How different is the Echoplex preamp from EP Booster, Tape Dist in drive block, & jsantiago's IR?

Philip34

Experienced
1. Tape Dist in the Drive Block
2. jsantiago's IR of the Echoplex
3. Xotic EP Booster
4. The real Echoplex preamp

How different are these from each other?

Tape Dist = "It's just a generic tape distortion simulator. I used an old Ampex EQ curve basically."

jsantiago's IR = I can't speak to that, no idea. Someone made an IR of a real unit.

Xotic BB = A model of Cliff's BB, should be just like the real thing.

An Echoplex = The real thing.

Note that the Xotic EP actually models the Echoplex, and we don't have that in the Axe. The BB models the old "Bluesbreaker" sound.

1. Tape Dist is based on the clipping of an overdriven reel-to-reel Ampex tape deck.

2. IR's are linear EQ curves. They will not recreate the compression or clipping characteristics of a preamp.

3. The Exotic EP booster is supposed to be the preamp circuit of the EP-3 in pedal format so I would presume it's pretty close to that version. Never tried one myself, but online demos sound pretty good. It's a subtle effect.

4. Depends on the model. Early Echoplex units (EP-1 and EP-2) were tube driven. Later models (EP-3 and EP-4) were solid state and had a different sound.

jsantiago's IR = I can't speak to that, no idea. Someone made an IR of a real unit.

Quite some time ago ..., James Santiago did a tone match of an original Echoplex used as a pre-amp the way that Eddie used to use it during the VH I & VH II era ..., then he converted it from a tone match to a CAB IR ....

I still use it today, it's a really GREAT option for just thickening up your tone .... In fact, using it in front of a "dimed" Plexi it's almost TOO much thickening !

Quite some time ago ..., James Santiago did a tone match of an original Echoplex used as a pre-amp the way that Eddie used to use it during the VH I & VH II era ..., then he converted it from a tone match to a CAB IR ....

I still use it today, it's a really GREAT option for just thickening up your tone .... In fact, using it in front of a "dimed" Plexi it's almost TOO much thickening !
Sounds great! Only catch is that an IR isn't dynamic like an Echoplex would be.

Here's what Peter Clinch from ClinchFX, who makes the much-lauded ClinchFX EP-Pre, has to say about the EP preamp circuit:

I took a look at the schematic, and couldn’t really see, at a glance, how such a simple circuit could affect tone, however I was curious and built my version of the preamp. To my surprise, it fattened my tone and sounded great. At this point, I began to seriously analyze the behavior of the circuit, and found that, apart from a small amount of top and bottom cut, the circuit had a non-linear phase response. I believe that this phase response is the secret of the magic tone.

So I guess it's all about the non-linear phase response. Using IRs or the Tape Distortion will probably get you close, but they would only affect the top and bottom frequency responses.

I have an EP Booster (v2: Gain control instead of Bass Boost).
It's a nice "always on" FET-driven pedal, for sure.

But IMHO it offers nothing that can't be reproduced with one of the existing drive models (FET Boost, FET preamp, Micro Boost, Tape Dist ....)

Also, because it provides a 3dB gain boost at its minimum position (default), I suspect that many players mistake the volume bump for better tone.

Last edited:
I have an EP Booster (v2: Gain control instead of Bass Boost).
It's a nice "always on" FET-driven pedal, for sure.

But IMHO it offers nothing that can't be reproduced with one of the existing drive models (FET Boost, FET preamp, Micro Boost, Tape Dist ....)

Also, because it provides a 3dB gain boost at its minimum position (default), I suspect that many players mistake the volume bump for better tone.

I think I've read about it a couple of times on thegearpage and the consensus was that only the ClinchFX EP Pre and the Badgerplex are faithful recreations of the Echoplex Preamp. The Xotic EP Booster is more of a classic booster pedal than an Echoplex Preamp recreation.

I've never tried the ClinchFX EP Pre or the Badgerplex, though, so I might be wrong.

I don't know about that. The EP Booster is very populair, regardless.

Love the EP Booster. I have 2, one in my traditional amp rig (Silverface Deluxe Reverb) and one in my acoustic rig. I remember seeing a PEQ sysex posted here or on the Axechange some time ago but can't seem to find the preset (search function used).

A lot of local players I now use the EP Booster.. they're great. Keep an eye out for Catalinbread's new Belle Epoch Pre Deluxe (naming might be off a hair) they've been working on.. I think it will reset the bar for actual pedals of this type.

I gotta say that the EP is addicting. Putting the pedal between guitar and Axe-Fx or AX8 is simple and saves a Drive block.

The Xotic ep booster is not an echoplex, it is a boost pedal with a bit of an eq curve. If you like it great! The closest to the real thing is one of the ClinchFx iterations.

Cheers
Ant

Back
Top Bottom