How can the FC12 orders be greater than expected???

I think Fractal does better than most companies at their level. They are making a premium product but still respond with the customer service of a local store.

I don't know of many (any?) companies that engage with their customers at this level. It is impressive that this intimacy continues given the tendency of people to second guess their actions. It would be far easier for Fractal to be silent to avoid criticism but yet they join in the fray.

Basically everyone that has gotten their FC loves it and how easy it is to program, how customizable it is, how it’s worth every penny etc.

With great things comes a wait, at least when they are new.

The II was hard to get at first, then it was pretty much readily available for years.

Before to long the FC’s will be readily stocked. A new buyer will add one to their cart along with a III, it will ship, they will miss UPS the fist day and be mad, then they will finally get it, plug it in and love it.

It’s only the folks that want the latest and greatest and want it as soon as it comes out that have to deal with waiting, but that is how it is for most products.

People used to sleep on the ground outside Apple stores to get the newest phones. Then after a few months, you can go to any store and buy one, no waiting. Just how it works with anything really.

Maybe FAS just builds it too good. Maybe if the price was way higher, or it had fewer features etc demand would be really low.

Charge $3999 for a III, $1499 for a FC, and I bet a whole lot fewer folks would be in line lol

But they don’t, they charge a fair price, offer an amazing product, and sadly everyone seems to want one.

I see the same compliants about pedals too. Guys mad they have to wait 9 months for a King of Tone, and how they don’t want to do business with a company that won’t take their money for a product faster but they can’t walk away because they want it...

I mean, we are all free to teach FAS a “lesson” and not buy a FC.

Can’t get it to market in time? Not transparent enough, didn’t respect the official waitlist ?

Take your business elsewhere. Enough people feel the same, it will be a huge financial flop, Cliff will have to sell off his boat, and FAS will learn by golly....

But how many people are getting out of line? I know I’m not. We can complain up and down, day after day, but we all know the moment we get an invite we are buying one, no?

As such, FAS doesn’t really need to change anything they are doing, because the ultimate metric of business success, sales and demand, are off the charts
This sounds to me like you’re saying “If people complain it doesn’t do any good. If you don’t like it, vote with your wallet and don’t buy one. But what they do is great and they’re in demand, so obviously they’re doing it right.”

In my experience, customer complaint feedback is the most premium resource for companies to improve their products and services. While kudos is great for morale, criticism is great for ideas and innovation.

From what I can see, OP is asking why numbers gleaned from waitlist requests resulted in a miscalculation of demand. This could be potentially solved in future releases by requiring a more specific waitlist request.

And of course, not all feedback can be registered. I know three Axe 2 users in my area who have never even seen the forum, and decided not to upgrade to the 3 when they saw that their MFC would not be supported. Maybe they will purchase in the distant future, and maybe not. But as long as people aren’t being really negative and vitriolic in their complaints, this type of information and disgruntlement is typically useful for product developers.

I do appreciate your efforts to keep the conversation positive, in any case.

Last edited:
...Not making the MFC101 backwards compatible, was not a great move IMO. It has been a PITA to program that thing and it works, but I do not want to change a thing until the FC comes because I barely have the thing doing what I want. Most would buy the FC when they were released because of the windows and the ability to assign IA's wherever you want. I don't think it would have hurt their FC sales. But in the meantime having the MFC work like it did before with the Axe Fx II would have been a nice gesture...

While I recognize (and to some extent share) your sentiments, I suspect that making the AFX III backward compatible with the MFC-101 would in the long run stifle the further development of FasLink II foot controllers now and into the future. Kind of like wanting a parallel port on your iPad so you could continue to use a dot matrix printer.

Response is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
On a more serious note: I do strongly disagree with your statement that "anyone expressing any displeasure is tagged as a "whiner" or "entitled."" -- there is very little evidence of such labels being thrown around on this forum and that kind of personal attack would usually get flagged. Someone disagreeing with you, offering a counter opinion, is not a label. This is, after all, a discussion forum and you can't throw out an opinion bomb and walk away thinking no one will hurl one back. Hold any position you like, but don't be surprised when you're tasked with defending it.

And, uh, yea -- try to have some fun while you're at?

Inventory re-order point algorithms are very well refined and documented. Product launches are fairly similar to re-orders algorithmically for the purpose of forecasting initial launch inventory levels.

The thing is that such algorithms rely heavily upon historic data. In the case of the Axe II or Axe III, Fractal would have had historic data from previous product launches to allow them to forecast launch demand for those products.

In the case of the FC Fractal had no historic sales data for a similar product to help them to forecast initial demand. They had created a two tiered product and had to make an educated guess as to how the demand for each unit would break. The MFC was not a reliable barometer since there was only one model of MFC.

I feel for those of you that are waiting for your FCs. I really do especially if you are gigging with it.

That said, this is why I gave up being an early adopter because I get frustrated by situations like this.

I think that the OP was referring to the tone of the response, not the response itself. I’ve brought this up once before. It would seem to me, that the role of moderation should be to moderate the tone of the discussion. It doesn’t need to be tit for tat, or in some cases throttle it up. This not only encourages a mob mentality, it can also drive customers underground or worse, away altogether. The overall voice of the customer is valuable. A good team is motivated by its fans and its detractors, more than its boosters and cheerleaders. This function is 100% customer relations. The fact that most of us aren’t famous artists should not be a factor either. I would argue that if it weren’t for the general consumers, the artists would not have this product. Dumble is a very rare breed, and a very risky business-model to copy.

As for the OP’s response, yes, in fact, being accused of “entitled” has not been uncommon.

My career has been launching new models. It is a bumpy road. When there are more than one derivative, model mix and demand are rarely hand-in hand, particularly early in the curve, when volumes are understandably low. I totally understand where FAS is right now. It’s normal. It will get better. The product is very well received.

Somebody mentioned customers voting with their feet. I’ve already done so. My Kemper is in a case and with about 40 other amps in the “closet”. I play my favourite amps out and my III in the studio. I am totally looking forward to my FC12 invitation. I am away in the EU for a few weeks, so this brief hold is not critical.

As for the role of the consumer with new products, early adoption is one approach, and waiting until the new products and their options are mature and available in quantity is another. Live and learn, and accept the outcome, with everything that goes with it.

As for the OP’s response, yes, in fact, being accused of “entitled” has not been uncommon.
Prove this. I contend it's not a thing that happens on this board. "Not common" means ordinary, usual, happens as a matter of course. This is patently false on this board.

I'll wait.

That a forum is maintained by the company, and contributed to daily by staff and management, already puts FAS high on the list of unusually responsive musical instrument manufacturers. They have even maintained a “now being served” thread to help those on the wait list have some idea where they stand, which says to me that they have heard the customer’s concerns and are doing what they can to address it.

My opinion (Bomb) is that they strive to let their forum members and FB followers know early on when things are on the horizon. Yes, that creates angst because we then will want it now, not Soon. They know they’re going to catch hell for any delays (which is why most companies don’t follow the practice), but have always shared anticipated releases with us anyway.

Whether it’s called by name or not, there is a lot of whining and complaining and cheerleading and ass kissing that goes on here. It’s a company forum, so acting surprised about that is akin to being shocked to find chocolate chips in your chocolate chip cookies. It’s to be expected and is all part of the fun.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Wait bothering you? Buy something else. I did. I can always go to the FC later, but I have options and I’m not letting someone else’s release schedule dictate my playing experience or gig use as long as I do.

Last edited:
Prove this. I contend it's not a thing that happens on this board. "Not common" means ordinary, usual, happens as a matter of course. This is patently false on this board.

I'll wait.
I apologise for the delay. I'm in the EU right now, and your response came smack in the middle of my day.

I don't want to slight others, so I don't want to send public examples. I respect that you firmly hold to your opinion, but I stand by my opinion as well. They aren't patently false. Maybe we have different push points. For example, I might consider your response to me aggressive, but maybe that wasn't your intention. If you like, and with your permission, I will be happy to send you excerpts and clips... examples of responses specifically to me. But I sincerely don't want to offend anyone here. What's more, I have no influence on this forum, nor do I want it. I'm here, chatting with other fractal owners and checking on the availability of something I consider to be critically necessary. I bought a III in March 2018. Once I have my FC, I'll probably simply look for updates. I can assure you, this thread is currently bringing me little joy.

All that said, if you just go to something recent: the thread "FC Controllers Now Shipping!" and read through. You can read examples and why I would say it wasn't uncommon. One more point, when I say something is "not uncommon", it means I'm not surprised when I see it. I does not mean that it's rampant.

I feel for those of you that are waiting for your FCs. I really do especially if you are gigging with it.

Thing is, I have a III but I’m gigging with the II because of the controller problem.

It’s probably even worse. :)

And I can’t even get on a waitlist as the local distributor doesn’t have the slightest idea when the FCs may be available, how many of them and what’s going to happen next.

So yeah, it’s pretty annoying.

Thing is, I have a III but I’m gigging with the II because of the controller problem. It’s probably even worse. :)

And I can’t even get on a waitlist as the local distributor doesn’t have the slightest idea when the FCs may be available, how many of them and what’s going to happen next. So yeah, it’s pretty annoying.
Well, the way I see it by having the III you have some time to get your presets for the new platform.:)

Well, the way I see it by having the III you have some time to get your presets for the new platform.:)

Somehow I find it easier and much faster to dial presets on the III. I don't know if it's real difference or I'm just imagining things, but stock settings just sound more ready. Also, I think the stock cab selection is better, which helps speed things up.

One thing I can't solve is looper automation, but that, as I suspect now, isn't going to work for me no matter how much time I spend on it until it's fixed in the firmware.

I remember the ol' Kemper fiasco. I have nothing against that product at all and I think it is a great unit with a brilliant concept. I had a couple of them and both of them had issues...one after a few weeks and another after less than a year. The first unit took 4 months to repair. The whole "we are going to be able to offer you a power amp" announcement at Namm was a fiasco beyond belief. They the offered a $350 credit to buy a new unit. That was a nice token gesture, thanks but no thanks.

The whole KPA Remote was an even more pressing joke. People were getting invites to order those based on how well they knew some people, nothing to do with following a list. There was all kinds of proof of this that was posted. Either way, done finished and moved on but not forgotten. Mistakes were made but hey, that is the way the ball bounces sometimes.

I have to say I have been extremely impressed with all things Fractal for my first time ownership. Communication has been great! No issues with the unit at all. Fast shipping and a very solid and quality product.

I am not afraid to admit this at all....years back I would scoff and scowl at the thought of even owning one of these units. There were massive waiting lists that were reported on many forums, people saying that the forum was a bunch of arrogant and stuck up individuals, etc....etc......

All of this (except for the waiting list thing YEARS AGO...I might add...that was definitely real) were completely false! I've talked with and gotten advice from a great many folks here and everyone has been absolutely fantastic on this board. I credit Bishop for finally making me cave on one of these after I have heard his many Ozzy tribute shows using the Fractal gear via FOH. The man deserves a pat on the back or at least a medal!

As soon as I saw a new version III was going to be available I knew that was it. Got on the waiting list. Got my invite. Then the footboard part came into view. Got on the waiting list on the day it was offered and 9 months later, I have my FC-6. Thus far, they have been more than fair with communicating. If you are waiting on that list, have no fear, you will get it eventually and it will be totally worth it!

I bought a KPA and its FC together in SEP17. Have never had a mechanical or software issue. When I’ve had questions, I have been helped on their forum. It was mostly friendly. When I’ve had an urgent question, I’ve picked up the phone and rang the customer support telephone. A real person answers and knows exactly what he’s doing.

I bought an XL+ in OCT17 and the MFC-101 about one month later. When I had technical questions, I came to the forum and received help. It is also full of mostly friendly people. In JAN, the III was announced. I got on the list and received mine in late MAR18, a week after I sold my XL+ and MFC-101. My III arrived with missing software. I reported on the forum, asking people why I had missing presets and only legacy IR Cabs. M@ emailed me, asked for my phone number, called me, sent me files, and walked me through a special procedure. He is always a great guy. After less than a week, the screen went white. I contacted customer support via email, and they asked me to send it back. I did immediately, and the day it arrived in NH, my new unit was sent to me. It has worked great. Great service. I love my III. I’m more than anxious, to use it live. It arrived prior to the Editor being released, which gave me an opportunity to learn the hardware. I could not be happier. The KPA is in a case.

I’m absolutely fine with my current situation. I have more than a ton of amps. Yes, I want an FC12 as soon as practical. I also see no reason, to challenge other customers’ current situation. Needing want you don’t have isn’t entitlement. An FC isn’t a right, it’s a need. If people want to cheer, that’s fine. I love and cheer for FAS too. The more successful they are, the better my guitar sounds.

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

This was perfect. I thought of the same Monty Python routine, but you actually found it. Well done. I come from a long line of New Yorkers. We love to argue. By the way, note that the customer was more than willing to pay for the Argument Department, in 12a. But he hightailed it out of the Abuse Department, in 12.

Speaking of Monty Python, their Face The Press episode of The Piranha Brothers? I recalled that, as well.
"I've been told Dinsdale Piranha nailed your head to the floor...No. Never. He was a smashing bloke. He used to buy his mother flowers and that. He was like a brother to me...But the police have film of Dinsdale actually nailing your head to the floor...Oh yeah, he did that...Why?...Well he had to, didn't he? I mean there was nothing else he could do, to be fair. I had transgressed the unwritten law."

I think the clip is available, but I don't think that I'm authorized to grab it and post it. I'm in a different country.

I'm on the list for an FC-12 but the RJM has me second guessing that purchase. My old eyes don't have an issue with the Mastermind GT...it works like a champ!

Attachments

• rjm2.jpg
    rjm2.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom