How do I get started with recording and my FM3?

geoangus

Inspired
Haven’t attempted recording anything since owning a Clarion 4-track cassette recorder in the 80’s. But now, with still no gigs on the horizon, I’d like to play around with recording again, mainly playing the covers our band does.

besides the FM3, I have several tube amps, Sennheiser, Shure and Audio Technical mics, Audio Technica ATH50 headphones and an iPad

my first thought is to try to use GarageBand, but I’ve read that reamping isn’t possible with the FM3 and GB. While I’m not sure how crippling that may be, it has me thinking I need a new computer and a DAW. Since I’d like to record vocals too, I’m guessing I need some kind of interface.

so where do I start? I’d prefer to stay in the Apple camp, but I don’t have space to setup an iMac - will a MacBook work, or do I need a Pro? And what would be a good DAW? Just recording typical 2 guitar, bass, drums and vocals rock. I do have a cheap midi capable Yamaha keyboard, but that’s not going to see much use.

Finally, budget maxes out at $1500, but if I don’t have to spend it, that’d be awesome. Thanks.

The FM3 is a solid interface.
I use a MacBook Pro and everything works pretty well. However, to record a band you might want to upgrade to a Mac Pro.
Presonus has great sounding iFaces for great prices.
UA Arrows are very affordable used.
I would keep it as simple as possible to begin. I would consider programming drums-Toontrack or compromising with recording drums and midi info to make editing easier. BUT, if you want to take multiple inputs the Presonus StudioLive gear is by far the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
YouTube is a gold mine for recording info. There's lots of good channels out there that cover the basics of recording, mixing, plugins, DAWs etc. I'm partial to Reaper myself. It's small, fast, stable, very customizable, and updated frequently. Free to try full featured and only $60 for a personal license.

The FM3 is a solid DAW.
I use a MacBook Pro and everything works pretty well. However, to record a band you might want to upgrade to a Mac Pro.
Presonus has great sounding iFaces for great prices.
UA Arrows are very affordable used.
I would keep it as simple as possible to begin. I would consider programming drums-Toontrack or compromising with recording drums and midi info to make editing easier. BUT, if you want to take multiple inputs the Presonus StudioLive gear is by far the best bang for the buck.

The FM3 can be used as an interface but it is not a DAW, that is software.

Haven’t attempted recording anything since owning a Clarion 4-track cassette recorder in the 80’s. But now, with still no gigs on the horizon, I’d like to play around with recording again, mainly playing the covers our band does.

besides the FM3, I have several tube amps, Sennheiser, Shure and Audio Technical mics, Audio Technica ATH50 headphones and an iPad

my first thought is to try to use GarageBand, but I’ve read that reamping isn’t possible with the FM3 and GB. While I’m not sure how crippling that may be, it has me thinking I need a new computer and a DAW. Since I’d like to record vocals too, I’m guessing I need some kind of interface.

so where do I start? I’d prefer to stay in the Apple camp, but I don’t have space to setup an iMac - will a MacBook work, or do I need a Pro? And what would be a good DAW? Just recording typical 2 guitar, bass, drums and vocals rock. I do have a cheap midi capable Yamaha keyboard, but that’s not going to see much use.

Finally, budget maxes out at $1500, but if I don’t have to spend it, that’d be awesome. Thanks.
For your headphones, I would recommend setting an EQ on your DAW Stereo OUT. The headphones are not true flat, so you need to compensate for them (unless you like that bass-y-ness). This is what I use, and it sounds really great. So great, that I use it in iTunes as well :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 8.28.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 8.28.57 AM.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 21
Yeah FM3 has all your guitar tones covered, via FM3 USB/Interface but if you sing then get a simple interface and switch back and forth from Fm3 IF to Whatever IF you buy, Mine works really good in Logic Pro and easy to use

With all that other gear (amps and mic's), I would recomend a mixer. Will certainly blow your budget, but will save you a lot of cable pulling in the home studio. I can tell you my set-up, and maybe that will spark a direction for you:

I run a couple of guitars into some Radial swtiches that service various pedals, tube amps, mic's and my FM3/FC6. Everything eventually finds its way to my Qu-sb mixer. Then everything heads back out again to various FRFR's and monitors. Some amps also run directly to some conventional cabs.

Now, for the part that may inrested you.... the mixer is connected via USB to a desktop PC. From there, I run BIAB for backing tracks and Mixcraft (DAW) for recording. The USB connection flows both directions, so my tracks play out over my /mixer/monitors, or headphones, if I prefer. I love the workflow of this setup and it saves me a ton of time that can be sent playing and recording instead of setting up.

Also, one thing that helped me a lot when I started down this path was to rack mount as much equipment as possible. A 16 to 24U rack is such a spacer in a home studio, especially if you are challenged for space like me. I even moved some of my home-built amps to rack units. The tubes look awesome in there!

Probably more than you wanted, but there it is!

Back
Top Bottom