How do I run my talkbox with the AxeFx2

sgilsinger

Inspired
I have an AxeFx2 MK2 and an MFC101.I also have a talkbox that I am using, I am currently running the talkbox before the Axe.The signal goes from my guitar to the wireless into the talkbox and then into the Axe.I was wondering if anyone knows a way that I can connect the talkbox to the MFC and control the talkbox with the MFC?The talkbox is a Rocktron Banshee 2. Any help is appreciated

Control what on the Banshee with the MFC? If you're talking about the actual effect that requires your mouth it would be the equivalent of asking the MFC to play your guitar parts for you. Or you could use the talk box simulator in the Axe that Cliff I believe is rolling out soon when it debuts.

If you just want to kick it in and out of presets probably the effects send and return could work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Control what on the Banshee with the MFC? If you're talking about the actual effect that requires your mouth it would be the equivalent of asking the MFC to play your guitar parts for you. Or you could use the talk box simulator in the Axe that Cliff I believe is rolling out soon when it debuts.

If you just want to kick it in and out of presets probably the effects send and return could work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to be able to turn it on and off with the mfc. I am wondering if it can be hooked up to the mfc or if it has to be connected in the fx loop of the Axe?If it is hooked up in the fx loop of the Axe,then how do I switch it on and off with the mfc?

Ok I use a talkbox myself. I've had the Banshee but now I've got the MXR one.

I would recommend actually running the talkbox in the Effects loop. Make a parallel route from your guitar signal for the Effects Block. Have the effects send going to the input of the talkbox. This way you can leave the talkbox constantly on but use scenes to switch on your FX Loop Block on or off to feed the signal to it on or off. Effectively this will give you one less thing to switch when you want to use the talkbox and changing scenes at the same time. This way you don't need to run an extra lead from the talkbox output to the axe fx (leave the pedal output unplugged).

Set output 2 on the front panel to max (unity).

Now if you really want to do some really cool stuff get yourself a small vocal preamp. Run your vocal/talkbox mic into it and send the output to the effects return on the Axe Fx. This way you now have the normal guitar signal running through your axe fx (of course) but also your talkbox tone as well as your vocals. Now you can use the Axe Fx to put effects (delays and reverbs) on your talkbox or use it for just vocal effects too when you are not using the talkbox. I recommend putting a Gate/Expander Block on the vocal line(just in case of feedback too). Set the effects return to mono in the I/O page (i think).

This is how I am running live. I have a small ART Vocal preamp mounted on my pedal board for my vocal/talkbox mic and I couldn't be happier with it. Here's a pic of my compact board and you can see the talkbox and the small preamp there too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...247.1073741826.100000490942422&type=1&theater
In the photo you can see a little 4 channel patch bay that I made. Only using 2 channels. White is effects send (from Axe Fx) to the input of the talkbox and red is output of vocal preamp to effects return (of the Axe Fx).

I hope this was more helpful than the previous poster.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Talkbox rules!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
You won't be able to turn it on and off directly with the mfc but, you can use the bypass mode of FX loop in the axe-fx to get it done. Read 5.8 of the manual.

Ok I use a talkbox myself. I've had the Banshee but now I've got the MXR one.

I would recommend actually running the talkbox in the Effects loop. Make a parallel route from your guitar signal for the Effects Block. Have the effects send going to the input of the talkbox. This way you can leave the talkbox constantly on but use scenes to switch on your FX Loop Block on or off to feed the signal to it on or off. Effectively this will give you one less thing to switch when you want to use the talkbox and changing scenes at the same time. This way you don't need to run an extra lead from the talkbox output to the axe fx (leave the pedal output unplugged).

Set output 2 on the front panel to max (unity).

Now if you really want to do some really cool stuff get yourself a small vocal preamp. Run your vocal/talkbox mic into it and send the output to the effects return on the Axe Fx. This way you now have the normal guitar signal running through your axe fx (of course) but also your talkbox tone as well as your vocals. Now you can use the Axe Fx to put effects (delays and reverbs) on your talkbox or use it for just vocal effects too when you are not using the talkbox. I recommend putting a Gate/Expander Bock on the vocal line(just in case of feedback too). Set the effects return to mono in the I/O page (i think).

This is how I am running live. I have a small ART Vocal preamp mounted on my pedal board for my vocal/talkbox mic and I couldn't be happier with it. Here's a pic of my compact board and you can see the talkbox and the small preamp there too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...247.1073741826.100000490942422&type=1&theater
In the photo you can see a little 4 channel patch bay that I made. Only using 2 channels. White is effects send (from Axe Fx) to the input of the talkbox and red is output of vocal preamp to effects return (of the Axe Fx).

I hope this was more helpful than the previous poster.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Talkbox rules!!!!

I am somewhat of a newbie,so I understand the basics of what you are saying I just don't know how to do it.I am including my preset,if you could check it out and advise me as to how I add the necessary blocks etc....Thanks

Sorry,I forgot the preset....also,I think I would like the ability to be able to turn it on and off(physically) not just with scenes.let me know if this is possible.Thanks

Attachments

• Preset 1 scenes8 V13.07.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
I have a Banshee (1) on my pedalboard and I pretty much just leave it on all the time and switch it in and out of the loop using Scenes. The plus side to this setup is not having your signal going all the way out to your board and back again like a traditional pedal board. The signal is only going out to the board one-way and only when the talkbox is in the loop.

I've slightly modified your preset and attached below. I scooted the chorus, delay and reverb over to the right and inserted an FX loop block, which is used to send audio to your talkbox. I currently have Scene 2 set to put the talkbox in the loop, so connect Output 2 (left?) from the back of the Axe-Fx II to the input on the Banshee. Be sure to turn up the Output 2 knob on the front panel a little (it shouldn't take much).

This should get you started. Just be sure to think of the Axe-Fx as a mad scientist's lab. Just get in there and tinker around till you get what you want.

Hope this helps! Good luck... and have fun!

Attachments

• Preset 1 scenes8 V13.07 FXL.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have a Banshee too and I just run it in front.You need to have the Banshee at your feet anyway, so that the hose can be near your mouth. Just plug your guitar into the Banshee and then connect the Banshee to the Axe. This is the way I run it and it works wonderfully!

I have a Banshee too and I just run it in front.You need to have the Banshee at your feet anyway, so that the hose can be near your mouth. Just plug your guitar into the Banshee and then connect the Banshee to the Axe. This is the way I run it and it works wonderfully!

Great idea! The Banshee already has a decent preamp with drive control. Sometimes the simplest ideas work best!

Yes it is simple but...

If you use the Talkbox in the effects loop with a mic pre into the effect return you can also run synth drones into the talkbox for eerie throat singing drones etc. Also you can make use of the Vocoder Block which I've made an awesome patch for.

Also I've found the Reverse delay sounds awesome on the Talkbox too.

Like tgorycki said this way you still plug directly into your Axe Fx input. This way you are not running through two long leads before you hit the input (but only when you engage the Fx Loop)

I have a Banshee (1) on my pedalboard and I pretty much just leave it on all the time and switch it in and out of the loop using Scenes. The plus side to this setup is not having your signal going all the way out to your board and back again like a traditional pedal board. The signal is only going out to the board one-way and only when the talkbox is in the loop.

I've slightly modified your preset and attached below. I scooted the chorus, delay and reverb over to the right and inserted an FX loop block, which is used to send audio to your talkbox. I currently have Scene 2 set to put the talkbox in the loop, so connect Output 2 (left?) from the back of the Axe-Fx II to the input on the Banshee. Be sure to turn up the Output 2 knob on the front panel a little (it shouldn't take much).

This should get you started. Just be sure to think of the Axe-Fx as a mad scientist's lab. Just get in there and tinker around till you get what you want.

Hope this helps! Good luck... and have fun!

Thanks for all the Help,I appreciate everyones input.

Yes it is simple but...

If you use the Talkbox in the effects loop with a mic pre into the effect return you can also run synth drones into the talkbox for eerie throat singing drones etc. Also you can make use of the Vocoder Block which I've made an awesome patch for.

Also I've found the Reverse delay sounds awesome on the Talkbox too.

Like tgorycki said this way you still plug directly into your Axe Fx input. This way you are not running through two long leads before you hit the input (but only when you engage the Fx Loop)

I'll have to try some of this stuff. The talkbox is typically treated as a 1 trick pony. This kind of thinking opens up all kinds of new possibilities (aka, wow, how did he do THAT!!!).

I'll have to try some of this stuff. The talkbox is typically treated as a 1 trick pony. This kind of thinking opens up all kinds of new possibilities (aka, wow, how did he do THAT!!!).

Yeah the synth drone thing is great fun. Here's an example of it. I ran the mic back through the Axe Fx through the plex detune delay. Or alternatively you could just send the mic to the desk with some epic delay.

https://soundcloud.com/antconnelly/stillness-unfolding

Back
Top Bottom