How do you guys stop your wife talking?

When we first started dating, we had both been through a few intense relationships, so we started laying ground rules. Sort of a "Here's what my expectations are, can you meet those?" type conversation. My #1 rule was that music is the most important thing in my life. I'm going to be playing in bands until I die, which requires me to practice a lot. Guitars will be strewn about the house and I will often have music playing, sometimes on repeat, because I am learning, experiencing, and stress relieving. If I ever have to choose between music and anybody or anything else, music will win. She agreed and in 11 years she has never once complained about anything band/music related.

We did get into a fight over practice once (the first couple months we were dating) when I was practicing and she came into the room, turned on the TV and cranked the volume. That was the precursor to the above conversation. We also have a rule that if one of us is doing something to better ourselves, that time is uninterruptible. Practice, workouts, painting, crocheting, etc... If I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and/or surfing the web, by all means tell me to take out the garbage or talk about your day.

I just realized that our rules just come down to "have respect and be courteous towards eachother".

Top 10 ways to get your wife to shush when you're playing your Axe FX.

#1: Cut her off mid sentence and say "Yeah, that's real interesting sweet cheeks. Now how bout you run into the kitchen and cook me a pie!"
#2: Play louder.
#3: Offer sex.
#4: Offer money.
#5:
#6:
#7:
#8:
#9:
#10: Divorce - We tried.

My wife's from Maine. We live in Texas. During the summers I just play in the garage. Too damn hot for her out there ;)

The correct answer is select HBE preset. Turn every volume knob to 10. Every time her mouth opens, windmill out an A power chord like PeteTownsend. She should get the picture by the 5th or 6th windmill.

My wife doesn't talk much but she always finds some occupation for me, something that has to be done. If I complain in some general discussion about not having time for playing, she says "come on, you play enough!". She's smart, she really leaves me alone twice in a year, than the rest of the time she says "but I let you play, don't I?".

My wife and I have a compact. When she is doing something with her time, like talking to friends or playing Candy Crush, I don't disturb.

Likewise, when I am practicing, composing, or writing, she does not disturb me.

Setting ground rules and boundaries in the relationship cuts off any animosity that might fester in the long run.

I am sure your wife wouldn't like it if you suddenly starting talking to her while she was engrossed in something, even if it was a book or tv.

My wife doesn't talk much but she always finds some occupation for me, something that has to be done. If I complain in some general discussion about not having time for playing, she says "come on, you play enough!". She's smart, she really leaves me alone twice in a year, than the rest of the time she says "but I let you play, don't I?".

I heard that!

"Oh yeah? Don't you remember the weekend after Saint Patrick's Day of 2011? You had ALL DAY to play!"

c4R7k0t.jpg

Hahaha!!

I'm lucky, wife's a musician too (berklee grad) so she knows what is what. To me it's harder to escape
my kids hahaha! But they get that I'm working now.

...Make sure to talk to her all the other times I'm not trying to play. She tends to respect that and not try to complete for attention. Women are a strange breed...But I think if they feel you don't take them for granted, they are more than ok with letting you have your own time.
Of course....this does depend on the woman...:)

Simple, don't get married :lol On a serious note, most of the women I have dated never understood the need for alone time with music and fishing. I always had to break it down to it being the same thing as them going shopping or getting their hair/nails done or reading a silly magazine that puts retarded ideas in there head that their man is cheating on them because he doesn't give those 30 minutes he has free during the month to her but instead his hobby.. Not to mention a lot get annoyed when you spend all of your time with your kid. My reply to those type have been sorry, but this child is my priority, if you don't want to be a part of it or can't handle it, don't let the door hit ya in the ass when I slam it.

Luckily, the girl I am dating now has a son that is just a few months apart in age from mine. She is also a single parent raising her child alone like myself. She also has a pretty nice career so she knows about time for yourself being limited due to work and raising children. Another awesome thing is both of our boys have pretty much the same interest in everything other than foods, and they both want to play musical instruments, guitar, drums, etc. She also thinks its hot to watch me play, which was weird getting use to at first. She just sits and watches and asks me to do it again because it sounded cool and looked cool :pride: She also likes that I'm secretly a nerd, likes the same foods, movies, fishing, outdoors, aircrafts, etc. She's coming around to my type of music and actually likes some of it, but I think the heavy stuff and lyrics are a lil too much for her to swallow right now. She's like the female version of me, but with a hot body :D Think I may have gotten lucky on this one :ugeek So far the only talking while playing is asking things related to what I'm doing or asking me to do it again haha. But if she was to start talking about other things, since we pretty much read each other's minds on everything, I can put down the guitar for a bit because I'm only a hobby player, not a pro.

Simple, don't get married :lol On a serious note, most of the women I have dated never understood the need for alone time with music and fishing. I always had to break it down to it being the same thing as them going shopping or getting their hair/nails done or reading a silly magazine that puts retarded ideas in there head that their man is cheating on them because he doesn't give those 30 minutes he has free during the month to her but instead his hobby.. Not to mention a lot get annoyed when you spend all of your time with your kid. My reply to those type have been sorry, but this child is my priority, if you don't want to be a part of it or can't handle it, don't let the door hit ya in the ass when I slam it.

Luckily, the girl I am dating now has a son that is just a few months apart in age from mine. She is also a single parent raising her child alone like myself. She also has a pretty nice career so she knows about time for yourself being limited due to work and raising children. Another awesome thing is both of our boys have pretty much the same interest in everything other than foods, and they both want to play musical instruments, guitar, drums, etc. She also thinks its hot to watch me play, which was weird getting use to at first. She just sits and watches and asks me to do it again because it sounded cool and looked cool :pride: She also likes that I'm secretly a nerd, likes the same foods, movies, fishing, outdoors, aircrafts, etc. She's coming around to my type of music and actually likes some of it, but I think the heavy stuff and lyrics are a lil too much for her to swallow right now. She's like the female version of me, but with a hot body :D Think I may have gotten lucky on this one :ugeek So far the only talking while playing is asking things related to what I'm doing or asking me to do it again haha. But if she was to start talking about other things, since we pretty much read each other's minds on everything, I can put down the guitar for a bit because I'm only a hobby player, not a pro.

Is that her in your avatar?

When we first started dating, we had both been through a few intense relationships, so we started laying ground rules(...) If I ever have to choose between music and anybody or anything else, music will win. She agreed and in 11 years she has never once complained about anything band/music related(...) I just realized that our rules just come down to "have respect and be courteous towards eachother".

Golden words. If the kids are in bed and the dishes from dinner are cleared, all I need to say is "Honey, I need to go and work in the Studio for a bit". She will probably reply with something like "No problem. I need to work on a paper/grant submission/etc anyway". We agreed right from the start that we would have our own thing going on and we didn't need to be doing the same thing together all the time.

Just be honest and sensitive. But I just say I need to do some serious playing/practicing. We can talk now if it's a little bit or later but real soon I gotta play.

But it's a non-issue in my house. They all know dad gets 2-3 hours a day, mostly in the morning. After that she gets most of my undivided attention.

Back
Top Bottom