How customizable is the Foot Switch Layout architecture?

stm113

Power User
I posted this into a discussion on Favebook but wanted to also post here to broaden the responses. If anyone can point me in the right direction you would be my hero!

The topic was-

Is there anyone here that is a FM9 layout guru? I'm not yet able to wrap my head around it. There are some specific things that I need to be able in certain presets, and may not want to repeat those same functions in more than one preset. Looking at the manual it feels like I may be limited, but as good as FAS is I'm thinking that there may be some work arounds.

Here are some of the most likely scenarios I would probably run into.

Preset
SW1 toggle Scene 1 (rhythm)/Scene 4 (Lead)
SW2 Scene Special FX
SW3 Scene Clean/Hold Tuner
SW4-9 mostly FX on and Off
External- Wah (auto on/off)
Ext 2 switches 1-tap tempo & 2-return to a layout where I can select banks/presets.

Preset
SW1-toggle Amp chan A & B
SW2-9 effects on and off. (SW 3 hold tuner)
External expression Volume block
Ext 2 switches- 1- tap tempo & 2- return to a layout where I can select banks/presets.

Preset
SW1 Scene Rhythm 1
SW2 Scene Rhythm 2
SW3 Scene Clean
SW’s 4,5,7,8 Fx on and off
SW6 Scene Lead
SW9 Fx on/off Hold Lead w Octave
Ext 2 switches- 1- tap tempo & 2- return to a layout where I can select banks/presets

I am nowhere near an expert but have been able to change the layouts to get what I need from them. I have set some of them as scene switches and others as effects on and off switches. I also connected my expression pedal with a switch and have that switch turning on and of the wah block. It just took a little time with the manual and poking around in the FM9 to figure it out. You can set this up as a layout for all presets as well as have some specific differences per preset. I think what you want to do is possible. It will just take a little reading and experimenting to get there.

You can build your layouts like you have above. You'd be overwriting the factory layouts but it can be done. I'd back up the stock layouts just in case you would need them again. You are also able to program per preset overrides (24 overrides available) to any switch layout using the front panel menus or FM9 edit and save it with the preset. The FC edit menu in FM9 edit is very powerful for editing the layouts. You'll have to spend some time programming what you specifically need but you can do what you want.

You can build your layouts like you have above. You'd be overwriting the factory layouts but it can be done. I'd back up the stock layouts just in case you would need them again. You are also able to program per preset overrides (24 overrides available) to any switch layout using the front panel menus or FM9 edit and save it with the preset. The FC edit menu in FM9 edit is very powerful for editing the layouts. You'll have to spend some time programming what you specifically need but you can do what you want.

Are you able to just adjust one of the switches within the factory preset, or do you have to custom make a whole preset to adjust just one parameter?

For example, I want to keep the basic "preset" per footswitch parameter, but on the upper level change one of the switches to activate the looper. Doable?

Last edited:
Are you able to just adjust one of the switches within the factory preset, or do you have to custom make a whole preset to adjust just one parameter?
Yes, you can adjust/assign one switch within any preset. You can have it perform the same function in every preset or use a Placeholder and use the same switch for different functions in different presets (Per-Preset switches).

The FC system is incredibly versatile and programmable, any switch can be assigned any function.

For my use case, the Per-Preset function and Layout Links are incredibly valuable. You can 'reserve' switches to be assigned to functions per preset. One preset can have switch #1 assigned to turn a Drive on/off, in a different preset, the same switch can be assigned to a Phaser. You can assign Layout Links to take you to a specific layout when selecting presets, moving back and forth between layouts, eg. if you have more than one effects layout

Control Switches are another powerful function, they can be assigned to any modifier including the Bypass state (on/off) of blocks that can be assigned Per-Preset as well.

Yes all of that is possible.

The FC system gives you 24 Per Preset slots (both tap and hold from any of the many available tap and hold functions) that you can define for every single preset. You can then globally assign Per Preset placeholders to switches in any of your 9 layouts and those switches will have the functions that you assign for each specific preset. This is very flexible but requires that you assign Per Preset functions for every single preset you use. Any presets that don't have functions defined for those slots will leave those footswitches non-functional on that preset.

There are also Per Preset Overrides that allow you override the function of a switch in any layout just for that specific preset instead. Those select from the same 24 Per Preset definitions for each preset. With Per Preset Overrides, you can define a default global function for switches in your layouts and then override it only as needed for specific presets. This is really handy when you only need a particular footswitch function for a specific preset or two and want it to do something else for all other presets.

The factory layouts are fully user editable. You can use them as templates and change what you want or replace them entirely if you want. They can also be reloaded at any time from the FC Config menu.

Last edited:
I posted this into a discussion on Favebook but wanted to also post here to broaden the responses. If anyone can point me in the right direction you would be my hero!

The topic was-

Is there anyone here that is a FM9 layout guru? I'm not yet able to wrap my head around it. There are some specific things that I need to be able in certain presets, and may not want to repeat those same functions in more than one preset. Looking at the manual it feels like I may be limited, but as good as FAS is I'm thinking that there may be some work arounds.

Here are some of the most likely scenarios I would probably run into.

Preset
SW1 toggle Scene 1 (rhythm)/Scene 4 (Lead)
SW2 Scene Special FX
SW3 Scene Clean/Hold Tuner
SW4-9 mostly FX on and Off
Ext 2 switches 1-tap tempo & 2-return to a layout where I can select banks/presets.

Preset
SW1-toggle Amp chan A & B
SW2-9 effects on and off. (SW 3 hold tuner)
External expression Volume block
Ext 2 switches- 1- tap tempo & 2- return to a layout where I can select banks/presets.

Preset
SW1 Scene Rhythm 1
SW2 Scene Rhythm 2
SW3 Scene Clean
SW’s 4,5,7,8 Fx on and off
SW6 Scene Lead
SW9 Fx on/off Hold Lead w Octave
Ext 2 switches- 1- tap tempo & 2- return to a layout where I can select banks/presets
It's somewhat complex what you're asking for, but I'll try to walk you thru it...

In all cases, select Layout 7 (PERFORM) to create individual presets.

Preset 1
SW 1 - Select Category > Scene. From Function > Toggle. From Primary select 1 from Secondary select 4.
SW 2 - Select Category > Layout From Function > Layout 4. Select View 1.
SW 3 - Select Category > Scene. From Function > Select, from Scene > (the scene number that is programmed for clean, like 1 was for rhythm, and 4 was for lead). HOLD > Select Utilities > Tuner.
SW4 - Select Category > Layout, Function > Layout 4, View 1. (Note that you've already got this switch programmed in SW2. This is essentially a redundant process you won't need and can utilize for something else.)
External 1 - Did you mean auto-wah, or auto on/off? Wahs can be programmed within the Wah blocks themselves right-clicking the Control, and selection Auto Engage or not.
External 2 - Essentially, a HOME button. Select > Category > Layout > Function Layout 7 (PERFORM, where your presets/bank buttons will reside > View 1.

I'll let others chime in regards the remaining requests. I think you'll get the hang of things once you see how presets, scenes and effects work together within the Layouts.

CAVEAT: If you've not got an external switch for HOME/PERFORM (programmed from the front panel with the correct polarity and set to be latching), be sure to put a HOME or PERFORM switch on each Layout, otherwise you could find yourself getting stuck in either Scene or Effect limbo without a way to return to your presets or PERFORM page.

You'd be overwriting the factory layouts but it can be done. I'd back up the stock layouts just in case you would need them again.
Why? They’re built-into the unit’s firmware and you can reset the unit back to it with a few button presses.

Read p. 71 in the manual.

You can build your layouts like you have above. You'd be overwriting the factory layouts but it can be done. ...The FC edit menu in FM9 edit is very powerful for editing the layouts. You'll have to spend some time programming what you specifically need but you can do what you want.

Why? They’re built-into the unit’s firmware and you can reset the unit back to it with a few button presses.

Read p. 71 in the manual.
This /\. The FM9 was designed to be entirely customizable so that whatever Layout works for you, you can program the FM9 to do what you might need. It will take time and don't expect to fly through things quickly. Not one of us have wings, yet. 😉

It's somewhat complex what you're asking for, but I'll try to walk you thru it...

In all cases, select Layout 7 (PERFORM) to create individual presets.

Preset 1
SW 1 - Select Category > Scene. From Function > Toggle. From Primary select 1 from Secondary select 4.
SW 2 - Select Category > Layout From Function > Layout 4. Select View 1.
SW 3 - Select Category > Scene. From Function > Select, from Scene > (the scene number that is programmed for clean, like 1 was for rhythm, and 4 was for lead). HOLD > Select Utilities > Tuner.
SW4 - Select Category > Layout, Function > Layout 4, View 1. (Note that you've already got this switch programmed in SW2. This is essentially a redundant process you won't need and can utilize for something else.)
External 1 - Did you mean auto-wah, or auto on/off? Wahs can be programmed within the Wah blocks themselves right-clicking the Control, and selection Auto Engage or not.
External 2 - Essentially, a HOME button. Select > Category > Layout > Function Layout 7 (PERFORM, where your presets/bank buttons will reside > View 1.

I'll let others chime in regards the remaining requests. I think you'll get the hang of things once you see how presets, scenes and effects work together within the Layouts.

CAVEAT: If you've not got an external switch for HOME/PERFORM (programmed from the front panel with the correct polarity and set to be latching), be sure to put a HOME or PERFORM switch on each Layout, otherwise you could find yourself getting stuck in either Scene or Effect limbo without a way to return to your presets or PERFORM page.
To answer your Wah question, I mean for the Wah to automatically turn on when the expression pedal moves. I have the Mission EP-1 with the spring so the treadle returns to zero. I had it set up like that with my Axe Fx II and its so awesome live.

I think that the "Home Button" may not be needed if I can do the roll Heel To Toe on switches 6 & 9 to get me back to Layout 9. I just need to be able to get out of my "Preset specific" Layout to one that will allow me to get to other presets and into their layouts..

I have a Line 6 Helix Lt (sorry for cussing) and something I think they did well in the design is there is a switch called "mode". There are a couple of ways you can set up the unit but here's how I had it. In regular mode you can scroll banks and select from 8 presets, then pressing the mode switch "opens up" the preset, then the switches can select anything you have assigned which is per preset. When you need to go to another preset, press the mode switch to get back to being able to scroll banks & presets. That is what I would like to do with a "home" switch, something that will allow me to easily and quickly get to other presets, select them and "open" them up to use the layout.

Does that make sense?

To answer your Wah question, I mean for the Wah to automatically turn on when the expression pedal moves. I have the Mission EP-1 with the spring so the treadle returns to zero. I had it set up like that with my Axe Fx II and its so awesome live.

I think that the "Home Button" may not be needed if I can do the roll Heel To Toe on switches 6 & 9 to get me back to Layout 9. I just need to be able to get out of my "Preset specific" Layout to one that will allow me to get to other presets and into their layouts..

I have a Line 6 Helix Lt (sorry for cussing) and something I think they did well in the design is there is a switch called "mode". There are a couple of ways you can set up the unit but here's how I had it. In regular mode you can scroll banks and select from 8 presets, then pressing the mode switch "opens up" the preset, then the switches can select anything you have assigned which is per preset. When you need to go to another preset, press the mode switch to get back to being able to scroll banks & presets. That is what I would like to do with a "home" switch, something that will allow me to easily and quickly get to other presets, select them and "open" them up to use the layout.

Does that make sense?
Yup. That's what I had thought you had said regards the wah.

First be sure that the front panel has programmed your 3 PEDAL jack outputs, if perhaps you have more than just PEDAL jack 1 occupied. You can do that by touching the E button modifier (Setup) and then pressing ENTER. Scroll right using PAGE > until you reach Stand-In Switches. If your wah is plugged into PEDAL jack 1 be sure that FM9 SW1 is blank. Other FM9 SW2 & FM9 SW3 external switches need to be adjusted accordingly.

Once that is complete. To set up the wah, in the wah controller screen, right click Control. From the open screen that displays, modify NONE to PEDAL 1. Select Auto-Engage to Med Spd. Adjust Start or End, or Off Value as needed. I personally selected 0% Start, Mid 50%, End 90%. Off Value was kept at 5% so that when you heel down, the wah shuts off at 5% and allows an extra 5% for OFF status.

For better quality wah, try this: set Min @ 420 Hz, Max @ 1500 Hz, Resonance Q @ 6.13. Drive @ 5.5, Fat @ 10.0. Level @ -3.0.

In Graphic EQ boost your 640 to 1.75, your 1000 to 4.5 and your 1600 to 2.5.

All of this will improve the quality of your wah. Info courtesy of Leon Todd's video Wah Tips & Tricks.

FTR, heel to toe on switches 6 & 9 brings up MstrLyt (Master Layout); Layout 9. You don't want or need to be there. You might need MstrLyt only if you need to access the the beginning of factory Presets, Layouts 1 thru 8, Utilities, etc. To access other "functions" (Presets, Layouts, Utilities, Effects, Etc) you'd need to heel to toe switch 6 and 9 again.

Regards presets, I need to ask a question. When you say "preset specific" layout, do you mean user presets, or presets you've previously stored in Layout 7, PERFORM? If neither, Layout 1 is where your factory presets begin, and setting either a tap or hold switch to Category > Layout > Select > Layout 1 > View 1 will bring you to the beginning of factory presets.

In FC-Edit, if you're using Layout 7 (PERFORM) as your basis for user presets, selecting Category > Layout > Select > Layout 7 > Select By # > # 384 will bring you to the beginning of your user preset banks.

Once you've accessed a preset, you need a switch that will select the scenes within that preset. That can be accomplished by selecting a switch in each of your layouts. In each layout, select one switch to enable SCENES. Within FC-Edit, Select: Category > Scene > Select > 1 thru 8. ( I usually select Scene 1 because it brings me to the top of my Preset/Scene front panel list.).

The reason I suggested a HOME (PERFORM/Layout 7) switch is so you can find the first of your user presets quickly and not have to use the BANK +1/BANK -1 switches I've also created. BANKs require more time tap dancing than a HOME button.

We'll catch up later on setting up banks (it's easier than you think).

Last edited:
Just thought you might benefit from this. Here are my layout screens that contain 3 presets per bank, and 4 scenes per scene layout. Although this may. not be the way you might set up your board, it is adequate for my needs. Hope you can glean some useful set-up info from this:

OZIL8tS.png

8AS3AjN.png

exl2cNv.png

miboqt4.png

sfCHq2Z.png

zdgWnLm.png

VwiGg2h.png

OZEplTW.png

0cpZbOP.png

Please note that in Layout 7 (PERFORM / HOME), the Bank increment is +1. Bank size is determined in the front panel by entering Set Up (E) : ENTER : Page > : Config : Bank Size : SET : Exit : Exit. For my FM9, the Bank Size is 3 because only 3 presets are displayed within my Layout 7 (PERFORM/HOME) screen.

Layout 8 has a SCENE select, so as to switch from Layout 8 (Utilities) to Layout 2 (SCENES) quickly. Once you've selected a SCENE, you can switch to UTILITIES and use the CS Switches, then switch back to the first SCENE in your PRESET that contained the SCENE

It should be noted that is is NOT safe to modify Layout 9 (MstrLayout) UNLESS you absolutely know what you are doing. If you are unfamiliar with these parameters, DO NOT modify.

Last edited:
I think I am getting the gist of the per preset functions, now I need to figure out how to assign a switch (external) to get me out of the "per preset" layout to somewhere that I could select other presets, then be able to get back into the "per preset" layout. Does that make sense?

Hi all. I wanted to give an update. I got stricken with the Covid so I was down for a minute but I am back up and running now. I found a way that works almost perfectly for me I wanted to share in case it could be beneficial for others. For some reason in my mind I was thinking that the 24 Per Preset functions were a global override thing and not 'per preset' as the name implies.

For each preset I am not using one of the factory layouts, but instead I am using Per Preset. for my main original band my patches are set up like this:
FS-1 = Toggles Scene between Main Rhythm tone and Lead tone
FS-2 = Scene I call it special FX usually Modulation, EQ & Delay for ambient keyboardy type stuff
FS-3 = Scene Clean tone (also hold for tuner see ***note below)
FS-4 = Stomp Phaser (or Flanger) On/Off
FS-5 = Stomp Chorus on/off
FS-6 = Stomp Rotary/Vibe effect - HOLD function CS-1 changes speed.
FS-7 = Stomp OD on/off
FS-8 = Stomp Delay on/off
FS-9 = Stomp Ring Modulation (octave) on/off
EXT1- Expression Pedal - Mission labs with spring to return to heel down wah set to auto on/off
EXT2 - Switch ***I want to set this to turn tuner on/off instantly and haven't figured that out yet
EXT3 - Switch Tap Tempo

I use the "Roll on FS 6 & 9" to take me to Layout 9 from there I can change presets and banks, once I select the preset I want, I roll 6 & 9 again to go back to Layout 9 and then select "Per Preset". This is next to PERFECT for me.

The only 2 things I would like to change is 1- the Ext Switch 2 to select tuner and 2- I am sure there is a setting but if I am on a scene then turn on fx and switch to another scene, those same fx seem to be on when I come back to the scene. For example if I am on Scene 1 my main rhythm tone and I turn on a phase and then switch to the clean scene, when I go back to Scene 1 for rhythm the phase is still on. Also if I turn on my rotary then use the hold function to change the speed, the next time I turn on the effect it is set to the "changed" speed. I guess what I need to figure out is there a setting to reset the scene and/or the CS function when I change scene or bypass the effect?

Thank you all for your help this is such a fun and wonderful ride. What a unit!

Back
Top Bottom