How did all the water get on planet earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately lots of narratives "taught" in school are parroting uncritical ideas or otherwise fit the dominant cultural self-conception and whitewashing of certain inconvenient histories.

But every culture/society does this to a greater or lesser degrees because they're always the good guys, right?
I'd hazard to say that many records of history are skewed to reflect the feelings of the man or woman who wrote the book. Not so with the Bible. There you can see both good examples, bad examples, triumph, tragedy, history supported by archeology.

Most cultures/societies have specific beliefs based on what advances mankind has produced through the years. Not the same with the Bible, though it does speak about why we should consider our thoughts or actions relative to what the Bible says.

Whether that makes us good or bad is not for me to judge. We often view mankind as having a propensity for doing bad things. "Always" is an infinitive, not something one can say occurs each time.

Last edited:
The belief in some form of creation by a "supreme being" is not religion. It's one of the theories offered as an explanation of the origins of the universe that has "evidence" of its own. Any theory requires a person to believe in something they cannot prove beyond a shadow of doubt.

If you have empirical, science based evidence of the existence of a supreme being that put Earth's water here, I'd be happy to hear it. The Bible (inarguably a Jewish and Christian religious text) is not such evidence and has no place on this forum. Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti religion, spirituality, or faith by any stretch, but the forum rules exist for good reason. There are plenty of other places for such totally valid discussions.

Yes. Especially those sort of tan translucent Ultex picks. I have terrible beige carpet in my cave and those things hit the floor and vanish like a fart in the wind.
Yes!!! Those damned Ultex picks disappear on everything they land on, regardless of color. I wish they sucked, so I'd stop using them.

Let's stick to empirical, science based theory and evidence here folks. Bible debates belong on another forum per the rules.
Agreed. Forum rules delineate what we can and cannot discuss. If any of us should recognize a time to obey the rules, it's a good time to do so.
The belief in some form of creation by a "supreme being" is not religion. It's one of the theories offered as an explanation of the origins of the universe that has "evidence" of its own. Any theory requires a person to believe in something they cannot prove beyond a shadow of doubt.
Creation beliefs have many forms, some of which describe the earth supported on the backs of various large animals, including elephants, and turtles. Various cultures have creation beliefs. One modern Judeo-Christian belief is that God created the heavens and earth in 6 days, though "day" essentially meant huge geologic epochs spanning and overlapping one another, some with abrupt delineated markers, hundreds if not thousands of millions of years old, not 24 hour days.
If you have empirical, science based evidence of the existence of a supreme being that put Earth's water here, I'd be happy to hear it. The Bible (inarguably a Jewish and Christian religious text) is not such evidence and has no place on this forum. Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti religion, spirituality, or faith by any stretch, but the forum rules exist for good reason. There are plenty of other places for such totally valid discussions.
The book, "The Water Above" by Joseph C Dillow makes a strong scientific case for a vapor canopy that existed above the troposphere prior to Noah's day that kept the earth at an even temperature. (I have not personally read the book. It was suggested reading for those who have questions about how earth became an oceanic/land planet.)

Last edited:
<Slowly raises hand>
I'm sorry. I left the garden hose on. 😭
On the lighter side of things...

rfkJcC0.jpg

.... Any theory requires a person to believe in something they cannot prove beyond a shadow of doubt.
Ironically....a hefty amount of faith is usually required.
Let's stick to empirical, science based theory and evidence here folks.
You'd be surprised .....
If you have empirical, science based evidence of the existence of a supreme being that put Earth's water here, I'd be happy to hear it. ....
Again...you'd seriously be surprised.
And such a question with where the water came from has hallmarks of a "loaded question" given the scarcity of it in the universe and the vital part it plays in the Earth's ecosystem and life. Kinda like "What happened before the Big Bang?" ....which actually is regarded as a scientific question. Yet....it's a "Loaded question". It assumes the Big Bang Theory is a fact.

Ironically....a hefty amount of faith is usually required.

You'd be surprised .....

Again...you'd seriously be surprised.
And such a question with where the water came from has hallmarks of a "loaded question" given the scarcity of it in the universe and the vital part it plays in the Earth's ecosystem and life. Kinda like "What happened before the Big Bang?" ....which actually is regarded as a scientific question. Yet....it's a "Loaded question". It assumes the Big Bang Theory is a fact.
Not to “throw water on this,” guys, but the scientific method requires that one needs to conduct (or observe) experiments, then formulate a theory based from your research.

Here’s the problem: evolution in the animal kingdom cannot be observed because of the timeframe involved. While we may observe bacterial or viral mutations on the microscopic level in a brief time, that is much different than observing the evolution of an entirely new species of animal.

Currently, we only can view the geologic and fossil record and base our observations on that, which means there has not been any way we can reproduce our observations in the laboratory. That in itself precludes being able to utilize the scientific method as a means of defining a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom