How did all the water get on planet earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Twitter involve so much misinformation in society?

We use about 10% of our current brains

This is a popular myth (misinformation) that precedes social media. Debunked by neuroscience but the myth lives on.

One might ask why do humans (routinely) promulgate false ideas or myths without investigating them?

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/teaching/myth-we-only-use-10-of-our-brains.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-we-really-use-only-10

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

It's an interesting discussion, but not the place to bring it up on this forum. The creation vs. evolution discussion has been the endless debate among those with faith-based mindsets and theorists alike.

If perhaps you'd like to explore creationism vs. evolution, feel free to PM me. Because of forum rules, we can't discuss certain topics on this forum, but may do so privately.

If perhaps you were just being a bit sarcastic regards Carlin, I can understand that. Yet, if you have questions, I'd be more than happy to share some thoughts that some scientists and doctors say about creation vs. evolution, via PM.
Intended or not it bears marks of a loaded question as there are possible answers that are equally valid empirically from both perspectives including the creation aspect.

The creation aspect for the water in scripture is that God created the Earth first before the sun, moon and stars.

The Earth was formless and void and darkness was over the face of the deep and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

We use about 10% of our current brains

Complete BS. One look at a functional MRI scan will clearly show you that every single part of our brains is used, a lot. Nearly 50% of our brains are used for just visual processing in one way or another. Then there's all our other senses, nerve functions, motor functions, memory, reasoning, etc. The brain lights up like a Christmas tree even while we sleep.

Complete BS. One look at a functional MRI scan will clearly show you that every single part of our brains is used, a lot. Nearly 50% of our brains are used for just visual processing in one way or another. Then there's all our other senses, nerve functions, motor functions, memory, reasoning, etc. The brain lights up like a Christmas tree even while we sleep.
You're likely right. Was just repeating what I was taught some years ago in high school. Science has since discovered much more than we previously knew back then.

Fun fact. Darwin didn't even believe his own Theory of evolution before he passed away.
you're getting it wrong by omitting nearly all the facts jimmy boy

He didn't believe he had it completely proven out and had much more research to do to add detail to his nascent theory. Don't misconstrue that as some drunken fever dream he had and then self-dismissed.

I'm a biologist by training. Don't be running around my house with scissors 🤣

Seriously, read "On the origin of species". Then get yourself a copy of Campbell Biology (stadard 1st year college textbook). You might really like it. After that I have some more recommendations for you.

Seriously, read "On the origin of species". Then get yourself a copy of Campbell Biology (stadard 1st year college textbook). You might really like it. After that I have some more recommendations for you.

Some suggested reading: "The Darwin Black Box" -- Gerald L. Schroeder

You're likely right. Was just repeating what I was taught some years ago in high school. Science has since discovered much more than we previously knew back then.

Unfortunately lots of narratives "taught" in school are parroting uncritical ideas or otherwise fit the dominant cultural self-conception and whitewashing of certain inconvenient histories.

But every culture/society does this to a greater or lesser degrees because they're always the good guys, right?

(I sound like a conspiracy theorist here but I'm more looking at it psycho-culturally as part of the way the next generation is enculturated, whether factual or multi-perspectival or not.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom