How do I add a Chorus Pedal, TC Nova Delay & TC Hall Of Fame 2 Reverb Pedal Into my setup?

Royalty

I want to insert 3 pedals into my FM3. Carl Martin Chorus, TC Nova Delay & TC Hall of fame 2 Reverb in stereo.
Can some of you tell me exactly how to do this. I think it the Send 1 and both Returns for stereo. But I don't know what to do on the amp patch in the edit screen, or what block to use. I am using a Shiver Clean sound that I want to use these pedals for lush Ballads kind of like on Celine Dion ballads. I am guessing these pedals need to be hooked together and I am pretty sure I know how to plug the 3 into FM3 but like I said I don't know what I need to do on the FM3 edit to start hearing them.

Any help would be appreciated . Thanks!!!

Is there a reason you don't just use the effects already in the FM3?

You can add them with Output 2 / Input 2 (Send/Return have a different use). Make sure to turn up Output knob on the front.

This is a screenshot from a Leonn Todd video... Mixer block is somewhat optional. On the FM3 you would have to use blocks Output 2 and in Input 2 since that's all we got. And yes, you have the connections on the back correct and as unix-guy says turn up the output 2Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.00.01 PM.png

Is there a reason you don't just use the effects already in the FM3?

You can add them with Output 2 / Input 2 (Send/Return have a different use). Make sure to turn up Output knob on the front.
I love the effects in FM3. I just want to have the option of using these 3 pedals together for clean sounds in Pop Ballads if I want them quickly.

I am also planning on purchasing the FM3 and just bought 3 new Mesa Boogie pedals this summer I would want to assimilate into it....The cleo, dynaplex, and goldmine. Are these available as .WAVs somehwere already or would I actually have to invest in a AXE fx 3 to get them in it?

I am also planning on purchasing the FM3 and just bought 3 new Mesa Boogie pedals this summer I would want to assimilate into it....The cleo, dynaplex, and goldmine. Are these available as .WAVs somehwere already or would I actually have to invest in a AXE fx 3 to get them in it?
WAV files have nothing to do with Axe Fx or FM3.

Effects and Amps have models inside the unit.

None of those effects is modeled but depending on what they do you may not care as you may be able to create similar results using what's already there.

WAV files have nothing to do with Axe Fx or FM3.

Effects and Amps have models inside the unit.

None of those effects is modeled but depending on what they do you may not care as you may be able to create similar results using what's already there.

So what do you call them? IRs? Pedal IR's? I know they have some effects in the unit but my point is not to have to buy more pedals or bring the ones I own. I was hoping to get into the Axe FX IR capture, but the FM3 doesnt capture, it can only import IR's from conversions. So that's what I am asking here. I want to add 3 pedals worth the same amount of money as the FM3. Does that make sense now why I ask? The Fractal stuff has some of the classics but theres so much more out there it doesnt have I am checking first. And I thought I had understood it correctly as other manufactured IR's are called .wav's because an IR is a trademarked term. You say no. So what I get from your response is theres no such thing as a term called IR in the Fractal world, and I only get whats inside the FM3?

Last edited:
So what do you call them? IRs? Pedal IR's? I know they have some effects in the unit but my point is not to have to buy more pedals or bring the ones I own. I was hoping to get into the Axe FX IR capture, but the FM3 doesnt capture, it can only import IR's from conversions. So that's what I am asking here. I want to add 3 pedals worth the same amount of money as the FM3. Does that make sense now why I ask? The Fractal stuff has some of the classics but theres so much more out there it doesnt have I am checking first. And I thought I had understood it correctly as other manufactured IR's are called .wav's because an IR is a trademarked term. You say no. So what I get from your response is theres no such thing as a term called IR in the Fractal world, and I only get whats inside the FM3?
You can’t model an overdrive pedal with an IR — or a WAV, or any kind of time capture. Overdrives are nonlinear devices, and IRS/WAVs can’t fo nonlinear.

You can’t model an overdrive pedal with an IR — or a WAV, or any kind of time capture. Overdrives are nonlinear devices, and IRS/WAVs can’t fo nonlinear.
Great! Thanks for the info. I got the idea from a Chops IR page selling stuff for Fractal and they are including pedals and microphones. I guess I was hoping to get what I was looking for. Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the info. I got the idea from a Chops IR page selling stuff for Fractal and they are including pedals and microphones. I guess I was hoping to get what I was looking for. Thanks!
I don’t know what Chops IRS are, but if someone is trying to sell you IRs of distortion pedals, think twice before spending your money. It is possible to capture an IR of a microphone, though.

You might find that one of the 56 Drive types in the FM3 is pretty darn close to the pedals you have. Or you might wind up using your pedals along with your FM3. Either way is valid.

Last edited:

Ideally, what you're looking for is a "model" of those pedals, or in Axe FX jargon a "type" on the block that matches it.

Other things that can be done are finding existing model types that are close, and adjusting the setting and advanced parameters to get them closer. i.e., if an amp is based on a Marshall JMP but with an input low cut and saturation mod, you can adjust the input EQ and enable the Sat switch and get it closer. Overdrives can also have an additional EQ before or after right in the block, and some advanced params in terms of number and types of clipping components.

Some people will also basically make a tone match, which is an IR or EQ transform which adjusted the frequency response to match another thing. This isn't a perfect model, it's just an EQ profile to get the sound closer, but it can go a long way to matching the final sound after adjusting other parameters to better match the feel and behaviour.

I assume that's what the Chops IRs probably are, a tone match IR to take a specific block and add some final EQ to make it closer to another pedal or amp.

Also, Impulse Response or IR isn't a trademarked term, but the files are often .wav files so I'm sure some people just call them one or the there. .Wav is just the file type, an Impulse Response is just a specific type of data captured in the wave file.

I'd strongly recommend reading through the manuals a couple times, especially the FM3 manual and the blocks manual. All this is covered very well. Also Fractal's Wiki covers this very well too.

The majority of pedals out there are merely spins on a classic pedal, and Fractal has those classic pedals modeled. The Fractal firmware is very flexible and capable of very deep editing to tweak more settings than the pedals themselves allow using their knobs and switches.

I have a lot of classic pedals including TC's SCF, an original CryBaby, Strymon and Wampler pedals, all purchased new years ago, and have found no need to use any of them with my FM3 because I get the sounds I need easily with minor tweaks. Fractal's scenes and channels are extremely flexible and make it easy to jump from one pedal sound to another; I have my FC6 and FC12 set so many of my pedal blocks can cycle through four different pedal settings equalling four different vendor's pedals or four different settings of a particular pedal, or combinations of those in addition to using the scenes.

Modelers are complex devices and you'll do well to dig in to the manuals rather than rely on others to explain it in a forum; Knowing where the answers are in the manual lets you solve the problem right away rather than wait for someone to try to help, you'll learn to think in terms of the device and come up to speed on the vocabulary. If, after trying several times to solve it via the manuals and wiki, then ask as you'll have a better idea how to phrase the question succinctly.

Last edited:
Heres a screenshot of the website. Some of you might have seen these as they are popular. Since they are listing pedals and I just spent $900 on 3 new pedals and was hoping to capture their audio properties myself. Being that I thought this had something to do with the Axe FX3's IR capture I am trying to figure out if I wanted to purchase an FM3 or dump another grand on the Axe FX. I could sell these pedals online and use that money toward the Axe. OR keep the pedals and have what I didnt want, a Fractal and pedals.... Pretty much wanted one or the other before it starts looking like 1998 in here again with 3 pedal boards....
And while you might get close to a TS8 tube screamer the Mesa Boogie grid slammer is sonically different so I dont know why the desire to use branded clones is not asked for more. This is why I want more stuff. Guitar players are infamous for this and I am no exception.
So I am getting the feeling that these pedals were used in the IR capture of the cabinets they list at the top. So they can be used as a pedal even though it would technically be another cabinet IR sample. Am I correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-07 211327.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-07 211327.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 21
And while you might get close to a TS8 tube screamer the Mesa Boogie grid slammer is sonically different so I dont know why the desire to use branded clones is not asked for more. This is why I want more stuff. Guitar players are infamous for this and I am no exception.
I'm not sure what "branded clone" is...

Yes, everyone wants everything... But adding amps and pedals is not trivial.

It's not something anyone but Fractal can do.

The screenshot you posted is some "matched" signal chain.

That means that they created some analog signal and then created a similar sounding chain in the Axe Fx (or FM3). They don't specifically say anything about ToneMatch.

Just because they say they have created this "matched" sound doesn't really mean much.

They have not added anything, they've simply used what's in the box and their ears to create presets... The same as anyone else.

Of the ODs they list, the Fractal devices have the TS9 and the Suhr Riot. Anything else they listed was "matched" by using one of the other Drive types and adjusting for the same sound.

I'm not sure what "branded clone" is...
A Mesa Boogie Grid Slammer pedal is a branded clone of an Ibanez tube screamer. Why would Mesa make the same pedal? Its because while the grid slammer has the same throttling properties the ts8 does, it has a mesa tone to it. Simply thats why players would want this. Not everyone wants a ts8 since everyone uses it, but still appreciate the tone and drive throttling feature of it for lead tones.

A Mesa Boogie Grid Slammer pedal is a branded clone of an Ibanez tube screamer. Why would Mesa make the same pedal? Its because while the grid slammer has the same throttling properties the ts8 does, it has a mesa tone to it. Simply thats why players would want this. Not everyone wants a ts8 since everyone uses it, but still appreciate the tone and drive throttling feature of it for lead tones.
Most pedals are based on another pedal. The Tube Screamer is one that many are based on.

The pedals in the Axe Fx and FM3 are highly adjustable beyond what is possible on the actual pedal without mods.

The bottom line is that you can wish for Pedal X or Amp Y to be added and it may, but most likely you can get the same results by simply using something already there and adjusting.

Roger that! I appreciate the chat guys this really cleared my thoughts up. I will purchase the FM3 and then just add a pedal if I want something it doesnt have.

Heres a screenshot of the website. Some of you might have seen these as they are popular. Since they are listing pedals and I just spent $900 on 3 new pedals and was hoping to capture their audio properties myself. Being that I thought this had something to do with the Axe FX3's IR capture I am trying to figure out if I wanted to purchase an FM3 or dump another grand on the Axe FX. I could sell these pedals online and use that money toward the Axe. OR keep the pedals and have what I didnt want, a Fractal and pedals.... Pretty much wanted one or the other before it starts looking like 1998 in here again with 3 pedal boards....
So I am getting the feeling that these pedals were used in the IR capture of the cabinets they list at the top. So they can be used as a pedal even though it would technically be another cabinet IR sample. Am I correct?
Okay, those are tone-matched presets. The stomp-box presets still have a Drive block in them, but they’ve been tone-matched against the real pedal. That applies additional EQ to make it sound more like the pedal that’s being matched. The question that pops into my head is “What knob settings did they choose when they captured the IR?” An overdrive stomp has hundreds of different tones in it depending on how you set those knobs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom