How do you apply EQ to an existing IR?

xpenno

Power User
As the title says...

Can you take an existing IR and say remove some of the low end or add top end? What's the process? What software is required?

Thanks in advance...

Spence

xrist04 said:
Why not just add an EQ block after the CAB block?

Yeah that's a possibility, just thinking about getting an IR and trying to make it work with the built in Mic sims... Say you have an IR that was made with a SM57 mic, would be nice to be able to EQ out the Mic before it's uploaded to the Axe.....

Spence

I just tried the EQ parallel to the cab and I got quite interesting results. Just set the EQ volume to -15 to -20db and mess around with the frequencies.

RB_Guitar said:
I just tried the EQ parallel to the cab and I got quite interesting results. Just set the EQ volume to -15 to -20db and mess around with the frequencies.

I imagine you are going to run into some phase issues w/ that.

Think I figured it out, probably not the best way but it goes some way to getting to what I was after. I just loaded the IR into a cab sim in my DAW, ran an EQ after it, ran a sweep through it and deconvolved it. If anyone has a better way of doing this then it would be good to knoe ;)

Spence

You could put an EQ block before or after the amp, in serial, not parallel. If you process the actual IR with EQ, it will have the exact same effect (except for the fact that the IR is windowed down to a shorter length in conversion, but really it's a small difference).

The way you did it, you don't have to run a sweep or anything. Just open the IR up and EQ it. The sweep/deconvolution step was redundant.

schnarf said:
You could put an EQ block before or after the amp, in serial, not parallel. If you process the actual IR with EQ, it will have the exact same effect (except for the fact that the IR is windowed down to a shorter length in conversion, but really it's a small difference).

The way you did it, you don't have to run a sweep or anything. Just open the IR up and EQ it. The sweep/deconvolution step was redundant.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom