How do you guys get feedback?

Doostain

Hey Fractalites, I'm trying to get some feedback incorporated in some presets. We are all DI, all IEMs, zero speakers on stage. What do you use to achieve it and what are some tips? I'd like it to be able to be turned on via MFC when I want it.
I don't want to run a cab on stage, but if there's a way I could use a crappy little practice amp and loop it in, or even send signal from mixer to a little monitor, I would be open to that.

Thanks guys!

Hey Fractalites, I'm trying to get some feedback incorporated in some presets. We are all DI, all IEMs, zero speakers on stage. What do you use to achieve it and what are some tips? I'd like it to be able to be turned on via MFC when I want it.
I don't want to run a cab on stage, but if there's a way I could use a crappy little practice amp and loop it in, or even send signal from mixer to a little monitor, I would be open to that.

Thanks guys!
I use a fairly 'crappy' FRFR? powered monitor at our regular bar gigs. Most of the time I have it sitting on our sub facing backwards towards me, this gets it a little closer so that I don't need it very loud. But it's enough to get endless sustain with a preset that has enough gain with my guitar volume dimed. Sometimes I have to lean in a little bit, but it works really well.

I've been wanting to go the IEM route. But if and when I do, I will still be bringing that monitor for just that reason. I've seen a couple of guitarists bring a very small combo amp (6 inch or 8 inch speaker), placed right to the side, or in front of them, for 'no back line' all IEM gigs in my area. The tone doesn't really matter, as long as it's not loud enough for anyone else to really hear. It's just there for some guitar/speaker interaction.

I've tried Volume, but if there's no speakers to reproduce the signal, I can't get feedback. Even went I'm out in the crowd and facing the PA, I get nothing. I'm using the JCM800 with gain at about 6 or so.

Personally I'd much much much rather have the problem of figuring out how to get some feedback on stage, rather then constantly combating unwanted feedback. Cause I've been there and its the kind of fun that's not.

I cheat. I use a Fernandes Sustainer Strat style guitar when I need controlled feedback in a song. I bought it online not expecting much but it’s been a very solid, versatile guitar.

I was wondering what that warning symbol was doing in the speaker and then remembered thats what the logo looks like. Kinda funny considering how some people love to bash behringer.

I've seen one guy use one of these attached to his mic stand. He had to get it set just right, and only worked when he was up close, at the mic. And it was close enough to turn it up and down throughout the night, as needed.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...23336000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA#youTubeVideo

Try an external pedal, set it on a table and get the pickup on top of it... any pedal would work... stringing up several at once will open up even more feedback options

I don’t have trouble with it and get it in spades, to the point i’m having to control it, just like a real amp.

i use an avatar 212 cabinet pushed by an art sla-2, though. I’m reasonably sure a cabinet is part of it.

I don’t have trouble with it and get it in spades, to the point i’m having to control it, just like a real amp.

i use an avatar 212 cabinet pushed by an art sla-2, though. I’m reasonably sure a cabinet is part of it.
It's not... Unless you really mean "speaker"? I read your reply as meaning a "guitar cabinet", but maybe I'm wrong?

By the way, get yourself a Matrix amp - your back will thank you! Those SLA-2 amps are beasts! They sound great but way too heavy to move often :)

It's not... Unless you really mean "speaker"? I read your reply as meaning a "guitar cabinet", but maybe I'm wrong?

By the way, get yourself a Matrix amp - your back will thank you! Those SLA-2 amps are beasts! They sound great but way too heavy to move often :)
Yes...speaker cabinet (ie real speakers).

I had a matrix...squirrely. SLA sounds better and much cheaper. Yup much heavier, but i don't drag it all over town.

Yes...speaker cabinet (ie real speakers).

I had a matrix...squirrely. SLA sounds better and much cheaper. Yup much heavier, but i don't drag it all over town.
Feedback is about volume and proximity. A guitar speaker cabinet is not different than an FRFR in this regard. Your volume and the proximity of the guitar to the speaker (of whatever kind) producing that volume is what causes feedback.

I have had no issues with my Matrix GT800FX (bought used and in regular use for about 4 years)... And the sound is almost identical to the ART. But if you aren't moving it, then yeah, it's a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom