How can i get the "Royal Blood" sound?

Vintagero

Hi people.

There is a band called "Royal Blood", they are a drummer and a bass player, and this is how they sound live:

...and my question is: How the f... they get this sound? Obviously there is an octave generator involved, but i've been trying some test and i can get their "thickness" (maybe "richness" is the word). Any suggestions, please?

Thanks. ;)

What he does is run the bass through a few different chains/amps. You can pretty much cop what he is doing by running 2 chains in the axe. Split the bass signal, run it to a bass amp and then pitch it up an octave and run it to a guitar amp. Various fuzz/distortions in between each as it applies.

The problem is you won't be able to do it convincingly with the axe. It can't handle the pitch shifting especially on the lower bass notes. Myself and others have tried (search this forum for the thread), it just can't at the moment. Those POGs are quite a bit ahead in that department. I believe someone on here ran the chain the opposite in that they used a guitar and shifted down and that was a better solution, but I'm sure you lose a lot of the chunkyness of the sound because it's not played on a bass.

Here's a video of a guy who does it pretty damn convincingly, but with POGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCJF_L5zog

Yeah, split signal, Mike Kerr is using a couple POGs, real close to the pedal board in the vid by Adam Flanigan - this guy doesn't get as close, but he explains it very well, seems Mike Kerr uses the tuner to mute the bass side to get more guitar like squeals and such, also good to make sure you have a clean tone going out of the octave pedal, which I think Mike Kerr's then running through 2 guitar amps and some fuzzes and FX, basically he treats the octave up as if it's guitar and keeps the bass going through a bass amp (3 amp set-up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91n83EdsrE

Thanks guys. ;)

I've noticed that, at some point, the pitch shifter of the Axe becomes "fuzzy" in a bad way...

Sorry to dig up this old topic but this is interesting to me. Has the Axe FX evolved to be able to pull this off better in the past year?

Or could you maybe just run through a POG, sending one signal into the Axe FX's instrument input and another into the back somehow?

Sorry to dig up this old topic but this is interesting to me. Has the Axe FX evolved to be able to pull this off better in the past year?

Or could you maybe just run through a POG, sending one signal into the Axe FX's instrument input and another into the back somehow?

With a send/return of the FX loop, you could easily insert a POG into the chain where you want it.

The axe by itself can still definitely not do it. You could as mentioned run a POG in the fx loop and position the 2nd amp after the loop.

Not sure if these guys know what they're talking about but they're recreating the rig on a semi-tight budget:

Watched this just last night and found it fascinating - these guys have made quite a few Sound Like videos, but this one seems to be far more detailed than their previous ones.

Not every bit of kit they used has been modelled in the AxeFx, but it's a great starting point and source of information.

Not much has changed in the past years on the effect section especially not in the pitch shifter. So if it couldn't be done one or two years ago it can't be done now. You need a polyphonic and better (octave up) pitch shifter for this.

I like some songs of Royal Blood but I get a bit bored after a while. Lot of the riffs sound alike to me and it also is bit limiting since the guitar lines and bass lines are always in unison.

Back
Top Bottom