How do FRFR wedge users handle limited FOH PA situation?

adew

Inspired
Hi,

New member here! :D

I'm currently making plans to switch to an Axe-FX and FRFR wedge setup (probably the RCF), from traditional amps/cabs.

Stages can be rather varied where I am and, from time to time, I will be playing venues which only supply a vocal PA (perhaps with a mic for the bass drum), hence the "FOH" sound is 100% backline + the vocal PA. I'd love to hear how those of you using a FRFR wedge, like the RCF, who also gig in this type of situation, manage. Do you simply place the wedge on a stand behind you, ie so that it faces the FOH, ie like a traditional backline amp/cab?

(In case this is the most ridiculous question you've seen - I'm a newb! Be gentle. :D Thanks.)

Thanks for any advice!

PS: For info, we're a 4 piece (heavy-ish) rock outfit (vox, guitar, bass, drums), with a moderately loud drummer.

Stand the wedge up and use it as a backline.
Ive done this many times. If you have two wedges, you can face it towards you or your band mates.

Ive done this many times. If you have two wedges, you can face it towards you or your band mates.
Great! Thanks for the info. Yes, I can see that two wedges would be better in this case.

I do what Funeral does. I'll also bring a stand and get it up in the air if I have the room to fit it.

Scott, quonsar,

Thanks for your replies. Great! Looks like I'm worrying about nothing. Will need to get a stand though. :D

I am just switching to this mode. First practice like this was last week. First gig like it is tomorrow night. MORE than loud enough (10SMA). I threw it on a stand so I dont get bashed in bass frequencies-I usually get stuck on the same side as him and with a normal cab can get a little lost. Not a problem with a stand at the back .

I'm just curious. Do you make any tonal adjustments, on the monitor or otherwise, when you put the wedge up on a stand? I assume that moving off the floor will impact the bass to some extent.

Terry.

I'm also going FRFR just like you mate, and I play in a very loud-band, I saw some mates of a popular band here doing what Funeral said, sometimes venues can have their sound monitor and you can place your FRFR behind you, if you have 2 you can even put one behind you and another for the drummer, it helps a lot and you still have 2 monitors of the house with everyone (assuming vocals, drums and guitars are going there). I think the main worry its the sound in front of the stage since sometimes P.A can't handle the first 10m +/-, I saw Misha talking about some kind of speakers that dream theater were using to put in front of the stage to solve that problem, do you guys know something? soz for my bad english.

...sometimes P.A can't handle the first 10m +/-, I saw Misha talking about some kind of speakers that dream theater were using to put in front of the stage to solve that problem...
Well DT has a bigger budget then most of us here put together. :)

(...)I saw Misha talking about some kind of speakers that dream theater were using to put in front of the stage to solve that problem, do you guys know something? soz for my bad english.
I think you're talking about the Fischer Amp Buttkicker. Their only purpose is to "kick butts", in other words, handle the low frequencies. They are not subwoofers, they only vibrate a lot so you can "feel" your instrument. But this has absolutely nothing to do with FRFR.

@adew: Nice to see another Swiss in this forum.

Ahhh I didn't know! So many things on music industry damn LOL thanks mate!

I think you're talking about the Fischer Amp Buttkicker. Their only purpose is to "kick butts", in other words, handle the low frequencies. They are not subwoofers, they only vibrate a lot so you can "feel" your instrument. But this has absolutely nothing to do with FRFR.

@adew: Nice to see another Swiss in this forum.

Example

Hi,

New member here! :D

I'm currently making plans to switch to an Axe-FX and FRFR wedge setup (probably the RCF), from traditional amps/cabs.

Stages can be rather varied where I am and, from time to time, I will be playing venues which only supply a vocal PA (perhaps with a mic for the bass drum), hence the "FOH" sound is 100% backline + the vocal PA. I'd love to hear how those of you using a FRFR wedge, like the RCF, who also gig in this type of situation, manage. Do you simply place the wedge on a stand behind you, ie so that it faces the FOH, ie like a traditional backline amp/cab?

(In case this is the most ridiculous question you've seen - I'm a newb! Be gentle. :D Thanks.)

Thanks for any advice!

PS: For info, we're a 4 piece (heavy-ish) rock outfit (vox, guitar, bass, drums), with a moderately loud drummer.

Attachments

• 2012-07-01_16-25-25_808.jpg
    2012-07-01_16-25-25_808.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom