How do you get your drums?

I like it. Do the cymbals have trigger also? and are they muffled?

I think I can answer that since I have pestered Clive quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. ;)

Yep, Craig nailed it
thumbsup.gif

The visual aspect is of course an important element for us. You still hear an impact noise from the sticks with those Alesis Surge cymbals, but it's significant quieter than a full on cymbal and it's soon lost beneath the sound coming from FOH PA. I do like the ones that Craig has gone for too mind you, but they wouldn't suit our application quite as well.

Some have dual-zones for a main Ride and Bell for example. When coupled with the incredible dynamics of Superior Drummer, it's a crazy feat to have a killer drum sound, instantly, with no mics or boring sound-checks to endure! So in that respect, it's just like an AxeFX going direct to desk without the need for any trouser-flapping, 'beam of death' backline
wink.gif
All that coupled with our digital mixer means that we can roll up at a venue, set up and play safe in the knowledge that it's going to sound consistently good. Ok, you still run a check on signals, just for fun and to tune FOH to the room etc, but it's so simple.

Have been doing it like this for a number of years now... so it's quite odd to see one's lifelong influences such as Metallica etc embracing such an approach sometime afterwards though! Mind you, they still use crashing biscuit tins and bin lids
laughing.gif

EZdrummer 2 hands down in terms of making beats quickly and easily. I own superior and I am jealous of the guys with EZD2 haha

Yep, Craig nailed it
thumbsup.gif

The visual aspect is of course an important element for us. You still hear an impact noise from the sticks with those Alesis Surge cymbals, but it's significant quieter than a full on cymbal and it's soon lost beneath the sound coming from FOH PA. I do like the ones that Craig has gone for too mind you, but they wouldn't suit our application quite as well.

Some have dual-zones for a main Ride and Bell for example. When coupled with the incredible dynamics of Superior Drummer, it's a crazy feat to have a killer drum sound, instantly, with no mics or boring sound-checks to endure! So in that respect, it's just like an AxeFX going direct to desk without the need for any trouser-flapping, 'beam of death' backline
wink.gif
All that coupled with our digital mixer means that we can roll up at a venue, set up and play safe in the knowledge that it's going to sound consistently good. Ok, you still run a check on signals, just for fun and to tune FOH to the room etc, but it's so simple.

Have been doing it like this for a number of years now... so it's quite odd to see one's lifelong influences such as Metallica etc embracing such an approach sometime afterwards though! Mind you, they still use crashing biscuit tins and bin lids
laughing.gif

Cool. Do you use SD2 live or a drum 'brain'? Do you ever get comments about the drum sound?

I've been using steven slate ssd4 platinum. It's pretty amazing. I highly recommend it. I think it's on sale right now too. I paid $299 for it. I believe it's only $99 right now. Great deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZdrummer 2 hands down in terms of making beats quickly and easily. I own superior and I am jealous of the guys with EZD2 haha
It may have been bad luck or not reading instructions, but i have had a frustrating time with EZD2.
I can search using 'tap to find'. i tap to tempo - great. Fast enough that i still have the original tempo running in my brain. Then i can enter the pattern i want pretty fast, even with a mouse. But EZD2 always finds hundreds of the wrong patterns for me. So i can edit them, but i find it easier (at this point anyway) to edit a MIDI track in the DAW using 'piano roll'. The EZD2 videos make it look real easy. Maybe i just need to ride along with one of the videos as i write drum parts...

Cool. Do you use SD2 live or a drum 'brain'? Do you ever get comments about the drum sound?

Have used SD2 live since late 2008 Billy. It's been a truly outstanding piece of software
yessmiley.gif

Comments on the drum sound..? Well, because of the whole 'silent-stage' or 'direct to desk' approach, we've often receive comments on just how good everything sounds. People are amazed at how the sound is big and full, yet they can still hold a conversation...

The people at the gig from which the earlier piccys came don't seem to be too upset that neither the drums or guitar amps aren't exactly 'authentic'!
biggrin.gif

Queens-4.jpg

Last edited:
It may have been bad luck or not reading instructions, but i have had a frustrating time with EZD2.
I can search using 'tap to find'. i tap to tempo - great. Fast enough that i still have the original tempo running in my brain. Then i can enter the pattern i want pretty fast, even with a mouse. But EZD2 always finds hundreds of the wrong patterns for me. So i can edit them, but i find it easier (at this point anyway) to edit a MIDI track in the DAW using 'piano roll'. The EZD2 videos make it look real easy. Maybe i just need to ride along with one of the videos as i write drum parts...

Tapping with a mouse is a tough one though... I've been frustrated by that too.

A controller keyboard triggering the drums might produce more consistent results
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wasn't aware that EZD2 was out. I remember considering EZD1 but figured Superior Drummer would be, uhh, superior to it.

Based on the vids and reviews I'm seeing of EZD2, I think that might be more the right fit for me.

Am I correct that there aren't any expansions for EZD2 (yet?) and the expansions I'm seeing on Toontrack's website are for EZD1, but can be used w/ EZD2?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wasn't aware that EZD2 was out. I remember considering EZD1 but figured Superior Drummer would be, uhh, superior to it.

Based on the vids and reviews I'm seeing of EZD2, I think that might be more the right fit for me.

Am I correct that there aren't any expansions for EZD2 (yet?) and the expansions I'm seeing on Toontrack's website are for EZD1, but can be used w/ EZD2?

As far as I know, all the previous EZD expansions can be used with EDZ2. From memory I saw it in an email or something from Toontrack that there were going to updates for all the old packs to make them EZD2 compatible. Similarly, if you went with Superior, all those EZD expansions are available to you, not just the SD2 expansions. Superior does come with MIDI loops and fills 'n' whatnot... but I've never really looked at how it works, as I don't really use that kind of thing.

Superior is indeed, superior... but only for sound manipulation. With EZD2, you're limited to their 'Presets'.

Whilst those Presets are very useful, just having EZD2 wouldn't work for me, so both is the perfect solution!
biggrin.gif

I have EZ Drummer 2 for a quick jump start and Superior Drummer for quality. I also have Eco BFD and Zildjian Cymbal Vault and lastly Studio Drummer by Native Instruments. The snare, ride cymbal and stock MIDI library on Studio Drummer blows everything else I have used and heard in the water. My drum buddy uses Superior on his Roland kit. I dropbox him starter tracks, he emails me back a MIDI drum track. Most times I will leave it configured to Superior and split the snare track and run it thru Studio drummer.

If you are a drummer I would recommend Superior if you're you not and need good, realistic MIDI or if I could only choose one program it would be Studio Drummer.

For those you saying "EZD2 + SD2" can someone post an EZD2 riff played through the SD2 engine for me to hear?

It's not that simplistic Ian
smile.gif

It's the extensive groove finding, editing, dynamic manipulation, development and overall track / song creation which EZD2 excels at - SD2 doesn't have those features beyond that of a static groove library

Conversely, the kit building, mic selections, bleed options, ambient mic choices, EQ / Comp / Transient facilities, mixing capabilities and MIDI assignments etc are truly excellent in SD2, but you're limited to some Presets in EZD2

That's why creation is better in EZD2 and the production is more suited to SD2 - and it's why having both is an awesome combination
thumbsup.gif

It's not that simplistic Ian

Yes, my request is that simple: build an 8 bar thing up in EZD (1 or 2) and then swap in the SD2 engine on the track. I'm considering buying EZD2 (I've been running EZD for ages) but might go with SD2 if the sound blows me away and just keep EZD for the work flow.

Ok, I could open the first stock groove in EZD2, play that through the Default kit in SD2 and it would tell you precisely nothing...

I'm not being a clever dick and as I hope you've seen through the thread and across the FAS forum in general is that I'm more than happy to help - but what you're requesting is akin to asking someone to dial up the first factory preset on an AxeFX, play Smoke On The Water and hoping to be able to appreciate it's capabilities in order to make a purchasing decision thereafter
unsure.gif

Here you go...

First 8 Bars EZD2
Second 8 Bars (same pattern) SD2

Both completely default, stock kits

It demonstrates how easy it is in EZD2 (unsurprisingly) and then how SD2 presents you with a naked, basic canvass onto which you can create whatever picture you like
thumbsup.gif

The immediate results are uninspiring, the potential is pretty much endless. It just depends on your appetite and objectives
smile.gif

It demonstrates how easy it is in EZD2 (unsurprisingly) and then how SD2 presents you with a naked, basic canvass onto which you can create whatever picture you like
thumbsup.gif

The immediate results are uninspiring, the potential is pretty much endless. It just depends on your appetite and objectives
smile.gif

I *really* appreciate the comparison. Thank you for that.

It will, when Soundcloud is back up from their outage, no doubt tell me quite a bit. All I need to know in fact. Considering purchasing EZD2, a $30 up-sell to SD2 was something to mull over, but if the stock, vanilla sounds are about the same, I probably won't spend the money on SD2 -- I'm not going to be tweaking beyond what EZD2 already lets you do because I'm using it mainly for demo writing purposes.

Back
Top Bottom