How do I monitor a microphone plugged into Input 2?

dbarrow

I am going on a trip and taking my Axe-FX III as an audio interface for my Windows PC notebook computer. I am using Presonus Studio One and want to monitor a microphone, plugged into Input 2 (XLR in the back of the Fractal) with zero latency. How do I route the microphone, so I can hear it in the heaphones with no delay?

I am going on a trip and taking my Axe-FX III as an audio interface for my Windows PC notebook computer. I am using Presonus Studio One and want to monitor a microphone, plugged into Input 2 (XLR in the back of the Fractal) with zero latency. How do I route the microphone, so I can hear it in the heaphones with no delay?
Route the signal from input 2 to output 1

Morning

First of all you will need a preamp as the Axe does not have one built in.

Once you connect your preamp just set the inputs in the DAW to the ones your preamp is connected too. You don't need to set anything in Axe Edit unless you want to add effects to the vocals on the way in (or when Reamping)

That's about it I think.

Mike

Morning

First of all you will need a preamp as the Axe does not have one built in.

Once you connect your preamp just set the inputs in the DAW to the ones your preamp is connected too. You don't need to set anything in Axe Edit unless you want to add effects to the vocals on the way in (or when Reamping)

That's about it I think.

Mike
Yes, I have a preamp and it works without one, but I can't hear the microphone in the headphones to monitor. How do I monitor the mic input on the headphones (front of Axe-FX III)?

I have a similar applications where I wanted to input a backing track through input 2 and monitor on headphones as I played along. I'm a newbee as well, and only have the FM3, but I didn't see where I could route input 2 to output 1 in setup. I was able to add an Input 2 Block to a preset and route that to the Output 1 Block. There's even a mixing function on the output block to adjust levels. of course, you would have to do this on each individual preset you use.

Next time I go on a trip and need a minimalist setup, I will just bring one extra 2u rack with my RME Fireface UFX. It has lots of I/O and I can use it as my interface and just let the Axe-FX do what it does best. Actually, my Axe-FX rack is 4u and has one extra space for the UFX. Problem solved.

Yes, I have a preamp and it works without one, but I can't hear the microphone in the headphones to monitor. How do I monitor the mic input on the headphones (front of Axe-FX III)?
Because you're not using a preamp.
The signal is too weak.

There is enough gain in the Axe to skip the preamp. I use a compressor and vol block in series. Crank up the gain until you hear the mic.
You'll need a dynamic mic SM57, SM58, etc.

Reactions: Rex
There is enough gain in the Axe to skip the preamp. I use a compressor and vol block in series. Crank up the gain until you hear the mic.
You'll need a dynamic mic SM57, SM58, etc.
This and this. The Axe can handle a mic. But it has to be a dynamic mic. If the mic needs phantom power, you won't hear anything.

The Preamp section of the cab block has good preamp simulations you can use with mic input. Select the last factory cab "Totally Flat" and you can use the preamp section with no cab coloration.

Back
Top Bottom