How can I deaden pick attack for tremelo picking?

Mesaholic

Inspired
I am using a multidelay (set to plex detune) with tremelo picking to try to create an ambient part on a Christian song. The problem is the pick attack is too hard and takes away from the wash effect. Is there a way to deaden it? Thanks!

Yep. Using a very light pick and trying not to strike too hard but still getting "thumps". Will look for the pick attack parameter. Thanks.

Two thoughts.

Are you using a guitar with S/S/S pickup configuration? If so you might be striking the pickup. Second thought. Switch to a different pick like the Gravity Gold. They are expensive, but have a much softer pick attack. Great pick especially for legato playing. I personally use the Striker Big Mini Gravity Gold 1.5mm. Currently my go to pick. Just don't lose it. It is hard to play with tears in your eyes.

I am using a multidelay (set to plex detune) with tremelo picking to try to create an ambient part on a Christian song. The problem is the pick attack is too hard and takes away from the wash effect. Is there a way to deaden it? Thanks!

You just have to crank the mix on your multidelay or reverb so it’s fully wet or almost fully wet (depending on how much pick attack you want). Using the Deep Space reverb with mix fully wet will give you a rad washed out ambient vibe. Add in a little slow modulation and you’ve got instant Sigur Ros ambience.

If you want to attenuate the first delay reflections without washing them with diffusion and feedback, tie an envelope to mix% and reverse the slope. Make it so that the stronger the attack the less the mix%. Also, the damp is an important factor to control how quickly it reacts to changes in attack strength.

Last edited:
There is a "Pick Attack" parameter in the "Dynamics" (or the "Preamp") section of the amp block. It's right beside the "Dynamics" parameter.

You could also use a compressor block. That could smooth that right out for you.

I strum with my thumb without adjusting parameters.
That’s the least attack that I can play on guitar consistently.
That way I can add in a picked note here and there.

You just have to crank the mix on your multidelay or reverb so it’s fully wet or almost fully wet (depending on how much pick attack you want). Using the Deep Space reverb with mix fully wet will give you a rad washed out ambient vibe. Add in a little slow modulation and you’ve got instant Sigur Ros ambience.

Sorry to take so long to reply, but thanks everyone for the advice. Some interesting ideas here and I intend on following up on them as this type of sound is reasonably critical to what I do in my church band. i got through last Sunday by essentially doing what York Audio suggested - turning the reverb to 100% wet but I want to to try it with the modulation. Anyway, thanks again!

^^ This! Set a really fast Attack.

Fast Attack AND a quick release, so you're just compressing the attack transient. You might try a high ratio, and add in some uncompressed signal in parallel to keep it sounding "natural"

Or try a leather or felt pick: For general use: I like the Dunlop Jazztone 206 or 208 for smooth attack & release.

Last edited:
Fast Attack AND a quick release, so you're just compressing the attack transient. You might try a high ratio, and add in some uncompressed signal in parallel to keep it sounding "natural"

Or try a leather, felt or soft jazz pick.
Yeah... Forgot to mention the Release!

Sorry to take so long to reply, but thanks everyone for the advice. Some interesting ideas here and I intend on following up on them as this type of sound is reasonably critical to what I do in my church band. i got through last Sunday by essentially doing what York Audio suggested - turning the reverb to 100% wet but I want to to try it with the modulation. Anyway, thanks again!

I’m so glad it’s working well for you. I use that setting quite often with my band and it creates a really cool intensity with tremolo picking. Which song were you covering?

Back
Top Bottom