How Do *You* Digitally Reamp with the II?

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
Everyone who digitally reamps with the II (and Windows) knows that you can't monitor your mix while you reamp (not enough USB channels in the II). I'm curious as to how various users work around this.

My solution is to use ASIO4ALL, which lets me use the Axe USB interface simultaneously with my main ASIO interface. The problem is that ASIO4ALL cannot take into account the latency of each individual interface. You have to adjust for the longest latency device. So, if the two interfaces do not exactly match, recorded raw pickup tracks do not line up with the rest of the audio, and I have to insert a negative delay plugin on the guitar tracks to make them play at the proper time.

Does anyone have a better solution (aside from buying an Axe III)? How do you handle this?

I like your last idea about buying an Axe-Fx III ;-)

In fact, it's funny this should come up today as I am writing a Re-Amping Tutorial for the Axe-Fx III. Notable improvements are:

- Having 8 Ins and 8 Outs means you can monitor your re-amping preset in the context of the track (and then some).

- While you can still use the Global "Input 1 Select: USB" option, a new dedicated INPUT:USB block allows you design presets which can be used either for USB or Front Panel input. (Alternately, you can process more than one set of stereo tracks at once using these tools.)

When you DO select "Input 1 USB" a pair of inputs are dedicated to re-amping, so setup is as simple as changing the output of your DI to 5+6.

I use Antelope Orion studio, which has extensive routing capabilities inside the unit. So, I can use the Axe as an insert plugin in the DAW, just like I would use any other external hardware unit. Orion outputs the DI guitar through its SPDIF out, it comes back from the Axe into Orion SPDIF in. Then the mix outputs normally through monitors. DAW handles the latency compensation too. This can be done with almost any interface that has it's SPDIF outs freely assignable, not just hardwired to outputs 1/2.

Last edited:
I am doing what the guide in the sticky thread at the top of this forum suggest.

UPDATED with link to thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...th-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771/

I have an audio interface (not the one in the guide - mine is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6). I use the SPDIF connections to record the dry track and then send it back to the AxeFX through SPDIF out. It was a little annoying to set up, but once you do it once, it becomes pretty easy.

Not as easy as it will be in the Axe III though. I'm looking forward to that!

From Logic, using the AFII as the audio interface, I'll:
  • Mute everything except the re-amp track
  • Arm the destination track
  • Set the input of the XL+ to the USB input
  • Play through the section to be re-amp'ed
  • Set the input of the XL+ back to the front, analog input
  • Mute the re-amp track
  • Un-mute everything else
  • Disarm the destination track

I have an audio interface with two spdif I/O channels - RME UCX - and got a optical to coax converter for the second RME spdif channel, which happens to be optical. One spdif channel on RME is used as normal for DAW I/O, and the extra optical spdif carries the direct signal to DAW for re-amping.

I use Antelope Orion studio, which has extensive routing capabilities inside the unit. So, I can use the Axe as an insert plugin in the DAW, just like I would use any other external hardware unit. Orion outputs the DI guitar through its SPDIF out, it comes back from the Axe into Orion SPDIF in. Then the mix outputs normally through monitors. DAW handles the latency compensation too. This can be done with almost any interface that has it's SPDIF outs freely assignable, not just hardwired to outputs 1/2.
I'm going to see if this works with my interface (MOTU 2408 MKii with a PCIe-424 card). This sounds like a better way to do it than my current method.

Back
Top Bottom