How do you guys stop your wife talking?

And before marriage it also was a nonissue. Being a guitarist was so much a part of who I was - - in all cases it's how I met them, that my doing music was something they had to fit in between.

Last edited:
I've found they talk, because that's what they do. (they also have some weird need to paint rooms yellow)

I put my studio in an offsite location (when I was married) then it wasn't an issue.
Even at home she was pretty cool. If I was stressed out she'd say "just go play your guitar"

We're still friends after 8 years, but when we do see each other, she just starts talking endlessly.

I like my quiet life :)

My wife understands that music is important in my life and she encourages me to play. When I do, she escapes to the sound-insulated basement and watches TV. I reward her with playing Scorpion's Still loving you. She love that!
She loves country music so when I am in the heavy metal mood she is no where to be found.

Seriously, just tell her you need some time to yourself.

Lol, I have the same issues as the majority of you. But it's partially my fault because my practice area is in the corner of the living room.....no man cave area in our current house. But my problem is solved by the fact that my wife works two nights a week, usually on my nights off, so I can get my practice in then. It just sucks for kids because "sometimes" I wake them up if I really start getting into it, lol.

I have a man cave, and I also have in-ears, so...I just tell her I'm working on songs, she understands the concept. I love my wife, she is a true partner. She gets what I'm about, so she stays out of the way, when it's time to work. But, when I'm done learning songs or whatever, im by her side, she just wants her partner back, even if it's just being on the couch, watching tv. I'm on my iPad most of the time on the fractal forum anyway. Where would we be without tablets in our lives.

Ok, now that I just came across as a callous ass, I should clarify by saying my wife is awesome, and she enables my "habit". She's also very understanding that when the "practice" light is lit, so to speak, I need to be left alone. This is often 3+ hours a day of practice on various instruments and she sometimes complains if I don't come out into the real world periodically, but she's mostly very tolerant because she knows how important it is too me. She's also very tolerant of the $30K or more I've spent on gear over the years.

We have a simple rule: If I close the door, I'm unavailable.

The unspoken rule is door closing slowly burns through brownie points. I usually tally my inventory before a marathon session. If I'm low, I pretend to take a "much needed" break once an hour. Been working well for several years.

We have a simple rule: If I close the door, I'm unavailable.

The unspoken rule is door closing slowly burns through brownie points. I usually tally my inventory before a marathon session. If I'm low, I pretend to take a "much needed" break once an hour. Been working well for several years.

Those proactive brownie points tend to pay off more and last longer than the reactive kind.

Back
Top Bottom