How do you all use your AXE live?

Paulg2uk

Power User
HI guys,

I'm interested to know if most of you use the AXE in different live situations? Do you just run cab and amps sims through a PA or are you running thru a tube head or do you like doing both on separate occasions?

I'm using an FX8 live with my guitar amp at the moment but have recently bought and XL+ and I'm still getting my rig together. I use the axe at home thru my studio monitors. I thought it might be a good idea to use the axe with my guitar amp if I felt the need to and also be able to just run the cab sims etc thru the FOH,power amp and speakers.

I guess what I'm saying is do I really need the FX8 now I have the axe which will run either way.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Many thanks

Paul

I run to FOH with Cab and Power amp sims on and to a dedicated powered wedge with Cab and Power amp sims on too.

I bring a real amp rig and pedals when I need a real amp vs. a hybrid Fractal rig. I did the Fractal + amp a few times but it just ended up being more work to transport and program. I already have a pedalboard and real amps setup the way I liked.

I'll give my stock answer.. it depends.
I have always run main L/R (XLR) outs to PA, with OUT2 going to amp/cab.
The amp/cab has sometimes been an Atomic 50w combo, or a PA amp (QSC) into an FRFR cab, or no amp/cab when IEM.

Some use the 4CM, some use FRFR direct, some go into an amp, mic'ing the cab, some do what I do.
Some have tried multiple variations of the above approaches

Basically, there's no one "correct" way..
It's whatever works and sounds good for YOUR situation.

Sometimes you just have to try it!

direct to FOH/IEM, CLR on stage for vibe. (i have the good fortune of playing either loud rooms or large stages 99% of the time)

Guitar to several outboard effects before Fractal input (Morpheus Droptune,
Rocktron Banshee Talkbox,EH B9 Organ pedal. Axe II Left out to FOH using
amp/cab sims. Right out to Carvin Power amp, then to 1 or 2 Guitar cabs on stage, cab sims off.
Gives me lots of versatility using different cab sims for presets to FOH, and great stage
sound using reg guitar cabs & power amp.

MFC101 connected to Axe II via ethernet cable for preset control, effects on/off, scenes, etc.

My rig is pretty straight-forward:
Guitar->G90 wireless->AxeFX->direct to FOH, plus stereo power amp onstage with 2 FRFR speakers. On bigger stages / tours, I just go in-ear.

G90 into Axe II. Output one to FOH, output two to Atomic CLR. I LOVE the simplicity of setup, yet being able to use about 12 different amps and tons of different effects all available at a press of my Liquidfoot jr+ midi pedal! When I first bought my Axe, I tried running it with a ton of different poweramps through cabs and non-powered monitors. I MUCH prefer running the Atomic CLR as I have a truer sense of what the audience hears (granted all PA's are different, but it's closer than any other setup I've run).

My Axe FX II Output 1 L and R goes straight to the SoundBoard for Gigs ,and rehearsing situations Output 1 L and R goes also SoundBoard and active PA-system.

Output 1 to FOH and my IEMs
Output 2 to onstage FRFR (Matrix CFR12) - mostly for feedback and the other musos on stage etc, don't really need air pushing behind me or anything :) Its plenty loud enough for gigs where IEMs aren't an option though!

Cab sims on throughout.

Glorious \m/

Attachments

• 11057946_1152367461459114_6088194406362401893_n.jpg
    11057946_1152367461459114_6088194406362401893_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 6
In my Axe infancy days, I ran through my Peavey XXX's effects send and used a pedal board (tuner/wah) and Voodoo Lab GCP.

Nowadays, after much counsel and deliberation, I run direct to FOH and monitor through the stage wedges with the GCP and a Mission Engineering EP-1 on the floor for control. Tone boner every time.

Also just ordered myself a pair of QSC KW153s for rehearsals/ear
drum ruptures.

Sincerely,
Recovering Tube Addict

Scenario 1, the basic:
Output 1 goes to FOH. Output 2 goes to a full range speaker on the stage. That way I get separate volume controls for stage monitor only, not ruining the FOH mix. Life is easy.

Scenario 2, "TURN THAT THING DOWN!!":
Output 1 goes to PA and my monitor. Output 2 is without cab sims, goes to a tube power amp, with 1x12" and 4x12". I get everything of everything. Cab sims for FOH, stage 1x12" for clean tones and 4x12" for the rest. I've found that this mode is too silly and better suited to practise room, as the guitar cabs aren't really doing anything useful except looking cool. Life is hard, carrying everything sucks, and it fills half a van.

Scenario 3, swiss knife:
Input1L has acoustic guitar. Input 1R has bass. Outputs 1 and 2 go to FOH, containing separate fully tweaked guitar and bass sounds. Both in stereo, is silly effects are required.

Home:
Mic preamp goes into Axe input 2. Axe works as a computer sound card, performing the duties of everyday-life. I can talk in Skype with the longest effects chain imaginable. I can attenuate room resonances out with Axe EQ... Guitar goes into input 1, awesomeness comes out from Output 1 into studio monitors and straight thru USB into the computer.

Last edited:
Output 1 L/R to FOH. Output 2 L/R to effects return of a Flextone XL loaded with Celestions. I just use the Flextone for a stage monitor

Amp sims and cab. One side to FOH and the other into a 15" coaxial wedge (FRFR)
I use to Axe to shape my tone into FOH and the wedge. They are flat and close. I can hear both sides for stereo efx. if I don't turn up the stage wedge too loud.

I run Amp and Cab sims, AES out to AES in on a digital mixing board...direct injection.
I run electric into input 1 front and acoustic into L/R of input 2 in back.
If you can remove your amp, you'll remove the limitations the amp imposes.

Live: Output 1 to PA and IEMs. Output 2 to Matrix Q12 on a stand behind me. Both are mono, with different EQs

Rehearsal: same, but the pa runs at lower volume.

Home: Just the Matrix, turned down a bit. Our stage volume is quite low, so Fletcher Munson doesn't get a look in

I go Out 1 to FOH and monitor through IEM. If I need onstage monitoring other than IEM, I would use my CLR cab.

Back
Top Bottom