How do I get more pick attack?

I've tried tweaking a lot of parameters but so far no luck... Anyone has suggestions on how to get more pick attack? Probably not just pick attack, but transients in general. For instance, with my Triaxis even when playing legatto I get note separation/definition almost like I'm picking every note, and my AX8 doesn't do that no matter what I try. I'm guessing pick and fret noise help produce "thicker" tone, even on higher notes, and that's something I'm missing as well.

What are your gain levels like? Over doing it on the gain is a quick way to kill your dynamics and mush everything out. Do you have the same problem with the factory presets?

So your triaxis rig was FRFR too? And I suppose you used the same cab sim? If so, you should post a record of your triaxis without the cab sim, and specify your triaxis settings, it will be easier to understand if the difference comes from the amp or not. Also, is there a poweramp simulator after the triaxis?

What are your gain levels like? Over doing it on the gain is a quick way to kill your dynamics and mush everything out. Do you have the same problem with the factory presets?
TS808 Tone 5.5, Gain 0, Volume 8
Cali Leggy Gain 6.5, Master 4.1

So your triaxis rig was FRFR too? And I suppose you used the same cab sim? If so, you should post a record of your triaxis without the cab sim, and specify your triaxis settings, it will be easier to understand if the difference comes from the amp or not. Also, is there a poweramp simulator after the triaxis?
Sorry, forgot to mention what both units are connected to, edited the post above with this information.

Master volume on the amp model possibly set too high?
Is 4.1 too high for the Cali Leggy? It doesn't sound like it is, dynamics aren't bad, only pick attack seems lacking no matter what I try, even at lower master and input gain settings.

Last edited:
TS808 Tone 5.5, Gain 8

Sorry, forgot to mention what both units are connected to, edited the post above with this information.

Is 4.1 too high for the Cali Leggy? It doesn't sound like it is, dynamics aren't bad, only pick attack seems lacking no matter what I try, even at lower master and input gain settings.
IIRC there's a pick attack parameter in the amp block, have you tried it?
Also, if you have speaker comp active, try to reduce it and/or increase time constant.

IIRC there's a pick attack parameter in the amp block, have you tried it?
Also, if you have speaker comp active, try to reduce it and/or increase time constant.
That parameter isn't availavai in the AX8, AxeFx only. I'll try the speaker comp settsetti, thankst

Gain at 8 for a screamer is super high imo. Try setting the gain to 0 or maybe 1 and put the level up around 10 instead.
Sorry, my mistake, gain is 0 and volume is 8

Hmmm I dunno. I would try plugging the ax8 into the Laney and turning off cab sims, see if you get results you're expecting (but keeping in mind the tone will probably be quite a bit different). Could be a thing with adjusting to the different feel of an frfr setup. I only use a traditional cab so I'm not sure.

Other than that, I've personally not found many Mesa sounds that I've enjoyed, the ones I do use some are the Mark models. Try out the angle severe 1 & 2, see if they do any better for you. I find those amps really well defined. I run the master around 3, Input drive around 6-8 and overdrive 6-8. 6/2/7 for bmt and 5ish on presence and depth.

I'm not saying that the Mesa models aren't good, they just aren't my flavor. I've been really hard pressed to find a high gain that I like more than the engl Savage models. Fas modern 3 and the 5153 100w blue are the biggest contenders right now but I haven't fully tried them out yet.

I've been really hard pressed to find a high gain that I like more than the engl Savage models. Fas modern 3 and the 5153 100w blue are the biggest contenders right now but I haven't fully tried them out yet.

Close to the Savage and 5153 blue, there's the VH4 silver plate, BE-100 with sat switch on, and Tucana.

TS808 Tone 5.5, Gain 0, Volume 8

Seems like a reasonable amount of gain. I haven't used the Leggy model much. I think the Legato 100 model is supposed to be more accurate to the Carvin Legacy amps. Have you tried the TriAxis models (USA PRE)? They are quite good too.

Hmmm I dunno. I would try plugging the ax8 into the Laney and turning off cab sims, see if you get results you're expecting (but keeping in mind the tone will probably be quite a bit different). Could be a thing with adjusting to the different feel of an frfr setup. I only use a traditional cab so I'm not sure.

I really want the AX8 to work with the DXR10 because it's the setup I use for gigging (with a Kemper for a long time before getting the AX8), I really don't want to go back to taking the Laney to gigs because it weights like a freakin ton.

Other than that, I've personally not found many Mesa sounds that I've enjoyed, the ones I do use some are the Mark models. Try out the angle severe 1 & 2, see if they do any better for you. I find those amps really well defined. I run the master around 3, Input drive around 6-8 and overdrive 6-8. 6/2/7 for bmt and 5ish on presence and depth.

Will give those a try, thanks for the tip.

Seems like a reasonable amount of gain. I haven't used the Leggy model much. I think the Legato 100 model is supposed to be more accurate to the Carvin Legacy amps. Have you tried the TriAxis models (USA PRE)? They are quite good too.

They're in my todo list, so many amps, so little time :p

Anyway, here are some my findings: went to the dynamics page in the amp block and raised "preamp dynamics" to 5, because, well... I like preamp dynamics, so might as well get me some more of that. Anothar "aha" moment was setting presence to the default 5 and turning down bright instead. According to Cliff that control mimics the presence circuit in the Triaxis, and to my ears it keeps more pick attack than the presence control even when dialed down. Also turned the input gain attenuation back to 6 from 12, so now the red input LED lights up occasionally.

I think I'm happy with the results Im getting now, only a few details missing like getting a bit more dynamics and adjusting lows and low mids to my liking.

Oh yea I meant plugging into the Laney temporarily just to see if it solves the problem... Then you would know you're busy battling the feel of different amplification setups more than you are the actual amp modeling.

Glad it's working out though, I've never messed with it bright switch or knob on any models... Probably should try that out.

Back
Top Bottom