How do you glitch?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys,

I've been toying around with some glitch effects and was wondering how you like to use them.

My favorite so far is tying a tremolo to the sequencer to adjust rates, and putting that block on a momentary switch. I think it'd be cool to also have some sort of pitch effect like a rapidly climbing whammy or the tape delay's motor speed. How would you go about adding something like that?

Just brain storming, if an MFC momentary switch can send an "off" value, maybe there's a way to have a pitch block engage with an ASDR so that it does the swell once at the end of a tremolo'd section and retriggers after each time the tremolo stutter is used?

Any other sweet tricks you guys have been up to?

Hey guys,

I've been toying around with some glitch effects and was wondering how you like to use them.

My favorite so far is tying a tremolo to the sequencer to adjust rates, and putting that block on a momentary switch. I think it'd be cool to also have some sort of pitch effect like a rapidly climbing whammy or the tape delay's motor speed. How would you go about adding something like that?

Just brain storming, if an MFC momentary switch can send an "off" value, maybe there's a way to have a pitch block engage with an ASDR so that it does the swell once at the end of a tremolo'd section and retriggers after each time the tremolo stutter is used?

Any other sweet tricks you guys have been up to?
I think either @yek or @simeon (maybe both?) have posted on this topic before.

I'm guessing they will chime in here :cool:

I've used the Tremolo/Panner Block to get the Glitch Stutter effect. I've read that some bands like Periphery and Animals As leaders use delay but I've never figured it out.

I'd share my preset but it's nothing special and just the Tremolo/Panner Block:
* Type: Tremolo
* Rate: How ever fast you want it to go
* Depth: All the way up to get tight glitches or lower for a smoother effect
* Tempo: If you don't want to use Rate and set it to a specific tempo
* LFO: Square wave

Here's an awesome old post from a previous FAS employee named Adam Cook that uses the looper to Glitch and Stutter. This is on my too do list to figure out.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ew-attaching-modifiers-to-play-control.61926/

I'm really liking the stuttering effect using the tremolo block this way, but I saw in another thread where Simeon suggested using a volume block instead, much in the same way with the sequencer. It worked well, and I liked the control over where you could interject varying depth (level) along with the beat of the stutter, but it also had some strange artifacts and noticeable dry bleed through when used before the cab block... not a big deal to me, but tonally I preferred the tremolo block.

That said, in order to create space with which to work in a seemingly randomized pitch effect, the volume block + sequencer might be the only game in town, unless the tremolo can be slowed down to the point of creating adequate space for a pitch effect...

The DIY producer way of creating the effect is pretty straight forward: take sections of a track and literally delete the stuttered portion, i.e., a run of 32nd note stutters would be sections of 16th notes cut in half (or another ratio to make different duties, you get it)... basically, exactly what a full depth square wave tremolo is.

The "trick" for what I'm looking to do is to modulate tremolo rates so that the stutter effect is created, then widen out the chops far enough to create space to hear other quick, interjected effects (reverse delay would be a cool option there, previously described pitch effects, whatever) AND not have those interjected effects trigger too soon so that they are taking place during heavily stuttered sections, making a big sonic mess.

TL/DR:

[stutter tremolo] - [stutter tremolo at different rate] - [dry signal killed while another effect triggers] - and repeat, or have additional "sections" of effects, whatever.

I've started to explore some wacky things where you make the LFO B rate controlled by LFO A rate, so you get more complex and seemingly irregular control signals to use within tremolo rate, delay rate, etc. easy to make weirdness and twiddle around, harder to make it useful in a musical context.

One cool way to get a non-uniform glitch is to assign a random LFO to a volume parameter. The trick is to turn the quantize parameter of the LFO controller to 2. That forces all of the random values that the random LFO outputs to be averaged to just 2 values, full on and full off. You end up with a random cutting out kind of sound like from a bad cable or switch. The LFO rate determines the frequency of the value changes and therefore the speed of the glitches. You can use the same trick on other parameters too for some very odd random sounds. You can also turn up the quantize parameter to give more value steps as well. If you turn quantize off, it will jump to any random value between min and max for the modifier. Changing those values will let you set the depth or the range of the glitches. The modifier dampening controls the smoothness of the value jumps. Set it to 0 ms for hard chops or higher values for fades between values. Also, by assigning an external or other controller to the LFO's Run parameter you can turn the glitching on and off as needed.

I made an FX a long time ago with chorus that sounded like trem flutter. I had it set to vibrato and the depth controlled by either the ADSR or Envelope. It would probably sound pretty cool with the tremolo block after it.

One cool way to get a non-uniform glitch is to assign a random LFO to a volume parameter. The trick is to turn the quantize parameter of the LFO controller to 2. That forces all of the random values that the random LFO outputs to be averaged to just 2 values, full on and full off. You end up with a random cutting out kind of sound like from a bad cable or switch. The LFO rate determines the frequency of the value changes and therefore the speed of the glitches. You can use the same trick on other parameters too for some very odd random sounds. You can also turn up the quantize parameter to give more value steps as well. If you turn quantize off, it will jump to any random value between min and max for the modifier. Changing those values will let you set the depth or the range of the glitches. The modifier dampening controls the smoothness of the value jumps. Set it to 0 ms for hard chops or higher values for fades between values. Also, by assigning an external or other controller to the LFO's Run parameter you can turn the glitching on and off as needed.

This sounds like a really great option! I'm going to have to try it soon.

I'm finding the coolest sounding way to do this is with the delay block's hold feature and a very short delay time, fully wet in series...

...but the problem there is that when the hold isn't in use, your entire signal is thrown off (delayed) 1/32nd or whatever it's set to... :?

beyond that, it would be very cool to have the pitch rapidly drop & rise slower (or rapid rise & slower return to center) and have the delay hold function kick in when pitch is nearing its return to center. Not sure how best to go about that either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8827q2olxi705l/Dual Rec Stutter - cans.syx?dl=0

This is a preset where I'm experimenting with some of these options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom