How Do You Fix "Farting Out" Low Notes?

EVHalen

Inspired
So I'm a fairly new user and I'm having a problem with a new preset I'm creating. It seems that the notes on my low E string are "farting out" so to speak, when using my neck humbucker pickup. I would describe the notes almost as just a "hum" when sustained, very much unlike the sound of the other strings. What parameter should be changed to remedy this issue? I attached the preset so you can try it for yourself. I noticed that the problem is particularly obvious on the 5th fret A note.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Farting Out Patch.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 23
Low cut works pretty well for this or EQ in the advanced amp setting 63 and 125 Hz specifically, playing with these will have a dramatic effect so do it sparingly. The other is in the Cab block using the stat freq. parameter. It really depends on the amp sim your using so I would try them all to see what works best for your application.

There are various ways to achieve this:

- Engage the "Cut" parameter under the Bass control on the Amp block's Preamp page.

- Use the Various "Low Cut" parameters on the Amp block's Advanced page.

- Use a Filter block.

- Put one of the Tube Screamer style Drive blocks in front of the amp block, Drive at 0.00, Level 10.00 or close to it (my personal favorite way).

- Turn down the Amp block's Drive control/Play with less gain (my personal least favorite way :mrgreen)

If you are using a Drive block before the Amp and it's still a little too "farty", one way I recently tried and really liked was to do a slight bass cut on the Drive's EQ page. I noticed after firmware 10.00 came out that my favorite amp models, the USA Leads (Mesa Mark IV), sounded flubbier than they had before, even with a Drive block in front to tighten them up. After a lot of experimenting, I found that turning down the Bass control on the Drive's EQ page gave me what I was looking for, and without changing the character of the amp like some of the ways I posted above can (IMHO).

Last edited:
Got it fixed! The cut switch alone didn't fix it, but combining that with the "Low Cut" parameter on the Advanced page did it. Thanks guys!

cool! the low cut (i think) cuts the bass BEFORE the amp, so if the amp is creating the flub, you'll have to adjust it in or after the amp block like you did :)

...and don't forget the number-one trick for taming unruly bass: turn down the bass. :)

These guys know their shit. I am one who is appreciating it and still know about 1% of how to work this amazing technical musical machine Cliff has created.

The tips above on pre-overdrive bass cut, and post overdrive bass boost are correct, as you've found. Also, no need to use more gain than you need - I generally keep reducing the gain until it sounds wrong, then nudge it back up a tiny bit.

And some amp models are much better/worse than others in this regard. The Brit 800 has been like this since version 7; it's the price of authenticity :) I use the FAS Crunch model for the old school Marshall sound without the fuzz-bass problem.

One thing not mentioned is the room. For example I had bad room nodes at around 120 Hz in the room where I play at home. That has been mostly fixed by just adding more furniture, rugs and so on.

Reactions: J.C
I did an experiment where I looped a riff, and added EQ and filter blocks to cut 80 HZ in different parts of the chain to hear the differences.
Here's the link to that:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ets-different-guitars-pickups.html#post910929

My next experiment is to try this with the low cut settings in amp and cab blocks. The sound will change depending on where you modify the frequencies.
Recording these different variations helped me hear the differences in where you modify/cut frequencies. This process can also help when using a guitar that has too much bass/treble due to the wood it is built with.

Dave Z

I know it's fixed and been said but when I got "farting bass notes" I raise the low cut on the power amp section. Sometimes I'll bring down the low frequency resonance on the speaker page.

Something that should not be overlooked are the low resonance parameters in the speaker section of the amp block. That along with low cut (amp block) are my go-to parameters when I'm having any type of low end problems that can't be solved with the general bass/depth controls.

Back
Top Bottom