How do i record with the ax8?

beau bakman

I'm using Logic pro x as my DAW
and i have a universal audio apollo twin mkii solo as my interface

im very new to recording and im wanting to learn how to record with the AX8

can anyone explain in baby steps on how i should go about this?

Select a desired preset or dial in a tone using the AX8.
Connect the xlr out of your AX8 and connect it to the input of your interface.
Proceed to set up a new track in your DAW with the relevant input selected, ensure you're not clipping the input of the interface and record away.

okay do i plug in the guitar to my interface? or keep it plugged into the ax8?
what input setting do use to record within my DAW?

i have to xlr cables connected in the back of my ax8, so those go into the line 1 and 2 then?

Last edited:
okay do i plug in the guitar to my interface? or keep it plugged into the ax8?
what input setting do use to record within my DAW?

i have to xlr cables connected in the back of my ax8, so those go into the line 1 and 2 then?

Plug into the AX8. Using output 1 connect to your DAW interface input 1 or 2...

like i said im a new to all of this so i know nothing dont get why people always have to be dicks lol

On that note, let me say, Welcome to the Fractal experience.. yes... all tech stuff can be abit overwhelming to start with but this forum will be very helpful. Tons of people with lots of experience.

Along with the manual
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/AX8/AX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

and wiki
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Category:AX8

and dont worry if some people (me included) throws a few rude and crude jokes every now and then.

Welcome and dont forget to Rock n Roll!!!

i don't think anyone was trying to be a dick. but when the goal is to record audio, the question "do i record as audio" can be viewed as a bit silly or confusing, you have to admit. i suppose you might think to make a MIDI track as opposed to audio, but just as people are giving you the benefit of the doubt and helping you, please give others the benefit of the doubt that they aren't trying to be dicks - just commenting in a humorous way on a confusing or naive question. we're people here, not robots or wikis.

The UAD Apollo Twin has combo jacks, so using an XLR will tell the Apollo to use it's MIC pre as if it is a mic-level input - I know you can use the 1/4" unbalanced line out and go into the combo jack that way and it will use the Line preamp.

I'm just not sure how the Line signal volume should be set on the Apollo in relation to individual preset volume, taking into consideration that the AX8's Output 1 level should be at full volume + I/O nominal level set properly to +4dbu. Anyone else have some input? (no pun intended)

like i said im a new to all of this so i know nothing dont get why people always have to be dicks lol

Please understand. No one was being a "dick" Some of the questions could be perceived as kind of funny, that's all. I truly believe that once you get a fair grasp of things you may look back at this thread and smile a little yourself.
This forum is your friend. Has been mine and I have learned everyday for almost 9 years. You will too!

Welcome...It's a great forum and fun ride!
Frank alias Stratman68........

Back
Top Bottom