How do I get this sound/effect? (New to the Axe-Fx II)

MingusDingus

I'm trying to get a tone similar to Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound. On my board I do this with a HOG 2 with the attack set slow

Here's a video of the sound I'm talking about

youtube /watch?v=CA7XTQcriy8

I'm assuming you would do this with the ADSR 'controller' in Axe Edit? How do I add this effect to the chain? I've read the manual but it's still confusing me. I think I need to add it to a volume/pan block right? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Another video in case anybody wants to check it out, he runs his distortion parallel with a looper pedal and I love the subtle clean distortion he gets, great tone

youtube /watch?v=Nw8uuVkXas8

To me it seems like Kurt has a MIDI-capable guitar and two layered sounds:
1. The sound of the neck pichup sent to a mellow clean amp (simulation)
2. The MIDI sound, I guess a flute. If you play just one note at a time then you could even realize that with most of the guitar to MIDI interfaces with the original pickup: Many of them offer a normal guitar input that turn the SINGLE note to a MIDI command. Get a MIDI expander (even the cheapest GM-MIDI-module from the 90s will do) and set it to flute and you're in business. If you want to play several notes together you'd need a dedicated MIDI pickup (like the Roland GK) to get all the notes "translated" into MIDI seperately.

To me it seems like Kurt has a MIDI-capable guitar and two layered sounds:
1. The sound of the neck pichup sent to a mellow clean amp (simulation)
2. The MIDI sound, I guess a flute. If you play just one note at a time then you could even realize that with most of the guitar to MIDI interfaces with the original pickup: Many of them offer a normal guitar input that turn the SINGLE note to a MIDI command. Get a MIDI expander (even the cheapest GM-MIDI-module from the 90s will do) and set it to flute and you're in business. If you want to play several notes together you'd need a dedicated MIDI pickup (like the Roland GK) to get all the notes "translated" into MIDI seperately.

I know kurt uses an electroharmonix HOG 2 to get this sound by lowering the attack slider so that every note is quickly swelled in (the pedal tracks the notes quickly as you can hear when he starts playing faster lines) i just wanna know how you can do that effect via the Axe-FX, then i would take that sound and have it blended with the clean tone in parallel. I’m assuming this is also how Kurt is doing this, because I’m pretty sure he’s not using a MIDI interface or a MIDI pickup

Any idea how i can achieve that HOG 2 sound through the Axe? Thank you for the help!

Low octave:

Use either the Pitch block (Fixed Harmony or Octave Divider mode), or RingMod in tracking mode.

Assign the Envelope Controller to the Mix parameter.

Low octave:

Use either the Pitch block (Fixed Harmony or Octave Divider mode), or RingMod in tracking mode.

Assign the Envelope Controller to the Mix parameter.

I want to have just the regular signal altered, not an octave, but I did what you said and it does work do an extent. I've tried assigning the envelope controller to the mix parameter of a volume/pan block, a pitch block, and a ringmod and none of them track so great. If I start playing faster lines the effect stops working unlike with the HOG 2 which tracks much faster. I've fiddled with all the parameters to try to find the sweet spot but no luck. I've tried all three modes, loop sustain and once.

My other question is is there any way to run my HOG 2 before the Axe Fx while also still being able to have the non HOG effected tone so I can blend the two together, like some sort of effects loop deal, and how would I do this? Sorry if these are total newbie questions, I've been reading the manual to try to find the answer but I haven't figured this out.

Back
Top Bottom