How do you find your Matrix FR212 + Matrix power amp?

Georgy

Inspired
After having played a handful of gigs in recent times, I'm starting to realize why some guys prefer to use an FRFR solution.

At present, I'm using/carrying from gig to gig:
3RU rack (Axe FX + 1RU wilress unit)
2RU rack for my VHT 2/50/2 power amp.
Mesa 2x12 vertical cab
2 x guitars
Plastic tub (spare guitar strings, batteries, some tools, extra cables etc etc)

So then I started thinking about re-visiting the FRFR path again, and thought that maybe something like the Matrix FR212 + a Matrix power amp (either GT800/1000) would do the trick.

So here's the questions..
How does your FR212 + Matrix power amp stack up next to a 100w valve head and 2x12 or 4x12 cab?
Does it struggle next to it or does it over power it?
Does it still deliver the punch or enough punch top compete with a 100w valve heard + cab?
I hate asking this question coz it's so subjective but I need to ask it any.. Does it sound real or close to a real amp+cab?

Ideally, I could use a 4RU rack with the Axe-ii, a Matrix power amp and my 1RU wireless unit which can basically stay plugged in at all times. I could just carry the 4RU rack, with the FR212 and the guitars.. Problem solved... I think?! lol

Any input based on experience would really help guys..

Hey there. I started with a Mesa 4x12 OS cab and a Matrix GT1000. Sold the cab and went the FRFR route. I had an Fr212, Friedman ASM and a CLR at the same time. All of them have their pros and cons but i'd say i like the Fr212 the least. To me its dark, and has way to much bass. However its so damn loud. It was louder than my Mesa cab thats for sure. I still have the Fr212 and the CLR. I actually use the Matrix cab behind me and the CLR in front of me. I create my patches on the CLR and studio monitors. In a gig situation i love the Fr212. All that bass behind me feels so "cab like." The CLR in front gives me the crystal clear sound. Together i think they're great. But i wouldn't hesitate to sell the Fr212 to be honest. Its just an on onstage 'feel' cabinet and Axe Fx rack stand for me. Matrix as a company is great though and i can't say enough good about them.

Back
Top Bottom