How do you guys start a preset from scratch?

Remember that there are many ODS style amps modeled in the system so search Yek’s amp guide and compare them. The Fuchs and Carol Ann based amps are worth checking out. Alan Phillips, who built the Carol Ann amps worked with Cliff to try to replicate the sound of the amps.
My personal fave is the Bludojai lead channel. I use that with a variety of clean amps, but have been gravitating towards ye olde Deluxe Verb lately....

In my short time with the FM9 I use the same approach I did with Helix - start with straight amp and cab alone to get the base clean and hot sounds I want. Ideally I'm using the same cab to start.

So now I have two scenes, say 1 and 4; I'll create an effected clean and save that as scene 2, a crunchy low gain sound as scene 3, and then a boosted lead sound with delay as scene 5. If I want variations on delays or drives, I'll then tweak the channels and try them out with the different scenes to get where I want - so my scene 3 will be mild drive pushing the amp and scene 5 will slam it hard (or it might be an alternate channel of the same hot amp from scene 4, just hotter!).

Then I'll pepper in the other utility effects from the Block Library or copy/paste channels from other presets, and finally think about the modifiers I need and customize a layout if necessary. Tonight I spent time choosing Control Switches per scene in my latest "Heavy Rig" build, and I'm really happy with it so far!

Although it's inefficient I have never been in the habit of making a preset for just ONE sound. I dunno why, but I feel comfort in having several different sinks you could say (kitchen, bathroom, laundry room...). Clearly I have more sonic adventuring to do!

My plan over the holidays is to try building 4-5 "single use" presets that are the best of each sound I might use, so I intend to try things like a different IR for each one, very specific effects, etc. The beauty of this wonderful piece of tech is you can try so many different approaches eh?

Back
Top Bottom