How do I find the "sweet spot" during IR capture?

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
OK, so i'll be going to a friend's house this weekend, who has a f**k tonne of amps and cabs (His dad owns a music shop and have access to loads). I'm going to beg him to let me capture some IR's when I go over, but I have no idea how to find the sweet spot or wether the particular speaker that i'm capturing is any good or not.

Help?

Ah, I won't have access to my iMac or any DAW this weekend. I was going to capture them and dump them to cab blocks.

You could use the Analyzer App From DSP Mobile, if you have an iPad or an iPhone....Works great and is affordable, and with a Camera Connection Kit You can connect it to most class compliant USB Interfaces...

Get someone to move the mic in front of the speaker. Listen in another room and scream when it sounds perfect. If I need to position the mic without time for trials, usually couple inches from the center and inch from the speaker grille will work.

You could use the Analyzer App From DSP Mobile, if you have an iPad or an iPhone....Works great and is affordable, and with a Camera Connection Kit You can connect it to most class compliant USB Interfaces...

OK, I see the camera kit. How do I connect it all up? Oh shit, I've just realised, I'll have no mac with me. How the fuck am I going to record the mic's? Can't i send the mic XLR back into the axe, creating a kind of loop? O rod i have to record to an external source?

Hey

No problem bro ,nice to hear that you will shoot some amazing IR:s. And PS4 gameplay sounds nice too bro ,let me know when you have little bit extra time mate :encouragement:

Thanks Vellu, I'll check it out this week. We'll have to hit the PS4 this week, before my schedule goes bat shit crazy again. :)

Back
Top Bottom