How do you guys get feedback?

Yes...i'm more comfortable with the ART. I think you're right on the ingredients for feedback, but i suppose it would work even with folding back thru a house wedge.

Hey Fractalites, I'm trying to get some feedback incorporated in some presets. We are all DI, all IEMs, zero speakers on stage. What do you use to achieve it and what are some tips? I'd like it to be able to be turned on via MFC when I want it.
I don't want to run a cab on stage, but if there's a way I could use a crappy little practice amp and loop it in, or even send signal from mixer to a little monitor, I would be open to that.

Thanks guys!
When I play my regular pub gigs, I always run my IEMs, Output 1 from AXE FX 2 XL+ to the FOH desk and Output 2 to my Atomic CLR and achieve feedback with ease. When I play small private gigs or weddings, I don't bring my CLR so the only guitar I hear is in my IEMs and still achieve feedback with ease. I can only put it down to my pickups, which are quite hot - Seymour Duncan Heavy Metal Live Wires.
I'm using a Friedman BE amp block for crunch and HBE for dirty stuff, with a TS808 for solos with the usual settings of Drive on 0, tone set to taste and Level on 10. Personally I think it's my pickups because there's no guitar volume to interact with on stage to cause the feedback, so it must be coming from my hot pickups. It is feedback, not squeal that I achieve and I can sustain forever.
That probably hasn't really answered your question at all LOL.

When I play my regular pub gigs, I always run my IEMs, Output 1 from AXE FX 2 XL+ to the FOH desk and Output 2 to my Atomic CLR and achieve feedback with ease. When I play small private gigs or weddings, I don't bring my CLR so the only guitar I hear is in my IEMs and still achieve feedback with ease. I can only put it down to my pickups, which are quite hot - Seymour Duncan Heavy Metal Live Wires.
I'm using a Friedman BE amp block for crunch and HBE for dirty stuff, with a TS808 for solos with the usual settings of Drive on 0, tone set to taste and Level on 10. Personally I think it's my pickups because there's no guitar volume to interact with on stage to cause the feedback, so it must be coming from my hot pickups. It is feedback, not squeal that I achieve and I can sustain forever.
That probably hasn't really answered your question at all LOL.
How close is your guitar to the PA speakers?

To get feedback is really easy. You record some of your playing and post it here and we give you our feedback! Haaa!! Sorry, I couldn’t resist... :)

High input gain and Compression, then approach your cab. The closer you get the more feedback. If you get too close, it is uncontrollable. If you are running direct, then you may need a sustainer pickup for your guitar or a Digitech Freqout pedal to get infinite feedback. The Digitech would be a nice addition to the Axe Fx since there is no infinite sustain pedal modeled.

You have to get the volume of your output to vibrate the strings. Output can be a normal monitor or some smaller speaker you bring. If it's a specific note on a single song, you could also calibrate an EQ to exaggerate that frequency. It doesn't necessarily require extreme volume to feed back. There are variables however, like the size of the room and where you're standing.

By the way, I used to be 100% IEM and I sold it. I have to hear how the guitar is sounding onstage with nothing blocking my ears. No love connection ever established w IEM, though I tried. I go FRFR onstage. Gotta move some air. One advantage is that feedback is easy - just like w a real amp/cab. If you stay w IEM, a compromise for you might be to bring a very small speaker that you walk up to when you want the feedback. You can even control it with a volume pedal. You don't have to feed it to FOH - just use it for feedback.

Keep in mind the Freqout is not infinite sustain, it dies out when the string does. Compressor before it and a delay after can make it last pretty long though.

I will say though that if I get close to my clr, even at moderate volume, when I’ve hit the pedal that I can get real sustain pretty easily. Seems the artificial sustain effect when played through the monitor and picked up by the pickup will produce a real feedback effect, and at a lower volume needed.

I do wonder what kind of weddings you play too that require guitars with hot heavy metal pickups. :D:p

Ha ha! Well just coz they're heavy sounding pickups I can tone them down for particular songs of course, by either the preset (less drive on the amp) or via a single coil split switch that was installed by my guitar tech. It's obviously not a 'true' single coils split switch as the pups are active, but what the tech has done is that when I flick the switch down, it sort of drops in drive and a little volume, so the Humbucker cleans up that way too.

How close is your guitar to the PA speakers?

I'm next to one of the speakers FOH speakers when we play weddings but it doesn't matter - I can walk anywhere and I'll still feedback nicely. I've done pub gigs where i haven't bought along my FRFR (coz I was lazy) and the FOH speakers are a bit away from me off stage and I still get feedback. My guitar is 'hot' though and I like a lot of drive in my presets too!

Back
Top Bottom