How do you imagine the future of cab + mic simulation

Clive

Experienced
Hi,

I wonder what will be the future of cab + mic (cab + mic + mic preamp more precisely) simulation in the Axe FX.
I don't think there will be better things than the Ures IRs until the Axe FX III release but how do you imagine the future with an Axe FX III ?
Wouldn't it be the kind of thing that should be handled with (even if it requires a lot of CPU power) the same technology that is used for amp modeling in the Axe FX II ?

I don't know if Cliff will give us a clue but when looking other devices/softwares on the market, how do you see things ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
An IR generator, which models speakers and lets you change parameters, e.g. what magnet is being used etc. The goal is to not depend on analog equipment anymore, right?

I would like to see groups of related IR's to be managed as one "set" or "group".

E.g. all the IR's shot of the same cabinet / speakers appear as a single cab in the user interface.

You can change microphones and microphone positions with the result being the underlying software changes IR's for you.
Yes very good idea, could be done in the xl i guess

Holographic Cabinets, a holodeck Studio (like on Star Trek the Next Generation) where you could step inside the AxeFx Holo-Matrix and record with anyone (historically that is) or in any location contained in the database. For instance you could re-record "Walking on the Moon" with Sting on the moon!

That's what I imagine the future will be like.

It'd be awesome to have a sort of plugin where you can load up a cab and visually change your mic/mic position on the fly - just like in real life

I would like to see groups of related IR's to be managed as one "set" or "group".

E.g. all the IR's shot of the same cabinet / speakers appear as a single cab in the user interface.

You can change microphones and microphone positions with the result being the underlying software changes IR's for you.

This is what I'd love to see happen. In my last IR capture session I got 200 different mic positions from a single cab. So this feature would be very handy for me, haha.

IRs long enough for reverb is my big wish for the axe 3.

I think that the the III should have a CAB simulation where you could choose mic and position and angle and distance. This would radically reduce the amount of cab's

I think that the the III should have a CAB simulation where you could choose mic and position and angle and distance. This would radically reduce the amount of cab's

These possibilities are already available in other devices/softwares. This would rather be on the wish list for Axe II. I am talking about new technology to enhance the sound (if it's possible to do).

These possibilities are already available in other devices/softwares. This would rather be on the wish list for Axe II. I am talking about new technology to enhance the sound (if it's possible to do).

That's correct, but to do it good you need a lot more CPU power which is IMHO not possible in the II

We are very sure about the amp sims and the best is the Axe. And when it comes to amp simulation, if there are more than one competitors who are claimed to be the best, they sound almost same.
But the cab department is not like that. There are five producers I follow (OwnHammer, TAF, Clark Kent, Fractal, Redwirez) and they don't sound even close.
I don't want to think about it anymore! If there will be physical cab simulation in Axe3, I will effing buy it!!! :)

It would be neat if the virtual cab software was like the Roller coaster simulation software I payed around with at Epcot as a kid.

For example:
  • Pick the Number of Speakers that will go in the cab
  • Pick the radius of each speaker that goes into the virtual cab
  • Pick Each speaker type that goes into the cab at each position.
  • Pick the magnet and cone/horn material for each speaker
  • Pick the amount of distance between each & every speaker and the edge of the cab. speaker
  • Pick the physical shape of the cabinet (Square, rectangular, slant, trapezoid, round, octagonal, etc.) and the physical dimensions (L X w X H)
  • Pick the backing style and physical materials of the cab
  • Pick open back, closed back, ported or backless style.
  • Pick casters, feet, flat on the floor, on top of a milk crate, or on one of those speaker stands.
  • Pick number & type of mics, position in x-y-z space with angle, mic pres used, phase of each of each mic.
  • Pick the physical environment in which the cab sits with variable sizing (tiled room, studio, buried in the earth, anechoic chamber, Giants stadium on a stage, etc) and the cab's positioning in said environment (corner, against the wall, center of room, etc)

If we could do this in the box, you could build virtually any cabinet sort of the way we can build almost any tube based amp, even impossible ones within certain parameters, and have it sound the way you would expect it to sound in that environment.

That's a lot of processing power to do this type of simulation to not only build the ir but run audio through it to judge and tweak.

This would definitely be next gen technology, but it seems like the next step forward if Cliff's MIMIC of amps is any indication.

Next giant leap is going to be made into the realm of convolution technology... For this we need more break horse powers, i.e an Axe-FX 3 or 4. I think the next unit will have convolution IR's.

I guess Cliff will have to brush up on his differential equations and Fourier transforms :D

Back
Top Bottom