How do you boost signal for solos?

curious

Experienced
FF Friends, now that I have a basic grasp of how to make presets, set levels, etc. I’m now trying to figure out the best way to create a boost in my presets for soloing that works for live setting running to FOH. I see folks using a filter block a lot and that seems fine but uses some CPU. I have also seen folks use scene levels to create scenes with a boost. Here’s what I have done in my Plexi preset (thanks @Burgs for great vid): Scene 1 is amp cab and rev - basic. In Scene 2 I boosted level by +4db and added delay X. I set one of the foot switches to toggle between 1/2. In Scene 3 I also raise level by 4db and add a Drive set to add some gain and delay Y which is longer. I set one of the foot switches to Scene 3. This seems to work because I have two good solo options by stomping on a foot switch. If I’m in Scene 3 I can simply stomp on the Scene 1/2 toggle to get home to Scene 1. I went to VU and the other meter to make sure the boost was not causing any clipping (thanks @chris for great vids). I had to adjust level of Scene 1 down a bit to have headroom for scenes 2 and 3.

Would love to get thoughts on how folks are doing this and pros and cons of each method.

Cheers.

I use the master level... but I see many people doing the same than above, taking up the level at the block level... am I doing something wrong?

And yes a bit of mid boost too, usually on the amp block

Like keeping it simple :)

I have 3 boosts in my main patch.
Boost on the amp page is triggered by footswitch
Boost on Master volume is triggered by footswitch
Drive block.

filter set to null at the end of the chain, usually around a 4 db boost. just boosts overall volume without affecting gain staging

I have an expression pedal on the master volume. My expression pedal has an adjustable minimum. So I set the minimum volume to where I want my rhythm level to be. From there, I have a variable amount of volume increase - sometimes I goose it just a bit for a fill or something.

One more vote here for a mid boost with some form of EQ. In a traditional amp, I put the EQ in the loop and kick it in for solos. I figured this out years ago and never looked back.

I have a scene controller attached to level in the cab block so I can set the volume per scene but before the delay and reverb. I tried setting the level using the scene level but it boosts the delay level in a weird way sometimes, its just way more natural sounding to boost before the delay.

I use the master level... but I see many people doing the same than above, taking up the level at the block level... am I doing something wrong?

And yes a bit of mid boost too, usually on the amp block

Like keeping it simple :)

I had my boost on the output level per scene, but it was difficult to manage (if you want to change the level, you have to do it for every scene, for example). I found it simpler to have a null filter block at the end of the fx chain. That way, you can clearly see when it is off or on and, if you are not in scene mode, you can control just the boost with a footswitch.

I use the GEQ in 5 band passive mode after the cab block but before delay and reverb.

I like a bit of mid boost. With a mid boost, you don't need much extra level to cut the mix. Usually I have the block level +1 or +2 with the EQ set for a mid boost.

Interesting approach. Hadn’t heard that one. Will try it and see if it works. I love the idea of boosting the mids to cut through without too much more volume.

I have an expression pedal on the master volume. My expression pedal has an adjustable minimum. So I set the minimum volume to where I want my rhythm level to be. From there, I have a variable amount of volume increase - sometimes I goose it just a bit for a fill or something.

Interesting approach. Do you mean the master volume in the mixer section of the amp block?

Thanks so much to all who replied. Guys, this is incredibly helpful. I have no less than 4 new approaches to try for boosting my signal. Will try them soon as I can and comment later. Going to see the Killers tonight. Pretty psyched.

Plenty of ways to do this; filter block, EQ block, drive block, etc... I prefer not to change around the scene volumes, as if you have a lot of presets and scenes, now you need to remember what is boosted and what is not

Lots of options, Scene Controller, Control Switch, Filter block, EQ block, Drive X/Y etc.... I using the Control Switch because I can select the specific parameters I want to change (volume and gain on amp and drive, level of delay or compressor etc...) and it doesn't require using another block. Other methods boost the whole preset, which I realize is the same as a SOLO feature on an amp, but the ability to control certain parameters has given my solo tones a different feel than simply boosting everything that's on in the chain.

Chris and or @jlynnb1, any advantage to the filter block versus a GEQ block? I use the GEQ with a +5db boost and a little increase in the mid frequencies. Thanks.
Perhaps it’s more simple. I also tend to not use Filter blocks for anything else, while I might use the EQ blocks for other things.

I put a GEQ after the amp block to change my Friedman HBE amp from a bassy, chunky rhythm tone to a mid boosted, lows and highs cut lead tone with a boost. So that scene is always a louder lead tone with the same amp block/type, since the AX8 only has 1 amp block. I use the other GEQ block for something similar for the Clean amp of that preset. Then all I have left is the Filter for an overall boost.

I have 2 methods. First is the null filter at the end of the chain. Gain bumped up +3 or +4. Apparently I'm not the only one who does that.:) Second method is a bit more complicated. I have reworked my presets with Scene 1 on footswitch 1, and Scene 2 on footswitch 5. Scene 2 gives me a lead sound for each preset. In most, scene 2 is the same amp in a Y state with the input drive cranked up. I also bump up the output level a bit for the amp in Y state. If my lead calls for the same tone but just louder, I use the null filter. If the lead calls for mas cojones, I use the scene 2. I have reworked all my go-to presets in this way.

Back
Top Bottom