How Do I Go From 18.03 back to 17.4?

tonyi

Inspired
I don't like 18.03 so I loaded 17.4 back into the machine using Fractal Bot. This wiped out most of my presets! They came back when I re-installed 18.03. How to I get back to 17.4 and not lose my presets?

You would have had to follow the highly recommended step of backing up your presets before installing 18.03 in the first place. Probably too late if you missed that step.

You could try the beta of 18.04 which has the ability to select between three different settings for the preamp tubes and that might get you closer to what you are looking for. The Vintage setting is supposed to be the same as v.17 if I remember correctly.

Thanks Chris but I am having a difficult time finding my last backup of 17x--not sure where fractal bot saves them when you perform a backup.

Much appreciated!!

Thanks Chris but I am having a difficult time finding my last backup of 17x--not sure where fractal bot saves them when you perform a backup.

Much appreciated!!

try making a new backup right now, but just don't hit the final "save" button - see where the file path leads.

Much appreciated!!

Fractal Bot will by default retrieve the backup from the directory where it was saved. No need to search for it. Just click the receive button.

I don't like 18.03 so I loaded 17.4 back into the machine using Fractal Bot.

Just curious (without wanting to start yet another 17 vs 18 discussion): what is it that you don't like from 18.03? I am still on 17.02 so I don't know what 18.03 sounds like.
There are three 'problems' with using older FW I think:
1) you don't have the effect updates. I don't care to much for amp updates/new amps but more for effect updates/new effect stuff.
2) you can not load presets from other users that use a newer FW than you. Most of the time they don't load.
3) with each newer update you have to tweak more if you skip some updates. So after skipping some updates your presets sounds can totally change and that means spending valuable time on getting your presets back to life again.

This is something that I struggle with. I like the effect updates but I don't like wasting time on re tweaking my old presets every time. It's too time consuming when you have many presets like I do. But that is inherent to having updates.

Last edited:
If you go back to 17.x and you're using Axe-Edit, you should uninstall the latest version and install v3.1.4
v3.1.5 and newer requires v18.x firmware.

Just curious (without wanting to start yet another 17 vs 18 discussion): what is it that you don't like from 18.03? I am still on 17.02 so I don't know what 18.03 sounds like.

I'm in the same position. I've gone from 17.04 to 18 several times (18.01, .03, .04), and promptly gone back. If you read Danny Danzi's thread, my experience is identical to his, but no amount of resetting parameters did anything for me. 18 seems, on the few patches I use, to be somewhat lower-gain, darker, and (for lack of better words), 'boxy' in the mids.

It's much more pronounced on the amps that have been 'G3d'. I have two patches that are in use probably 95% of the time; one is an HBE and one is a Mark IIC+. The HBE is really noticeable; the difference on the Mark is subtle, but it's not yet a 'G3' amp.

This is not a criticism of the changes; I'm certain I could rebuild the patches and get the sound I want back, but since all amps aren't 'ported' yet, why bother? I'll just have to do it again when they are. I won't be updating until 'G3' is complete.

I don't like 18.03 so I loaded 17.4 back into the machine using Fractal Bot. This wiped out most of my presets! They came back when I re-installed 18.03. How to I get back to 17.4 and not lose my presets?

Make sure if you are using AxeEdit you have the older version of AxeEdit.

Also, reload the pre 18 factory banks. I'm guessing the latest preset banks won't jive well with FW 17.x.

Back
Top Bottom