How do I hook this thing up?!

Billbill

Power User
Good morning guys I have a quick question. Just bought a matrix gt1000fx Power amp for my AxeFx and want to see how an this Orange ppc212 sounds with it. I was wondering how to hook up the power amp to the AxeFx and then the cab to the power amp. Secondly, is it a different type of cable that goes from the axe to the power amp vs poweramp to cab?

Axe Fx output 1 to the input of the Matrix, output of the Matrix to your cabinet.

Instrument or XLR mic cable from the Axe FX to the Matrix, use of a speaker cable here could induce noise to the signal.

Speaker cable only from the Matrix to the speaker cabinet. Use of an instrument cable here could do damage to your amplifier.

You may want to turn off cabinet simulations if you are using a regular guitar cabinet. Check the manual for that. There's no real right/wrong there, just try it both ways and see what you like. Most using that setup have them off. Also, be careful on the volume. The Orange cab is 120 watts, and the Matrix is a lot more. It will be safe at pretty loud volumes, just be mindful it's not a 1000 watt cab.

Manual is here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

Last edited:
So if the Orange 212 is only 120 watts what plug goes where? The manual says it's not a stereo cab so does that mean the matrix needs to be in mono? I run my axe stereo so input signal coming from axe is stereo into matrix, eventually going out to the mono cab. Would running from matrix to a "bridged" set up or mono/mono sort of have the same effect? (Not really using stereo for time based effects moreso for the wider heavy sound)

So if the Orange 212 is only 120 watts what plug goes where? The manual says it's not a stereo cab so does that mean the matrix needs to be in mono? I run my axe stereo so input signal coming from axe is stereo into matrix, eventually going out to the mono cab. Would running from matrix to a "bridged" set up or mono/mono sort of have the same effect? (Not really using stereo for time based effects moreso for the wider heavy sound)
Manual page 10:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-21 um 19.41.22.png

Weird. On their website, it says the GT1000 can drive 16 ohm cabs no problem, yet in the post above it says not to exceed 4 ohms. I wonder if they mean not less than 4 ohms maybe?

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Number of channels- 2
Watts per channel rms @ 4 ohms- 500
Watts per channel rms @ 8 ohms- 325
Watts per channel rms @ 16 ohms- 150
Bridged mode rms @ 8 ohms- 1000
Bridged mode rms @ 16 ohms- 650
Input sensitivity 0.775V
Frequency Response (+/-3db ref 1kHz) 8hz-24kHz
Weight 9lbs

Yeah I just want to know how to not kill the 120w cab. And second, does it matter if I send from AxeFx output 1 unbalanced (stereo) to the input on matrix that's being ran mono (one 120w cab)

If your cab is a 16 ohm cab, each channels output into that load would be rated at 150 watts. That's not too much higher than the cab's rating, but I still wouldn't try turning it up all the way. It will likely be stupid loud WELL below that anyway.

If your cab is a 16 ohm cab, each channels output into that load would be rated at 150 watts. That's not too much higher than the cab's rating, but I still wouldn't try turning it up all the way. It will likely be stupid loud WELL below that anyway.
Which knob should I use to adjust cabs volume then, the output knob on AxeFx or the channel knob on the Matrix? Still tryin to figure that one out

Weird. On their website, it says the GT1000 can drive 16 ohm cabs no problem, yet in the post above it says not to exceed 4 ohms. I wonder if they mean not less than 4 ohms maybe?

Yes sir, that's what it means. You don't want to go below 4 ohms using this amp, as in using two 4-ohm cabs in parallel, which would be a 2 ohm load. If you run the amp mono bridged, you want to stay at 8 ohms or more (meaning don't go below 8). It's low ohm loads that overdrive (in a bad way) amplifier circuits.

Ok so to answer the last two questions in my last two posts...
1) Yeah I just want to know how to not kill the 120w cab. And second, does it matter if I send from AxeFx output 1 unbalanced (stereo) to the input on matrix that's being ran mono (one 120w cab)

2)Which knob should I use to adjust cabs volume then, the output knob on AxeFx or the channel knob on the Matrix? Still tryin to figure that one out

Ok so to answer the last two questions in my last two posts...
1) Yeah I just want to know how to not kill the 120w cab. And second, does it matter if I send from AxeFx output 1 unbalanced (stereo) to the input on matrix that's being ran mono (one 120w cab)

2)Which knob should I use to adjust cabs volume then, the output knob on AxeFx or the channel knob on the Matrix? Still tryin to figure that one out

1. It’s fine to use significantly more power than the cab rating, it gives a better clear amplification. This avoids the kind of distorting wave forms that trash speakers more often than power alone does. And yes, Axe Fx output 1 left to the Matrix.

2. I’d start with the Matrix at noon and the Axe Fx at 0, then start bringing the Axe Fx up. I like to get at least 25% on the Axe Fx volume knob, and don’t normally have it above 50-60%. That’s not a hard rule, just my habit. Just start low and work your way up.

1. It’s fine to use significantly more power than the cab rating, it gives a better clear amplification. This avoids the kind of distorting wave forms that trash speakers more often than power alone does. And yes, Axe Fx output 1 left to the Matrix.

2. I’d start with the Matrix at noon and the Axe Fx at 0, then start bringing the Axe Fx up. I like to get at least 25% on the Axe Fx volume knob, and don’t normally have it above 50-60%. That’s not a hard rule, just my habit. Just start low and work your way up.
Awesome! Can't wait to test these patches on this setup when I get ungrounded. Thx for the help guys I feel better about this I think

Back
Top Bottom