How do two FC-6 pedals compare to a single FC-12?

Marcel

Inspired
I'm trying to decide between two FC-6 pedals or one FC-12. I'm leaning towards the dual FC-6 approach because I could theoretically keep one FC-6 on the side of the stage for presets/utilities changes between songs and the other at the front of the stage for scene/pedal changes during songs. This would also give me the flexibility of just using a single FC-6 for smaller gigs where foot print size is important.

What I don't understand is how does the setup I described actually compare to a single FC-12? What am I losing if I go with two FC-6's? Do both FC-6 pedals work independently or do they work together?

One key difference is that you have to use external power to power the second FC controller.

In terms of functionality, you can run the as one or independently however you want. You load layouts and on a FC6 you also have two views per layout, so you can choose whatever layout you want on each. For instance, you could have two FCs at different places running the same layout/view so you can control the same thing from different places. Or you can place them next to each other and run different layouts/views on them so that they appear as one big FC12 controller. Or you can use one FC controller to select 6 different layouts/views on the other FC controller, or pretty much any other combination you want.

Let's say I have two FC-6 pedals next to each other and I step on the right one and rock from heel to toe on the rightmost buttons to change to the MLM, will the MLM be displayed across both pedals? Also, can I control what is displayed on both pedals by interacting with just one pedal?

Let's say I have two FC-6 pedals next to each other and I step on the right one and rock from heel to toe on the rightmost buttons to change to the MLM, will the MLM be displayed across both pedals? Also, can I control what is displayed on both pedals by interacting with just one pedal?

I don’t think the MLM will be displayed on both, but you can make something similar - if you program button 6 (any button really) hold function to display Layout 9 view 1 (MLM) you can also set that when that happens, switch the other FCs layout to display Layout 9 view 2. So instead of using the rocker function to get to the MLM, you press and hold one of the buttons to display the MLM.

I do not have either (FM3 here) but one advantage I see is, depending on the gig and stage, you could bring just one FC6. Just a thought!

Keep in mind you can only power ONE FC6 from the mothership, you need external power for the second FC6...IIRC that is.

20200918_214534.jpg

Left one uses two layouts - presets and scenes.
Right one has one layout with per preset stuff.
Views makes each more or less equivalent to an FC12.... :)

Get the boxcars. So much better than just the FC12....

With two FC6es, you can take advantage of the Views feature to take advantage if the previously unused buttons in the layouts, so you get 12 buttons worth of control per FC. If you take advantage of Layout Links, you can do things like switch from a Presets layout to a Scenes layout when selecting a preset. You can also set up scenes 1-4 on tap and 5-8 on hold with Layout Links that swap you to the other View, where you have set up scenes 5-8 on tap and 1-4 on hold with Layout Links to go back to the first View. Lots of things are possible, and you really do have twice the power of an FC12 at your feet....

With two FC6es, you can take advantage of the Views feature to take advantage if the previously unused buttons in the layouts, so you get 12 buttons worth of control per FC. If you take advantage of Layout Links, you can do things like switch from a Presets layout to a Scenes layout when selecting a preset. You can also set up scenes 1-4 on tap and 5-8 on hold with Layout Links that swap you to the other View, where you have set up scenes 5-8 on tap and 1-4 on hold with Layout Links to go back to the first View. Lots of things are possible, and you really do have twice the power of an FC12 at your feet....
I don't disagree that with two separate FCs you do have more control in a sense, because you can switch layouts for each of them separately. You also have more options for the physical arrangement of them, pedals between them for instance.

However, if I'm not mistaken, all the actual switching scenarios you listed can be done with an FC-12 too.

I don't disagree that with two separate FCs you do have more control in a sense, because you can switch layouts for each of them separately. You also have more options for the physical arrangement of them, pedals between them for instance.

However, if I'm not mistaken, all the actual switching scenarios you listed can be done with an FC-12 too.
Ah, but a single FC12 doesn't give you Views. A pair of FC6es gives you access to all those formerly unused buttons, so you get twice as many buttons to play with if you plan carefully....

It effectively doubles the number of layouts, as you have 9 layouts x 2 views each....

2 x FC6 > FC12....

Last edited:
Ah, but a single FC12 doesn't give you Views. A pair of FC6es gives you access to all those formerly unused buttons, so you get twice as many buttons to play with if you plan carefully....

It effectively doubles the number of layouts, as you have 9 layouts x 2 views each....

2 x FC6 > FC12....
Ah yeah, I don't have 6 so I'm not up on the whole Views concept, which only applies to the 6, right?

But layout links apply to either controller, so you can switch to Scenes or Effects when you choose a preset. I've recently changed my layouts to do exactly that.

Ah yeah, I don't have 6 so I'm not up on the whole Views concept, which only applies to the 6, right?

But layout links apply to either controller, so you can switch to Scenes or Effects when you choose a preset. I've recently changed my layouts to do exactly that.
Layout Links are incredibly useful. Yeah, Views lets the 6 use the 'extra' switches. Makes a 6 equivalent to the 12 if used well....

My thoughts are taking me towards having 2 FC-6's, one for the guitar player and one for the bass player so that each can use their own signal path and be on different sides of the stage... or even a vocalist. The possibilities are endless...

Thanks everyone for the incredibly helpful feedback. I’ve opted to get the FC-12 after borrowing an FC-12 and an FC-6 from a couple of friends and using them for a week. The FC-12 fits my playing style better because I need more available options without having to switch layouts and/or views during a song. The good news is I can always decide to get one or two FC-6’s in the future :)

Thanks again for the feedback - I read every post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom