How Can a Chubby Aging Guitarist Get in Shape?

I was a vegetarian for 33 years. Then I looked at my blood type which indicated I should eat heavy does of red meat. I tried it. I felt great for a few years. Then the other problems started I'd never had before: High cholesterol, gaining weight, neck pains. Much of this can be atributed to a more sedentary lifestyle. A lot of sitting everyday with a guitar and infront of a computer. But I'm CONVINCED a lot of it was dietary. FOR ME the results of a mediterranean diet, almost zero carbs, gluten free has made a tremendous and immediate diference. But that's just me. I'm just speaking personally. This is what my wife hass done. She researched it and put us on it. She wants a partner for a long time.

Kettlebells have been a major discovery for me this year, otherwise it's a mixture of Yoga, Krav Maga, Cycling and just had a clubbell delivered today to have some fun with and fix my shoulders

I was a vegetarian for 33 years. Then I looked at my blood type which indicated I should eat heavy does of red meat. I tried it. I felt great for a few years. Then the other problems started I'd never had before: High cholesterol, gaining weight, neck pains. Much of this can be atributed to a more sedentary lifestyle. A lot of sitting everyday with a guitar and infront of a computer. But I'm CONVINCED a lot of it was dietary. FOR ME the results of a mediterranean diet, almost zero carbs, gluten free has made a tremendous and immediate diference. But that's just me. I'm just speaking personally. This is what my wife hass done. She researched it and put us on it. She wants a partner for a long time.
That is the key. Find what your body wants and go with it. I have always had good results with plant based and just a little meat, low on complex carbs and so on. I had hip replacement and that relieved about 4 years of increasing pain. Took nearly a year to get back into a point where I could workout fairly hard, and now I'm moving around better than I have in years and feeling better than ever. And that is inspiring me to eat even better as well.

Can you provide the supplement name/dose and and sample meal or a link? Thanks.

Here you are, good sir!

https://www.countrylifevitamins.com/product/max-for-vegans/variation-120-capsules/

I buy it at Whole Foods for $30 a bottle.

Interesting.

I was a vegetarian for the last couple of years, but didn’t feel great that often. Then I saw a number of people whose opinions I respect touting the benefits of carnivore, so I did the research and decided to give it a shot.

Transformative. All the benefits you described and a number of others: constant energy level, heightened focus, amazing sleep, cured my acid reflex, blood pressure is perfect now, and blood work is ideal, with the exception of cholesterol as you would expect, but if you do the research you’ll see thats not a concern Like we’ve been lead to believe. For many it has been the answer for Immune disorders as well. You end up fasting anyway because you are never hungry and you don’t have an emotional attachment to food.

Been great for the wife as well.

Look at cultures where the geography/climate dictate the diet...no cancer, no heart disease, no diabetes.

Not saying it’s for everyone, but it warrants consideration. And I think we can all agree that processed sugars and carbs should be avoided no matter what route you take.

Back when I first changed my diet I could recite all the crap they put in dairy and processed food that was causing inflammation in the body.

That's interesting though, two of the things I've experienced as well is the lack of appetite and I lost the emotional attachment to food. People ask me all the time, "Aren't you hungry all the time?" and no, I'm certainly not. I have to force myself to eat breakfast every morning and I'm not a snacker anymore unless I've got the munchies, but that's self-induced. It's funny though, people thinking I just eat lettuce and bananas day and night. :tearsofjoy:

Totally agreed in regards to processed garbage. Cutting that out of any diet is a major enhancement for the body. Funny, but that's something a lot of vegans don't grasp themselves. They'll live off of meat substitutes and Gardein garbage then wonder why they're overweight with acne like a teenager.

But yeah, I think the lack of processed foods in those areas where the georgraphy/climate dictates the diet is a major contender in their health.

I gotta agree with this 100%. I've had serious back and neck issues. All but gone. I used to go to the chiropractor twice a week before the lockdown. Now I've been once. I used to go to physical therapy twice a week as well. I haven't been back since. I had super high cholesterol. It's come dramatically down. I'm due for some more testing after the Prolon diet this week - my third.

My father-in-law was on both blood pressure and cholesterol meds, he wanted to give it a shot as well and after 2 months his doctor took him off the cholesterol meds and cut his BP meds in half. If I remember right, he's completely off them now.

I just refused the statins. They made me feel weird. This is the primary reason I went on the diet change. I just cut out meat, carbs, drank a lot of water, ate mostly veggies. Cholesterol dropped like a hot potato.

Here you are, good sir!

https://www.countrylifevitamins.com/product/max-for-vegans/variation-120-capsules/

I buy it at Whole Foods for $30 a bottle.

Back when I first changed my diet I could recite all the crap they put in dairy and processed food that was causing inflammation in the body.

That's interesting though, two of the things I've experienced as well is the lack of appetite and I lost the emotional attachment to food. People ask me all the time, "Aren't you hungry all the time?" and no, I'm certainly not. I have to force myself to eat breakfast every morning and I'm not a snacker anymore unless I've got the munchies, but that's self-induced. It's funny though, people thinking I just eat lettuce and bananas day and night. :tearsofjoy:

Totally agreed in regards to processed garbage. Cutting that out of any diet is a major enhancement for the body. Funny, but that's something a lot of vegans don't grasp themselves. They'll live off of meat substitutes and Gardein garbage then wonder why they're overweight with acne like a teenager.

But yeah, I think the lack of processed foods in those areas where the georgraphy/climate dictates the diet is a major contender in their health.

My father-in-law was on both blood pressure and cholesterol meds, he wanted to give it a shot as well and after 2 months his doctor took him off the cholesterol meds and cut his BP meds in half. If I remember right, he's completely off them now.
Yeah I get the “aren’t you hungry” thing quite a bit as well. and prior to doing this I would have thought the same, but it just doesn’t happen that way. I eat once a day out of habit not hunger, and even then I’m full very quickly, I struggle to finish a three egg omelette. My wife made the switch as well and has a very similar experience. Its liberating to not be emotionally attached to food...it’s one of those things you have to experience to really understand the benefit...I know I didn‘t believe it... but now I have a better perspective.

I tend to Induce the “munchies” for my practice sessions but a little beef jerky and I’m good.

Intermittent fasting. Even if you don't change your diet but restrict that you only consume food or drink with calorie in a 6-8 hours period a day, will make you lose fat quickly.
If you lose the sugar and red meat, it will be even faster!

Dropped 40 lbs doing OMAD. One meal a day. Inflammation goes down, feel better, loose weight. Now I’m on just intermittent fasting. We eat way too much. I can eat whatever I want just not three meals a day.

I also discovered that 'whole food/plant based/no oil' is the answer. I would add that the bulk of the plants should be potatoes and grains and the other starchy vegetables, not greens as some may think. Then eat all you want. The starch is where we get the energy and satisfaction from eating.

I know a few have mentioned the importance of diet, some even claiming it was all diet. WRONG!!!

If you only focus on diet, you will lose weight, but you won't really tone and without stretching you won't develop flexibility and speed. Hint, how do you think the ninjas move so fast. By eating healthy and doing nothing else? No, very specific training in flexibility and relaxation.

Slow = Fast over time.

I don't want to imply that I know what I'm doing, just that I know what works for me, and I'm getting to a point where I am able to get focused on that again after years of corporate life and a bad hip issue that is finally fixed.

I know a few have mentioned the importance of diet, some even claiming it was all diet. WRONG!!!

If you only focus on diet, you will lose weight, but you won't really tone and without stretching you won't develop flexibility and speed. Hint, how do you think the ninjas move so fast. By eating healthy and doing nothing else? No, very specific training in flexibility and relaxation.

Slow = Fast over time.

I don't want to imply that I know what I'm doing, just that I know what works for me, and I'm getting to a point where I am able to get focused on that again after years of corporate life and a bad hip issue that is finally fixed.

Diet is wrong? If you already know it all, then why are you asking for advice?

85% is diet. If you don't believe or understand that, then you will not succeed.
I'm a gym rat and have not missed more than 1 week per year, for the past 25 years.
And even though working out is one of the staples in my life, I can tell you that diet is WAAAAY more important, and accounts for much more of your ability to lose fat.

If you want a normal diet that will shed weight (that does not require a major change to your eating schedule), feel free to PM me.

At a high level - eat clean
(no sugar, no starchy carbs, no sugar, no booze, lots of protein, no sugar, minimal dairy, minimal bread, no sugar)
Did I mention no sugar?

Read again. Not that diet is wrong just that real fitness is about balance. Aye carumba!

There is no single thing that does it, and no magic pill. Also it's about finding what works for the individual.

I also didn't say I know it all, and that I know what works for me. Please read that and note that I already said it in the note you responded to.

I wasn't asking for advice just making a little tongue in cheek joke about part of my routine that is a lot of fun, and has also had the effect of improving my skills in a new instrument more quickly than I thought. I used to record to odd MIDI loops and Superior Drummer, but it is a lot more fun actually playing drums on my music.

I would slash my wrists if I counted reps in a gym, or sat there watching a heart rate monitor to maximize my results based on this week's latest fad. Keto? It works, yes, but highly plant based diet with fewer processed foods is my favorite and the way my body responds best. That is not based on my blood type analysis, but close observation of what gives me the best consistent energy and best results all around. Others may be different which is whales these threads fun.

Seems to be a lot of posts saying that this is THE way, and that is fine if that is what works for you, but I started this as a bit of a joke comment and too many seemed to miss that. It is true, but not the only thing I am doing, and good nutrition is also part of it. Since I am finally getting fit enough to feel and start seeing the results I am more inspired to watch what I eat.

Generally I play for an hour or more these days, overplaying a bit so that I can experiment with what fits and push the limits musically, and then finish up with at least 20 minutes of sprint solo type drumming only stopping to wipe the sweat. I mean, anyone is welcome to do the same on treadmill while watching Tiger King ( or whatever is trending now). I know what keeps me motivated.

Fwiw, I have been healthier and fit with diet and various non-boring exercise routines, but life, work, and a bad hip that I probably broke many years ago got me way out of shape and I am making good progress. I don't mind the additional discussions, but I thought was clear that it takes diet AND exercise to really do the trick and not just one.

You guys feel free to argue about semantics and percentages, I'm gonna go play my drums then do a little yoga and meditation before I crash for the evening.

Back
Top Bottom