How do I check if my Axe-Fx 2 expansion port is working?

Darki

I bought a used mfc, and when I connect it via expansion it doesn't work... I'd like to know if there's any way to know if the problem is in the axe fx or the mfc, since I've tried all software related solutions and it still didn't work.
Thanks in advance!

You would need to provide some details before anyone could help you. There are 3 ways to connect an MFC depending upon which versions of the of the Axe and MFC you have.

I have the mfc mark I, and axe fx II mark II, the mfc connects smoothly to the axe via midi, but through expansion it doesn't even power

So you’re trying to connect it via EtherCon? Did you change the MFC port to EtherCon in the midi settings tab on the IO menu in the Axe?

Yes, I just want to know if there's any way to know if the problem is in mfc's hardware or the axe's

Yes, I just want to know if there's any way to know if the problem is in mfc's hardware or the axe's
Not really anyway to to determine this aside from trying different things. Assuming both the Axe-Fx and the MFC are set to use the EtherCon port, try a very, very short CAT5 cable.

Check the IO settings on your Axe Fx. Does it work with a 5 pin midi cable and external 9v power supply?

While your MFC is connected to the power supply did you make sure you changed the MFC to use the Expansion Port?
From the manual:

1577479400629.jpeg

Attachments

• 1577479375879.jpeg
    1577479375879.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 0
While your MFC is connected to the power supply did you make sure you changed the MFC to use the Expansion Port?
From the manual:

3.2 Selecting a Port
The MFC-101 sends and receives data only on one port type at a time. As of MFC firmware 3.0, the default is Ether – the AXE-FX port, where an EtherNet or EtherCON cable can be connected.
1. Press EDIT footswitch to enter EDIT MODE.
2. Press MIDI footswitch for the MIDI menu to arrive at the USE PORT screen:
3. Press INCR or DECR to select “MIDI”, “EXPANSION”, (to use EtherNet/EtherCON) or “FASLINK”. Note that “FASLINK” requires a FASLINK compatible adapter or device such as the XA-2 Axe-Fx II Adapter. Do not connect to XLR audio jacks or damage could occur.
4. Press EXIT to return to PERFORMANCE MODE.
The OP states that it doesn't power on with the expansion port. Regardless of the settings it should power on.

Reactions: Ole
Check your manual. Do not hook up the MFC power supply and an EtherCON cable at the same time. Also make sure your Ethernet cable is a straight through.

1577482261262.png

Any bent or broken pins in the AxeFx or MFC ethernet sockets?

If a live USB cable had ever been accidentally put into the ethernet/expansion port on the back of the AxeFX at some time in it's past it could have blown some components. You could try lifting the lid on the AxeFX and inspect the resistors etc around the ethernet port to see if any are charred.

Reactions: Ole
Any bent or broken pins in the AxeFx or MFC ethernet sockets?

If a live USB cable had ever been accidentally put into the ethernet/expansion port on the back of the AxeFX at some time in it's past it could have blown some components. You could try lifting the lid on the AxeFX and inspect the resistors etc around the ethernet port to see if any are charred.

This.

The Mfc port is quite bent, not the pins, the port itself is quite loose, is it safe to lift the axe lid? how can I do it without damage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom