how do you guys handle moving presets between ax8 & axefx II ?

That would require reverse engineering the SysEx files which itself could be very ugly.

so disassembling binary code and it's routinely done every day. It's very doable given a source spec and xml format. Axe-edit ought to be able to handle it. It's silly folks are copy the data by hand into spreadsheets.

I don't know of anyone copying data by hand into a spread sheet. It's very easy to set up your Axe presets into the AX8- simply open Axe Edit (with your Axe attached) and copy the blocks for a preset, then open AX8-Edit (with the AX8 attached) and load them into a preset number and save it.

I don't know of anyone copying data by hand into a spread sheet. It's very easy to set up your Axe presets into the AX8- simply open Axe Edit (with your Axe attached) and copy the blocks for a preset, then open AX8-Edit (with the AX8 attached) and load them into a preset number and save it.

could be a problem if you have no axefx attached. So I have to buy an axefx just to transfer presets? Come on folks. Let's not make excuses. There needs to be a utility IMO.

so disassembling binary code and it's routinely done every day. It's very doable given a source spec and xml format. Axe-edit ought to be able to handle it. It's silly folks are copy the data by hand into spreadsheets.

The spec isn't published; I'm fairly certain you'd have to dump a preset, and then change one parameter and dump again and diff to see what changed, ad nauseum until you've documented the spec.

But you don't have to use a spreadsheet, thankfully. In Axe-Edit, there's a menu option to export all blocks to a folder. Do that and then screenshot the layout. Then drag those blocks into AX8-Edit. Controllers should even translate as they come over in a block. Scenes probably have to be redone by hand.

could be a problem if you have no axefx attached. So I have to buy an axefx just to transfer presets? Come on folks. Let's not make excuses. There needs to be a utility IMO.

Ah ok. So the method in your case is to upload or link the preset you want to the forum, and ask the forumites to translate it to AX8. Seems there are several guys who have both and are willing to oblige.

I don't think software compatibility between platforms (Standard, Ultra, II, XL, XL+, FX8 or AX8) was ever desired or intended by FAS. They must have valid reasons for this and I totally respect that!

I have both and have worked presets between them. Even with block swapping, the modeling isn't yet on a 1-to-1 platform so it takes some adjusting. FAS is working on bringing the AX8 to where the XL+ is now, and the transition should make swaps easier both ways. Who knows? There may one day be some sort of conversion/import capability in the editors... weirder things have happened.

I don't quite understand.. And what about the AX8 only users, who would like to just easily extract blocks from existing AXE presets, with all the settings intact? Would be nice to see such option in the editor in the future. You'd download, import, agree on sth like "this is AXE FXII preset, note all incompatible blocks will be not imported" message / or just pick the blocks you need, and that's it. Dreaming? I do hope this would be possible some day.

I've transitioned presets from Axe to AX8 for some people already. Probably a service I could start if more need it. I'd probably need an XL in addition to my Mark 1 though.

There may be a utility in the future, but currently there isn't a direct translation from device to device. However i'd guess that the blocks would get split up before we see direct preset compatibility.

At the very least, it would be nice if there was away to open Axe-Fx II presets in offline mode (for those of us who don't own AFII's......)

I don't think software compatibility between platforms (Standard, Ultra, II, XL, XL+, FX8 or AX8) was ever desired or intended by FAS. They must have valid reasons for this and I totally respect that!

nobody's talking about binary compatibility. I'm talking import/export which is obviously doable considering you can import binary blocks.

by the way, this does *NOT* work.

---------------------------
AX8-Edit
Unable to import.
The selected file contains data for the Axe-Fx II and is not compatible with this firmware.
OK

by the way, this does *NOT* work.

AX8-Edit
Unable to import.
The selected file contains data for the Axe-Fx II and is not compatible with this firmware.
OK

It's a bug; they've indicated that they are working on it.

It absolutely works, I have a whole slew of presets I ported over this way.

It didn't work in my case as the error message I copied/pasted indicates. But then again, I'm not able to get fractal-bot to connect to my AX8 so maybe there are other issues, firmware incompatibilities, etc. With this many new products and new firmwares floating around, there's no way a single individual that isn't a tester can say that a scenario absolutely works. And I was advised that this is a known bug.

Back
Top Bottom