How do Scenes differ from X/Y?

Rich G.

Experienced
Sorry if this has been covered already. I can't seem to find it.

How do Scenes differ from using X/Y? Isn't X/Y just like having two Scenes?

Truth be known, I don't use Scenes or X/Y at the moment. I still need to wrap my head around how to implement that with my midi controller (Axess FX1).

Every block in the Axe-Fx has a bypass state: engaged or bypassed. Many blocks also have an X/Y state.

A scene saves the bypass state and X/Y state for each block independently. For example consider a preset that only has an amp, cab and reverb. The scenes may be thus:
Scene 1: Amp X and engaged, cab engaged, reverb X and engaged
Scene 2: Amp Y and engaged, cab engaged, reverb Y and engaged
Scene 3: Amp X and engaged, cab engaged, reverb bypassed
etc.

AFAIK both can be complementary.

with scenes you can't change amp or effect type.

with scenes you only control on and off state or level and X/Y states.

with x/y you can have two different effects with different settings or the same effect with different settings

What Cliff said. X/Y applies to individual blocks: amp, cab, fx, etc. Scenes are like an entire setup that you can access with just one pedal tap, and includes both x/y states and on/off states for each block (and using scene controllers, the levels of many parameters).

Think of it this way: say that you want to go from your rhythm sound to your lead sound. On a traditional pedalboard, you'd need to tap dance if you wanted to switch amp channels, turn on the reverb and overdrive, boost the delay, and turn off the chorus. You can set up scenes to do all of that (and more) with just one IA switch.

Back
Top Bottom