How Do U Arrange Your Presets?

22 frets

Experienced
How do you arrange your presets? Do you put your user presets starting right after the last factory preset? Do you put them at the end of the user area so you can roll over from 511 to 000 and back? Do you put them at the beginning at 000 and move the factory presets to the higher number locations. Do you leave factory presets on your modeler or do you offload them to your PC and just use your own custom presets? Do you have sections of presets like User, Factory and Austin Buddy, etc.

Any tips on how to arrange the various presets as it seems like the only practical way to access them while on stage is via the bank + and bank - switches? Bending over and scrolling through the list of tiny preset names on the screen (for the FM3 and FM9 is not an option for me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine are all at the beginning; I have between 20 and 30 so far, and I just overwrite the factory presets as I go (I can always redownload them if I really wanted).

I use MIDI sent from the OnSong app on my iPad via Bluetooth to call up presets (as well as call up specific scenes and engage/bypass certain blocks and adjust some parameters), so it doesn't matter what order the actual presets are in for me.

I start all of my "template" presets at 400, and reserve 390-399 for my set list for gigs. I just copy a template preset to those set list spots and then set the tempo, and arrange the scenes as needed. On my perform layout, I have the preset up/down as the hold functions for the right/left buttons, and wrap around to only the set list presets I am using, so I can go from last song to first easily after rehearsal.

I wonder if there is a way to easily shift all the factory presets to the end so that we would have 0 to 100something available for user presets. I mostly use the factory presets to get a good starting amp sound for whatever amp I want to use.

All my guitar per-song presets start at 000. I use bank B for bass presets and to store some purchased presets. I use banks C and D for selected factory and Auston Buddy presets.
The good news for you is they are working on a better screen interface layout that will allow you to see your presets more easily than you can now.

I start all of my "template" presets at 400, and reserve 390-399 for my set list for gigs. I just copy a template preset to those set list spots and then set the tempo, and arrange the scenes as needed. On my perform layout, I have the preset up/down as the hold functions for the right/left buttons, and wrap around to only the set list presets I am using, so I can go from last song to first easily after rehearsal.

I wonder if there is a way to easily shift all the factory presets to the end so that we would have 0 to 100something available for user presets. I mostly use the factory presets to get a good starting amp sound for whatever amp I want to use.
I guess you could use the Preset Manager in FM Edit, highlight the entire preset list, then drag and drop it to the higher empty user presets to free up 000 -100. This might choke the editor and overload it causing a corrupt set of presets though. I know it works moving smaller groups of presets, maybe 10 or so at a time. I do this all the time with no problems. Just make sure you have any modified presets backed up.

On my perform layout, I have the preset up/down as the hold functions for the right/left buttons, and wrap around to only the set list presets I am using, so I can go from last song to first easily after rehearsal.
Neat idea. Gives me some thoughts of how I can use this to solve a similar issue. Thanks for sharing.

I guess you could use the Preset Manager in FM Edit, highlight the entire preset list, then drag and drop it to the higher empty user presets to free up 000 -100. This might choke the editor and overload it causing a corrupt set of presets though. I know it works moving smaller groups of presets, maybe 10 or so at a time. I do this all the time with no problems. Just make sure you have any modified presets backed up.
  1. Do a backup of the bank where you store your personal presets.
  2. Reset the preset banks from the front panel.
  3. Use Fracal-Bot to load the factory preset banks. It will ask which bank you want them in before restoring.
  4. Restore your personal presets to whichever bank you want them in.
Technically you can use the Preset Manager, but it will be slower as it reads, caches, then reloads after you drag the presets to different slots, then you still have to store them. Since you’re dealing in banks for the most part let Fractal-Bot handle that heavy lifting. Just remember to set the modeler on an empty preset before you start … it actually helps speed up backups.

I’ve deleted all factory presets and keep them on my pc for quick access via usb.

Ive replaced banks 1-3 with Austin Buddy’s Live Gold which I find to have less cool/weird stuff but more really useful presets at my fingertips.

Bank 4 starts one preset per song in my bands set list In the order we play them. Lots of duplicates just with different names.

The rest of bank 4 is Moke’s presets, many of which are also copied to my set list slots.

Having gotten used to Manage Presets had made this all very easy to deal with if it sounds like a lot.

How do you arrange your presets? Do you put your user presets starting right after the last factory preset? Do you put them at the end of the user area so you can roll over from 511 too 000 and back? Do you put them at the beginning at 000 and move the factory presets to the higher number locations. Do you leave factory presets on your modeler or do you offload them to your PC and just use your own custom presets? Do you have sections of presets like User, Factory and Austin Buddy, etc.

Any tips on how to arrange the various presets as it seems like the only practical way to access them while on stage is via the bank + and bank - switches? Bending over and scrolling through the list of tiny preset names on the screen (for the FM3 and FM9 is not an option for me. Thanks!

If you don't want to hassle with losing all of your presets, or having to save them elsewhere, then put them
after t
he Factory presets. I have seen folks mention the hassle of losing presets, or having to save them, or
forgetting to do so. Putting all of your presets post 400 will save you any of that hassle. :)

^ What he said.

Of course I am a relative newbie but I put my custom made presets in the 400+ range and I have some effects only setups in the 399-390 range. I use these for using my FM3 as a pedalboard going into an amp. Currently my jam setup is FM3 into my Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. So much fun!

I'm one that keeps only known, "gig-ready", presets on the machine. All other OEM or purchased presets reside in the "Preset Library" accessible on the PC or cloud. I don't see any reason to have all that clutter on there. It's not like I'm going to load up an FAS Modern II while playing out and say "gee, wonder how this sounds?" If I'm playing around with presets - developing or evaluating - I'm at home in the studio or at a hotel with access to my computer. But, that's what works for me. YMMV

^ What he said.

Of course I am a relative newbie but I put my custom made presets in the 400+ range and I have some effects only setups in the 399-390 range. I use these for using my FM3 as a pedalboard going into an amp. Currently my jam setup is FM3 into my Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. So much fun!
I’m planing to buy a Tonemaster can you please share how you connect the Tonemaster? Can you by passs the tonemaster and use the cabinet?
I’m just curious about your setup and how you use it thanks

After a year of using the FM3, when I got my FM9 I decided to just erase all of the factory stuff and start from scratch. I'll probably load up my Austin Buddy Live Gold pack but the first two banks or so are what I'm using on gigs now.

Bank A is for the presets I like/work/experiment with the most. FAS amps, GOT patches, Dumbles/Wrecks, etc.
~Bank B is for factory presets re-named organized by amp manufacture and/or "tonestack" type, per year, model, player, etc :). Fender, Marshall, Vox, extra boutique stuff, high-gain amps follow.
Banks C and D and also for factory and/or other presets, with additional "per-band/guitar player". Factory presets dedicated for effects showcase are the very last in the list - they are my "placeholders" to be replaced once I'm out of free slots in Bank A. I try them time from time, and rename to "empty" those I don't intend to use.
Looks like this :) It is evolving on a weekly basis at the very least, and will look very differently a month from now!
1672677662528.png

Mine are all at the beginning; I have between 20 and 30 so far, and I just overwrite the factory presets as I go (I can always redownload them if I really wanted).

I use MIDI sent from the OnSong app on my iPad via Bluetooth to call up presets (as well as call up specific scenes and engage/bypass certain blocks and adjust some parameters), so it doesn't matter what order the actual presets are in for me.
Can you re-download and install a set of factory presets (say from 0 to 100) or do you have to install of them in one go?

Can you re-download and install a set of factory presets (say from 0 to 100) or do you have to install of them in one go?
Yes, I believe you can install them individually, the entire lot, or just particular banks. Honestly, I've never had any interest in doing it so I'm not sure lol!

Yes. If you drag the .syx file of all of the factory presets into the Browser of the Manage Presets tool in the editor, you can pull over whichever ones you want into the slots you want.

Back
Top Bottom