how do I globally set output 2 to be +4

it seems that I can only set it for 0.0 and +12

You are adjusting the OUT 2 Boost/Pad setting, which is different from the nominal level. The +12 dB Boost/Pad is a noise floor setting.

I’m not in front of my AX8 but I can’t remember if you can adjust the OUT 2 Nominal Level. If you can, if would be under I/O: Levels and the options would be -10 dBv and +4 dBu.

You can definitely adjust OUT 1 and IN 2 Nominal.

i don't see a setting for out2 level apart from the boost/pad setting so I guess you cannot. The issue for me is that I want a different EQ on the FOH and my backline but since the out1 is the only output with XLRs, i end up using out1 for FOH and out2 for the backline. The problem there is that i cannot set a line level +4 for my own backline.

You are adjusting the OUT 2 Boost/Pad setting, which is different from the nominal level. The +12 dB Boost/Pad is a noise floor setting.

I’m not in front of my AX8 but I can’t remember if you can adjust the OUT 2 Nominal Level. If you can, if would be under I/O: Levels and the options would be -10 dBv and +4 dBu.

You can definitely adjust OUT 1 and IN 2 Nominal.

i don't see a setting for out2 level apart from the boost/pad setting so I guess you cannot. The issue for me is that I want a different EQ on the FOH and my backline but since the out1 is the only output with XLRs, i end up using out1 for FOH and out2 for the backline. The problem there is that i cannot set a line level +4 for my own backline.

First page of the I/O menu. Levels.

One thing that might work he is using gain slider in the output 2 global EQ? It gives you a range of +/- 12 dB.

Yeah, i was thinking about that. Is there any issue with headroom if I do that? i.e. will I get exactly the same sound quality out of out2 with the global eq flat but level set to +4?

One thing that might work he is using gain slider in the output 2 global EQ? It gives you a range of +/- 12 dB.

What’s the goal here, to get an increase in level from Out 2, or to make sure it’s nominally matched to your backline’s line input? +4 dBu is probably what it is fixed at if it isn’t adjustable.

Generally speaking, just use the Out 2 knob on the top panel to set the level to your backline.

It's not fixed. It's adjustable to 0.0 and +12. My goal is to get it to line level +4.

What’s the goal here, to get an increase in level from Out 2, or to make sure it’s nominally matched to your backline’s line input? +4 dBu is probably what it is fixed at if it isn’t adjustable.

Generally speaking, just use the Out 2 knob on the top panel to set the level to your backline.

It's not fixed. It's adjustable to 0.0 and +12. My goal is to get it to line level +4.

The “+12 dB Boost/Pad” is just a 12 dB boost before the DA converter and a 12 dB pad after. This is only noise floor setting, and shouldn’t affect your actual output level at all. It also has nothing to do with setting the nominal line level, which denotes where “0 dB VU” should be referenced to; either -10 decibel volts (dBV) for consumer devices or +4 decibels unloaded (dBu) for pro gear. Fractal is pro gear and the outputs are capable of generating +20 dBu of signal before clipping. Out 1 defaults to +4 dBu as the nominal level, so if Out 2 isn’t adjustable, it is logical to assume that +4 dBu is the fixed nominal level. Not a fixed level, the fixed nominal level.

What backline gear are you connecting to, and what is your goal? Optimal SNR? Protecting the gear from damage?

EDIT: I am probably not explaining it very clearly, I can see that. :)

Last edited:
Output 2 is fixed on +4. That +12 is not a pad down. It has to do with boosting digital further when using the Fx loop or 4 cable method.

My buddy just happens to have tested this last night. He set out1 to -10 and I had him test out2 and it was matching what he had when out1 was +4

How did he determine that? The output level knobs would have to be exactly the same. Is there a digital setting on that to ensure they are at the same level?

Output 2 is fixed on +4. That +12 is not a pad down. It has to do with boosting digital further when using the Fx loop or 4 cable method.

My buddy just happens to have tested this last night. He set out1 to -10 and I had him test out2 and it was matching what he had when out1 was +4

How did he determine that? The output level knobs would have to be exactly the same. Is there a digital setting on that to ensure they are at the same level?

You can see the exact values of the output knobs on the VU Meter page - but 100% up is the easiest for a test like this.

To understand how the pad functions as I described to boost level you have to see Cliff’s explanation of how it works in the II. That is how it works on the Ax. What changed on Ax is out1 can not be padded down to -10db

Back
Top Bottom