How do I pair IRs?

Me too, but my chain splits to stereo after the cab in the chain. I tried a stereo chorus before two amps/cabs and split to stereo briefly, but found it wasn't different enough from using it post-cab to warrant using double amps/cabs....
Why would you use double amp and double cab blocks? Try using a single amp, mono out, into something stereo, then into 1 cab block. Set the cab block I input to stereo, then put the same IR into slots 1 and 2 and pan them hard right and left. It limits you to a 2 IR mix per block, but I haven’t ever needed more than 2. I apologize if I’m stating the obvious.

Why would you use double amp and double cab blocks? Try using a single amp, mono out, into something stereo, then into 1 cab block. Set the cab block I input to stereo, then put the same IR into slots 1 and 2 and pan them hard right and left. It limits you to a 2 IR mix per block, but I haven’t ever needed more than 2. I apologize if I’m stating the obvious.
Was trying to simulate the Boss CE1 chorus into a pair of amps, à la Rush, et al in the late '70s - early '80s. There was a small difference in the harmonics and how they meshed when the amps started to distort, but that was about it. Interesting, but not nearly enough bang for the buck for a sound that would only occasionally get used. I have the preset saved on disk, but have since wiped it in favor of other experiments....

Also keep in mind that you can replicate the additional frequencies with the cab low and high cuts, the amp’s output EQ, etc. There are many ways to accomplish the same end tone without having to buy or audition a hundred IRs.

Nothing like getting a monster guitar sound full of low end just to have to dial half of the low end out for the mix. After doing this 50 times, you learn those huge sounds don’t always work. That being said, Friedman amps I believe are intentionally anorexic in the lows for this reason. I can run the bass at 10 on my BE100 and it won’t kill a mix. That amp always seems to need very little to get it sitting right.
I would say that it's the opposite. Friedman amps are quite bass heavy. It all depends on your cab and the ohmage though. The fixed depth circuit is wired funny if I remember correctly.

Do what sounds best to you. I would have been years ahead if I would have learned to trust myself earlier. Plenty of people record using single IRs. Don't concern yourself with "other people."

I would say that it's the opposite. Friedman amps are quite bass heavy. It all depends on your cab and the ohmage though. The fixed depth circuit is wired funny if I remember correctly.
My BE100 thru the Friedman cab is definitely not bass heavy. Anything I can run the bass at 10 and not hate isn’t bass heavy. The Mezzabarba Trinity moves triple the amount of air.

Had a lot of luck with York Audio packs. The Legacy and Factory cabs are great, as well.

There's something about the YA packs. It may be mental, but they all sound good.
From there it's a matter of blending mic combos to achieve desired results; experimenting.

The "Mix" files are usually an excellent one-stop solution.

The "Mix" files are usually an excellent one-stop solution.
In general, those are all I load out of most vendors' packs. It impacts my life negatively to have many hundred of files per maker x cab. Also, I figure the maker used their best judgement picking them, and if I don't trust them, I shouldn't load their packs at all.

I don't really care what mic was used in what position because I am not a recording engineer and those terms don't mean that much to me.
One thing that has helped me a lot is using the STL - Ignite Libra plugin in my DAW. It is essentially CabLab, where you load up to 8 IRs and mix them, but it uses a coordinate-based mixing methodology. I find it really helps me to just use my ears.

My process: scroll through cabs, mark the ones I like, load them into the plugin and move my mouse around while a loop is playing. When I find sounds that I like, I create my own mix IR, which I then load into the Axe.

Sorry to necro a thread, but should I be using an IR mix file with one panned left, one panned right? Would that muddy the mix compared to just using one IR mix file centered? Or does it not matter much in the grand scheme of things?

For example, I love having a Marshall 4x12 panned left and a Bogner panned right. Would having both of those be mix files be bad in terms of recording a file for a mix?

Sorry to necro a thread, but should I be using an IR mix file with one panned left, one panned right? Would that muddy the mix compared to just using one IR mix file centered? Or does it not matter much in the grand scheme of things?

For example, I love having a Marshall 4x12 panned left and a Bogner panned right. Would having both of those be mix files be bad in terms of recording a file for a mix?
Oh it matters a lot, but this is impossible to answer without knowing what is going on in the mix. What mix? Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocals? You can probably get away with a lot more than if you had multiple layers of keyboards or many other instruments when it comes to creating mud in a mix.

The only one who can answer this is YOU. It is your mix, what do your ears tell you? You wont know until you try. There is no proper way or hard fast rule. This part of mixing is art and what sounds best to you. Try it panned hard left and right. Try them both dead center. Now move both of them around the stereo field. What sounds best? Whatever it is, THAT is the right way.

Pick two you like. That's how. You'll have to work any IR and I've found a few, worked with them and now use them for everything just as if I had 2 physical cabs.

My favorites for blend-add-seasonings are:
Factory 1: #1 : Pig 1x4. It just works.
Legacy #62: 4x12 V30: This is very unique IR, for very scooped and sizzly tones.
Legacy 108: Petrucci V30 mix. Another unique IR, quite the opposite of 62, for very middy tone.

Back
Top Bottom