How do i take the harshness or the bite out?

Rocky Gallo

Inspired
I love my Ax8... But i am trying to warm up the sound and get rid of the harshness if that makes sense... Its not the treble ... The sound, sounds harsh to my ears... Im trying to get a warm sound less harshness and bite... I am am running the deluxe verb amp... The clean is great the distorted and lead sounds seem bitey... Ive tried turning adjusting treble, and done various eq-ing... Nothing is seeming to work... Im finding alot of the amps sound seem to have that bite... Can anyone offer me some ideas to try...
Thanks

If you use the dynamic compressor, you can lower the dynamics. This can help. Also high cut in the cab block can help. Lowering the treble only lowers the volume of the treble frequencies, it doesn't cut them out in my experience.

What are you using for “distorted” and “lead” sounds on the Deluxe Verb? Higher input drive or a drive block?
Using the 808 mod for drive on the distortion... I tried fulltone od... The bite was still there... Its also the the feel... Its hard for me to explain... Im sure u have played several tube amps and there is that warmth and the feel u get...

Using the 808 mod for drive on the distortion... I tried fulltone od... The bite was still there... Its also the the feel... Its hard for me to explain... Im sure u have played several tube amps and there is that warmth and the feel u get...

Yes for sure, I am familiar with the warmth of real tubes. The cab block suggestions above are great. Also is important what you monitor on. Some of my patches sound gritty/bitey on headphones but sound great on my studio monitors and through high end PA systems.

You don't mention what you're playing through - studio monitors/FRFR/amp & cab but taming the high cut in the cab module works a treat for me.
Maybe also try a 2-4 db boost with a narrow Q around 770hz to give a bit more guitar-esque woomphhh to the sound

Love the Deluxe for clean tones, had a ton of trouble with the dirty ones. I found the best pedal to pair with it is one of the tube drives, 3 knob I think. I'll upload the preset this evening.

The Deluxe is an amp I never bonded with as I always find it harsh. Like everyone else has said, do experiment with the hi cut in the cab block. 8k is a good starting point. And do try different IR's aside from the matching cab that I find rather harsh and thin.

The harshness you're hearing is coming from the 2k-5k region from various peaks that almost all guitar speakers (real or impulse) have, unfortunately. Take a parametric eq with a fairly narrow bandwidth, cut a few db and scan around the 2k-5k region. You may need more than one band of PEQ to smooth it out to your liking. Also, don't even bother with low passing because that's really just to tame the upper "fizz" which many people assume will tame harshness too...not the case.

Back
Top Bottom