How do you guys run external loopers?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I recently picked up a Pigtronix Infinity looper pedal. As of right now, I've got it hooked up through the AxeFx loop...

AxeFx SEND:
left > In1, right > In2

Infinity OUTS:
Out1 > Return L
Out2 > Return R

Here's the catch, running through the loop means that the return "hears" what's coming back from the loop pedal, even if it's bypassed, so it sounds roughly twice as loud when not actively "looping" some audio.

As such, levels on both output 2 and the pedal's own controls need to be nearly maxed so that the recorded loop plays back even close to the original signal.

I'm clearly missing something... how do you guys set up external loopers? What works, what doesn't?
...yes, I used the search bar, and google, but nothing is turning up that sounds like a similar issue.
Thanks!

...I gotta think at this point it has something to do with the output levels per grid row, or something like that.

Like, if I put the FX Loop block on its own row, and muted the other 3 rows' outputs, then it would behave exactly like the looper block would when in parallel and fully wet... which is the goal here, to have the same behavior as the looper block, but with a dedicated external unit for longer record times.

Any ideas?

I'm clearly missing something... how do you guys set up external loopers? What works, what doesn't?
...yes, I used the search bar, and google, but nothing is turning up that sounds like a similar issue.
Thanks!

I have my looper setup in exactly the same way but, as you've discovered, the feed through doubles the dry signal. For this reason, I selected a looper that offered a dry defeat (eg. Digitech JamMan Stereo). With the defeat enabled, the input to the looper is not passed to the output.

Might not be what you wanted to hear but I hope this helps a bit.

Hmmm... that does boil down the issue.

What if I run it in series right at the end of my chain? It wouldn't be the same thing per se, but at least the entire signal would be following the same path?

Hmmm... that does boil down the issue.

What if I run it in series right at the end of my chain? It wouldn't be the same thing per se, but at least the entire signal would be following the same path?

without a dry kill option, this is really the only way to do it

There's no mix (wet/dry) knob on the Infinity? If so, what a strange oversight.
Not per se, only loop 1 & 2 volume and a master output level, about noon is unity for all of them.

Seems fine in series. Not ideal, because it forces me to run through the loop all the time, which is an additional layer of conversions, but I'll live :)

Why don't you leave it on all the time, then bypass the loop when you don't want it?

Because I don't want to dedicate a switch to turning the loop block on/off, and even if it shared the function of, say, deleting recorded loops, it would become a nightmare of tap dancing to keep regular functions handy.

...I think I'll stick with the series option for now.

Seems fine in series. Not ideal, because it forces me to run through the loop all the time, which is an additional layer of conversions, but I'll live :)

If it's any consolation, the Infinity has a dry passthru that bypasses any A/D and D/A cycle. Not a great answer given your OP but at least they're giving you the cleanest dry signal they can.

I'd still like to see all loopers offer a dry defeat or wet/dry mix. Beyond the AxeFx world, this would allow the mixer to feed the looper and the return managed as a separate stereo pair.

Last edited:

Rotti - are you not jiving with the built-in FAS Looper?

I was curious how an external looper pedal would work for me in the future also so I appreciated the question. Curious if you put an FX Loop block at the end of your signal chain in parallel at 100% with JUST the LEFT/Mono in for the loop would that work? I haven't thought through this process too much, it has me intrigued...

Rotti - are you not jiving with the built-in FAS Looper?

I was curious how an external looper pedal would work for me in the future also so I appreciated the question. Curious if you put an FX Loop block at the end of your signal chain in parallel at 100% with JUST the LEFT/Mono in for the loop would that work? I haven't thought through this process too much, it has me intrigued...

The built in looper is fine, great quality and features, just not enough recording time, especially in DSP heavy presets.

You're probably going to notice weird phasing issues if you run it in parallel through the loop... at this point, I have to recommend series at the end of the chain.

FWIW I also like that the Infinity gives me two stereo loops each with overdubs. I might eventually get around to incorporating other features like reverse playback, but for now it's just a tool for jamming.

I am experimenting with the same signal path but am using one of my RC3 looper (I have an Infinity on my analogue board and love it but havent tried it yet). I don't have the issue you describe with the RC3.

The main problem I have with the built in looper is if you switch presets the looper stops. I like layering sounds. It would be nice to have option to be part of the output block or something.

Last edited:
I would imagine the CPU concern would be even greater with the AX8. Makes sense to use an external.

I also have the IL, but haven't really bothered to run it anywhere except in front.

Hubertus was right - if you switch from one preset to another with a looper block the looper will keep going. Only problem is you need all your presets armed with looper blocks or it will stop when you change presets.

Back
Top Bottom