How Can a Chubby Aging Guitarist Get in Shape?

At the end you need a 1 min double bass blast, for the cardio.
LOL, I generally do my sprints like that, and had done more or less that before. I just turned the camera on for a couple of minutes near the end. I was already drenched in sweat with the AC set for 68 degrees and two fans blowing my way. This is such a fun way to get in shape. I do a significant stretching routine morning and nights as well, but I can't believe how much my health is improving. Only a little over a year ago I had a full hip replacement on the left side, two days after doing a gig where I had to sit on a stool playing guitar and singing. Life is good!

I convinced my wife to let me get a decent set of V-Drums as a cardio exercise machine. Also took 6 months of lessons from a pro drummer friend of mine, who taught me how to read drum charts and rudiments. I'm not saying I lost much weight, but it sure is fun when I want to the beat the heck out of something (or someone) :p

I took about two or three lessons, and realized that I do much better playing by feel than I do by reading or studying rudiments. I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and I'm really trying to not get bogged down by how you are taught to play and just go by feel on that these days. It is opening up some huge new doors even on guitar. Try playing notes that are out of key and see how fast your fingers can switch things up to resolve just letting your ear guide you for example.

If drumming made drummers lean and fit where are all the lean and fit drummers as they get older?

If you want to get a real workout join my zumba or body shape class. ;) I also just got my Strong Nation license. Or just go on long walks. That's the easiest way to burn fat. And eating healthy of course. Not starve yourself, but healthy. Good regular exercise and changing your diet to a healthy one are your best friends if you want to lose weight. You are on a long and winding road, my friend. It won't be an easy one but take heart that every journey starts with one step at a time and all journeys come to an end. And enjoy learning to play the drums of course. Learning a new instrument always enriches your life.

If drumming made drummers lean and fit where are all the lean and fit drummers as they get older?

If you want to get a real workout join my zumba or body shape class. ;) I also just got my Strong Nation license. Or just go on long walks. That's the easiest way to burn fat. And eating healthy of course. Not starve yourself, but healthy. Good regular exercise and changing your diet to a healthy one are your best friends if you want to lose weight. You are on a long and winding road, my friend. It won't be an easy one but take heart that every journey starts with one step at a time and all journeys come to an end. And enjoy learning to play the drums of course. Learning a new instrument always enriches your life.
Actually the only way that works is do something you enjoy. Drummers who just be play in context aren't going to get fit, but I overplay like a madman and supplement it with yoga, Thai Chi, Qigong and a lot of other things that are lost on most westerners. It works, I just got out of that lifestyle due to job and life changes and have gotten back into it the past year after hip replacement. Already moving very well, and the way I'm drumming does shed the weight, plus when I hold back to play in context its so easy its like cheating.

I hate to say it but the ONLY thing that really drops weight is diet. Reduce carbs, red meat, ats and sugar. Pounds will fall off quickly. Exercise hgets you toned and helps with general health and welfare and metabolism. All are very important. But I've found that THE THING that takes wieght off isn't running or aerobic exercise. Its the food we eat. But drumming. Well that's the thing.

That I agree with, and I have made a lot of changes over the past year. I tend to migrate back to a more natural and wholesome plant based diet with just a bit of meat or fish now and then. Limit breads, and rarely drink soda at all these days. Ice cream has been a weekends, but it has been weeks since I caved and had any.

Exercise is also important for toning and stretching. I hate the mind numbing gym exercises that most people in the US do. I much prefer the kind of benefits you get from Thai Chi and yoga. Speed in anything comes from being able to move slowly and totally relaxed, combined with flexibility. Counting dumbbell reps just bored the hell out of me. I used to do that when I was in my teens and twenties, but found that these methods give much greater control over your muscles. I did well with this in my 40s and prior, but keep getting sucked into surviving my day job and the work and life changes pulled me out of it.

I know what works for me, and feel that those exercises are the bulk for me. Drumming is good practice, and I always end by ramping up and doing at least 20 minutes of very aggressive and fast solo style playing, and often go for more than 30 or 40 minutes. I push harder on that than I ever did on my exercise bike.

Before lockdown, I randomly decided to weigh myself on the office gym scale one day, and was shocked to see I'd hit the 200lbs mark. I'm 6'3", and I didn't look "fat" per se, but it was definitely a wake-up call. 4 months ago that, and the cabin fever of being home all the effing time, finally got to me. So I went back to my roots.

I was a track/x-country runner from middle school all the way through college. I started out slow, and made myself get out for a mile run a day, five days a week. Then two months in I upped it to two miles a day.

Diet-wise, I've never been one for sweets, but I did shift to more plant-based meals. Not that I'm cutting meat out entirely. I also starting drinking one of those "super greens" powders every day that are loaded with prebiotics and probiotics.

Long story short, I had my first physical in ages yesterday. First time I'd be weighed since starting all this. I'm down to 182. I aim to be down to 170 by the end of the year.

Ha, ha, ha...yea, I guess most drummers (including the ones I knew) liked to party too much...look at Keith Moon...
Truer words were never spoken.

I have an ethical dilemma. One of my favorite jokes was

What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?

A drummer!

So, now that I'm finally focusing on learning drums is that still funny and can I still use it? Kinda self-deprecating but I still identify as a guitarist... Or a vocalist/guitarist... Or an engineer... producer? (Not the kind that just makes beats, the old style)

Heck, no wonder I'm such a trainwreck and have such an identity crisis. Lol

I hate to say it but the ONLY thing that really drops weight is diet. Reduce carbs, red meat, ats and sugar. Pounds will fall off quickly. Exercise hgets you toned and helps with general health and welfare and metabolism. All are very important. But I've found that THE THING that takes wieght off isn't running or aerobic exercise. Its the food we eat. But drumming. Well that's the thing.

+1. You can't outrun your diet.

Intermittent fasting.

Carnivore.

Many benefits, including, but not exclusively weight loss. Very easy to do.

If you have issues with meat....then fasting.

I was debating on posting this or not because I hate coming off like I'm part of the stereotype, but-

I went whole food/plant based 3 years ago and dropped 55lbs. in about 10 weeks without hitting the gym once. Took me a little bit to figure out what worked for me, either with meal ideas or the health aspect, but my last blood test results had my doctor nearly shitting a brick because you literally couldn't ask for better results. He ended up writing down the supplement I take along with several of the meals I make so he could relay the information to several of his patients.

What really blew my mind was that I dealt with neck and joint pain for almost 20 years. 4 out of 7 days a week, I had a stiff neck and would have to turn my body to talk to people. 4 weeks after I stopped eating animal products it went away. Carpel tunnel issues are so rare these days I'm not even considering surgery anymore and it used to put me out of commission for days. Libido and energy levels increased considerably around the same time. Easily one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I was debating on posting this or not because I hate coming off like I'm part of the stereotype, but-

I went whole food/plant based 3 years ago and dropped 55lbs. in about 10 weeks without hitting the gym once. Took me a little bit to figure out what worked for me, either with meal ideas or the health aspect, but my last blood test results had my doctor nearly shitting a brick because you literally couldn't ask for better results. He ended up writing down the supplement I take along with several of the meals I make so he could relay the information to several of his patients.

What really blew my mind was that I dealt with neck and joint pain for almost 20 years. 4 out of 7 days a week, I had a stiff neck and would have to turn my body to talk to people. 4 weeks after I stopped eating animal products it went away. Carpel tunnel issues are so rare these days I'm not even considering surgery anymore and it used to put me out of commission for days. Libido and energy levels increased considerably around the same time. Easily one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Interesting.

I was a vegetarian for the last couple of years, but didn’t feel great that often. Then I saw a number of people whose opinions I respect touting the benefits of carnivore, so I did the research and decided to give it a shot.

Transformative. All the benefits you described and a number of others: constant energy level, heightened focus, amazing sleep, cured my acid reflex, blood pressure is perfect now, and blood work is ideal, with the exception of cholesterol as you would expect, but if you do the research you’ll see thats not a concern Like we’ve been lead to believe. For many it has been the answer for Immune disorders as well. You end up fasting anyway because you are never hungry and you don’t have an emotional attachment to food.

Been great for the wife as well.

Look at cultures where the geography/climate dictate the diet...no cancer, no heart disease, no diabetes.

Not saying it’s for everyone, but it warrants consideration. And I think we can all agree that processed sugars and carbs should be avoided no matter what route you take.

I gotta agree with this 100%. I've had serious back and neck issues. All but gone. I used to go to the chiropractor twice a week before the lockdown. Now I've been once. I used to go to physical therapy twice a week as well. I haven't been back since. I had super high cholesterol. It's come dramatically down. I'm due for some more testing after the Prolon diet this week - my third.

Back
Top Bottom