level. slight bass roll off.
I use that too, Chris, but I never considered the bass roll-off, which I like, because I feel like I need to cut through the mix a bit more on my solo's. Good tip! Thx.

I use a filter block with a dbboost at the end of the chain. It also comes in handy when you want to clean up with your volume knob and still need a little more volume.

IA switch filter block with a little extra mid, X is +2.5db, Y is +4db.

For a while I did it differently - 2 switches assigned to VOL INCR and VOL DECR. Here's the explanation from the manual.
OUT 1 VOL INCR, OUT 1 VOL DECR NONE/PEDAL…/0-127 These two options provide a convenient way to increase or decrease the OUT 1 (MAIN) VOLUME volume of the currently loaded Scene in the current preset. This can be a very useful tool when you need to normalize the levels of different presets while playing with a band in a rehearsal situation. Each time VOL INCR is triggered by a CC# value greater than 63, the value for MAIN in the OUTPUT 1 mixer is increased by 1.0 dB and the preset is instantly saved. VOLUME DECR works the same way, decreasing volume. IMPORTANT! Any other unsaved changes such as altered effects will also be stored if either VOLUME INCR or VOLUME DECR is triggered. WARNING! These functions are designed for use with momentary footswitches set up to send a CC# value of 127 for “ON” and 0 for “OFF”. Do not use an expression pedal or you may change levels +/-20 dB with a single sweep!

Long ago I tried a volume pedal, could NOT get the hang of it. My boost amount needs to be accurate, and instant. I'd be half way through the solo still fumbling back and forth with my foot trying to find the ideal volume, then again after the solo.

I do preset change, I've learned to only use reverb spillover though. Because when I do it's 8db. You will hear my solo's, lol..

I like to use a filter block with and overall boost of +3db and a 1.5 db boost at 2k. I have found it really helps the solo stand out.

I change scene which adds extra preamp gain, amp level, a slight mid boost, as well as delay and/or reverb, depending on the tone.

I've started putting a filter block with a 4dB boost (attached to my 2nd external pedal) in many presets. So, I have a pedal that's 0-100 before the amp block, and a 2nd pedal that adds up to an additional 4dB after the amp block.

That's in addition to generally having a scene prepared that's appropriate for the solo. The 4dB is just for on-the-spot "more me".
I set up scene1 as my rhythm sound and scene8 for my lead boost on all my presets. Then I use a Roland fs7 to activate the scene swap feature which toggles between scene1 and scene8. This allows me to use only one button to switch between rhythm and lead sounds. I do this because I am not the most coordinated person while playing and find it hard sometimes to change using separate buttons.

Back
Top Bottom