How do I temporarily block my Floyd Rose tremolo?

Blaze

I'm trying to figure out how it would be possible to temporarily set my floating Floyd Rose so it becomes a hardtail. Preferably something that can be done on the fly, in between songs in a set. I would love to be able to simply flip a switch, and the tremolo is instantly blocked when I want it to be. This would stop all up and down tremolo movement, allowing double stop bends to be perfectly in-tune, and ensuring that my guitar wouldn't get horribly out of tune if I were to break a string. Any recommendations?

P.S. I know about the Tremol-No, but I've read from several sources that it isn't the most functional/reliable device. Does anyone know of any better alternatives?

Tremol-No is the only device I know of that will do what your looking for at least until someone comes up with a better idea. If installed correctly it will work hassel free, the one I have on my guitar now has been on two other guitars with no problems.

+1 on the tremel-no... I had one but didn't like the rubbing feeling I got from it. a few pennies stacked with some electrical tape stuck in there can work in a pinch ;)

I've got mixed feelings about the Tremel-No.

I'm going to have mine removed the next round when I take that guitar to my tech.

It does work. But for me, in the long haul, it created some tuning stability issues that I didn't have without it.

And I had mine installed by a great shop that know what they are doing.

A floating Floyd setup is tricky to get right, but if done properly, works better without the Tremel-No for me.

Tremol-No is the only device I know of that will do what your looking for at least until someone comes up with a better idea. If installed correctly it will work hassel free, the one I have on my guitar now has been on two other guitars with no problems.

+1 on the tremel-no... I had one but didn't like the rubbing feeling I got from it. a few pennies stacked with some electrical tape stuck in there can work in a pinch ;)

I've got mixed feelings about the Tremel-No.

I'm going to have mine removed the next round when I take that guitar to my tech.

It does work. But for me, in the long haul, it created some tuning stability issues that I didn't have without it.

And I had mine installed by a great shop that know what they are doing.

A floating Floyd setup is tricky to get right, but if done properly, works better without the Tremel-No for me.

These kinds of conflicting reports are exactly why I'm looking for an alternative to the Tremol-No lol. I don't wanna be one of the unlucky guys that it didn't work for. I was just curious if anyone on the forum knew of a good alternative, or if we'll just have to wait until someone invents a new product.

A properly cut block of wood placed inside the claw cavity

Now that is a practical idea, but I would need both sides of the sustain block to be blocked off, to prevent tremolo movement in either direction. Blocking one side would allow me to pull off the double stop bends, but what about if I wanted to change to drop D tuning or 1/2 step down? How would I get a 2nd block of wood underneath the springs on the fly?

I use the trem stopper from fu-tone. Works amazing for setting intonation as well.

A properly cut block of wood placed inside the claw cavity

I just realized that these two ideas could work together to achieve what I'm trying to do. Might take a little extra time to adjust two different things between songs (both wood block and Trem Stopper), but that may be my best option right now.

I don't own a guitar with a Floyd atm but when I was a kid I would use dice and pennies/coins. :)

Check this out. The Mag-Lok Anti-Deflection Device at Super-Vee.com
The ingenious design of the Mag-Lok is one of a kind. Termed an “Anti-Deflection Device”, the Mag-Lok will keep your floating bridge from pulling forward when performing a fret board string bend or “double-stop” bend. This pulling of the bridge, lightens the tension on the unbent strings causing them to slacken and subsequently go out of tune.

I haven't tried it, but I have been thinking about it.

Last edited:
P.S. I know about the Tremol-No, but I've read from several sources that it isn't the most functional/reliable device. Does anyone know of any better alternatives?
It does a pretty good job, but if you want real fixed bridge type double stop bends and whatnot, the Tremol-No doesn't really do it. It still lets the bridge move a little bit. Certainly not as much as when the bridge is fully floating, but it's there. So I guess it depends how picky you are about it.

100089_x.jpg

Shave it, shape it to spec. No permanent fixture, no moving parts, won't mark up the finish on your guitar. Cheap, disposable. Malaysian.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=southern%20engineer

But for me, in the long haul, it created some tuning stability issues that I didn't have without it. And I had mine installed by a great shop that know what they are doing.
If you had tuning issues, the shop did not know what they were doing. I've installed it on 5-6 guitars with no tuning or feel issues. It does take a bit of tweaking to dial out any rubbing and I did have the benefit of seeing Kevan (T-no creator) do an install.

Check this out. The Mag-Lok Anti-Deflection Device at Super-Vee.com
The ingenious design of the Mag-Lok is one of a kind. Termed an “Anti-Deflection Device”, the Mag-Lok will keep your floating bridge from pulling forward when performing a fret board string bend or “double-stop” bend. This pulling of the bridge, lightens the tension on the unbent strings causing them to slacken and subsequently go out of tune.

I haven't tried it, but I have been thinking about it.

That looks pretty cool. The way they talk about the "rare earth rocks" in the videos makes it sound like it works through magic. :lol If you decide to try it, let me know how well it works. The only downside I've read about it so far is that it won't allow you to flutter your Floyd Rose. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom