How do I run my Axe with an NL212 in MONO?

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey guys-

Tried gigging my axe, matrix gt1000fx and new nl212 last night at a small duo gig. It went okay, except for some reason, Icouldn't get any sound to come out of the cab in mono. My end plan is likely to run to FOH in mono and to my NL212 in stereo. Til I get that all worked out, I'm just wanting to run the NL212 in mono and I'm micing one of the speakers.

What EXACTLY do I need to have set up to run in mono? I'm using a Yek styled patch with output 1 to FOH and splitting to an FX loop to my cab.

In the I/O of my axe, I set both output 1 & 2 to Copy L -> R, even though I was only using Output 2. I'm going:

Axe left out of output 2 -> matrix in (left) ->matrix out (far left output) into the left output of my NL212. NL212 is set to mono and the NL212 is set to parallel (which is mono).

I've had problems with my axe before when if I'm not using output 1, it won't put anything out to output 2. What do I need to set up so output 2 will work without anything plugged into output 1? Also, I assume using the left output on axe, left input of matrix, left output of matrix, and left input of nl212 is cool for mono? i've always used left inputs/outputs for mono in guitar pedals etc

So just curious, and I might be getting confused, but the NL212 wasn't in MONO, how were you hearing things? Was your cab playing exactly what was coming out of FOH?

Also, did you have the Matrix GT1000FX switch set to MONO on the back versus STEREO? I thought you only use OUTPUT 2 if using an FX Loop? I just started using OUTPUT 2, but I have an FXL Block in the chain and it sends a signal to my NL12 (without cab sims) while cab sims go from OUTPUT 1 to my FRFR wedge.

Thanks for the reply- a lot of the questions you asked are in the OP. I have an FX L block in the chain- the signal splits to an FXL and a cab block at the end. I thought that because of that, the signal with no cab emulation would go to output 2.

But yeah, I ran it in stereo and mono at my house, but got to the gig and tried to run in mono and had a problem. So I ran it in stereo at the gig, but only miced a single speaker

This is STILL not working. The Gt1000fx with Axe works fine in stereo, but will not work in mono. I have set everything up according to matrix's videos- NL212 set to mono, using left in. Axe out 2 left into matrix in B. Matrix out B into NL212 mono in.

Axe is switched to be run as Copy L -> R instead of stereo.

The amp works when set to the stereo configuration, but when set to parallel (mono) it doesn't. Maybe I got sold a faulty amp...

Axe left out of output 2 -> matrix in (left) ->matrix out (far left output) into the left output of my NL212. NL212 is set to mono and the NL212 is set to parallel (which is mono).

i believe there are typos in this description.

Input B is on the left side. I'm following the exact configuration matrix lists in their official setup video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9C1GyyKjbo

They run axe out into the left most input of the matrix. Then use the leftmost output of the matrix to send to the cab. That's exactly what I'm doing.

And yeah, there were typos. NL212 input of course, and the GT1000fx is set to parallel (which is the mono mode)

The video at 2:34, they are connecting the Axe left out to the leftmost input of the Matrix, which is labeled Input B. The right is Input A (seems backwards)

I'm 90 percent sure something is wrong with my Matrix GT1000fx, because of this:

Axe output 1 with cab emulation set up, and outputs to my studio monitors in stereo.
Axe output 2 with no cab emulation (just to test it) set up to output to my Q12a. So I AM getting signal to my Q12a with no cab emulation (because it sounds horrible).

Same exact patch, and instead of sending to my Q12a, I send output 2 JUST LIKE matrix shows in their video, and I get zero sound to my cab.

Screw the guy I bought it from! I hate it...ugh

I will also add that the GT1000FX is indeed displaying the light indicating it's "on" and in "mono" operation, it's just not outputting any sound at all.

On that Matrix video they state that "most users will just leave the amp set to Stereo and use just one channel's in/out on the Matrix for mono" - so thats what they were doing - hence they could use whatever in/out they wanted. Input B is indeed the left side one

As Chris has said ..... When you switch to Parallel mode - you must use Input A because it's the only input that can route to both outs

I'm 90 percent sure something is wrong with my Matrix GT1000fx, because of this:

Axe output 1 with cab emulation set up, and outputs to my studio monitors in stereo.
Axe output 2 with no cab emulation (just to test it) set up to output to my Q12a. So I AM getting signal to my Q12a with no cab emulation (because it sounds horrible).

Same exact patch, and instead of sending to my Q12a, I send output 2 JUST LIKE matrix shows in their video, and I get zero sound to my cab.

Screw the guy I bought it from! I hate it...ugh

I will also add that the GT1000FX is indeed displaying the light indicating it's "on" and in "mono" operation, it's just not outputting any sound at all.

If you are wanting to send 2 separate signals to 2 separate things (a Q12 and an NL212) then parallel is the wrong mode. That takes 1 input and sends it to both outputs. You are wanting to take 2 inputs (a cab emulated and non cab emulated) and send them to each respective unit. Stereo mode is what you need. Think of that as 2 spearate mono power amps in one box.

Thanks for the replies guys- I'll have the chance to revisit this conundrum over my lunch break.

As for sending to different things...the Q12a is active and does not need a powrtamp. I want the gt1000fx to run mono for just the cab out of output 2, and I'll send out 1 to the q12a straight from the axe. Or, I could even take a send from the output 2 right of the axe and go to the q12a

So, if I want to run mono, should I use the poweramp in stereo and just run one line? Or should I use it in parallel and use input/output B only? Which is better?

Thanks for the replies guys- I'll have the chance to revisit this conundrum over my lunch break.

As for sending to different things...the Q12a is active and does not need a powrtamp. I want the gt1000fx to run mono for just the cab out of output 2, and I'll send out 1 to the q12a straight from the axe. Or, I could even take a send from the output 2 right of the axe and go to the q12a

So, if I want to run mono, should I use the poweramp in stereo and just run one line? Or should I use it in parallel and use input/output B only? Which is better?

Just run in stereo mode and use one input/output stream. Remember also that the Q12a has a passive mode speakon input on it so you could conceivably run both from the GT (wasn't sure whether you meant a Q12 or Q12a). Turn off the GM50 module first before using it though. Make sure as well that Output 1 Echo is off as well if sending two different things to the outputs. Done it plenty of times myself and wondered why I had no signal!

Back
Top Bottom